2017 Acceptances

On 3/4/2017 at 3:17 AM, orphic_mel528 said:

1. Express your gratitude for the offer. Don't be overly effusive.

2. Ask questions about cost of living and additional expenses, such as graduate education fees, and whether there is subsidy available for traveling to conferences/additional financing for thesis/dissertation research...

3. ...because you would very much like to work with the faculty in that program and continue your studies there, but you need more information to make a decision between offers according to your financial situation.

That's what I'd say, anyway.

That was very helpful. Thank you :)

I was just accepted with a fully funded GTA position to Oklahoma State University! I am so excited about this!  I was also accepted to University of Tennessee, Knoxville, but I was put on the wait list for funding.  I am going to look over my options (as in, seeing what my funding options would be at UTK if I a am pushed up off the wait list) for about a week before making my final decision, but I am leaning towards OSU right now.  

15 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Did Imogen get her sweep? 

Not sure! Last I heard she was still waiting on GWU, though they sent out some acceptances, so it's hard to say...

4 minutes ago, Courtney Whited said:

I was just accepted with a fully funded GTA position to Oklahoma State University! I am so excited about this!  I was also accepted to University of Tennessee, Knoxville, but I was put on the wait list for funding.  I am going to look over my options (as in, seeing what my funding options would be at UTK if I a am pushed up off the wait list) for about a week before making my final decision, but I am leaning towards OSU right now.  

Congrats, Courtney! That's huge news!

On 3/2/2017 at 10:05 PM, biyutefulphlower said:

I'm waiting on the U of Florida too. When I spoke to the DGS, I was told they will be sending out info in 'early March'. I'm hoping we'll hear in the next 2 weeks.

I heard from them last week. 

17 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Did Imogen get her sweep? 

16 hours ago, Yanaka said:

@imogenshakes, where are you in your "sweep"? hihi

Hey! Sorry guys, I've just returned from Cali and this whole west coast -> east coast jet lag with daylight savings is messing me UP. I'm quite tired and behind on...well, everything. haha

I'm still not sure if I got the sweep. No word from GWU either way, and my portal is still blank. I'm actually going to send a follow-up email today at the encouragement of my mentors, who say by this point it's perfectly acceptable to do so. I'm probably not going there, but it would still be nice to know. 

Believe me, you guys will be some of the first to hear either way! I still have my fingers crossed, but feel it's unlikely at this point, since I haven't heard a peep.

Hi,

I am an international student and I have applied to several schools for PhD in Public Policy for Fall-2017. My master's is in Public Policy from the University of Texas at Arlington (GPA:3.75), another master's in Public Policy and Governance from the North South University in Bangladesh (GPA: 3.36), Bachelor in Social Work from the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh (GPA: 3.35, top in the class). My GRE scores are 148 (V), 149 (Q), 3.0 (AW). I also have four years of research experiences with different international NGOs. I have applied to
1. American University,
2. University of Maryland College Park,
3. University of Maryland Baltimore County,
4. Rutgers University,
5. University of Mass Boston,
6. Georgia State.
I already received rejection from the Rutgers, UMBC, and Georgia State. I understand that I picked up very high ranked schools comparing to my profile.

Yesterday I received an email from the American University. It says that my application is still under consideration for the second round acceptance depending on the number of candidates who accept their offers in the first round. They also mention that there is an option for concurrent consideration for admission to one of their master's degree programs, and my file would be given priority for merit award consideration. I am little confused what should I do. I would appreciate if someone would help me with suggestion in this regard.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

@t. slothrop, I'm assuming an implied rejection from Utah. :) I did call over & they said official rejections were being sent out late this week, so should be getting mine soon. This was my only rejection this season of 5 applications, so I am at peace with it! Thanks for the update!

On 5/29/1438 at 6:31 AM, ProfessionalNerd said:

This is the common sense answer, but it feels strange all the same. 

indeed!

being torn between good programs is already overwhelming.

i made it a point to visit all campuses - took a long while, unpaid days off, from Lebanon to the USA where I stayed for 4 weeks

everyone is so kind and warm and lovely and friendly and I feel guilty already - although i have not made my choice!! ahhh!!

congrats to everyone - and sorry for lurking; i was away and just came back from all the visits

keep the faith guys!!

Alright, so I finally caved and emailed GWU. They just emailed and said that they are still working through decisions. They've made official offers, and are still "very interested" in my "strong application" and she they would have more information for me in a couple of weeks. So...do I read this as a waitlist? This feels waitlisty to me. haha 

Edited by imogenshakes

13 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Alright, so I finally caved and emailed GWU. They just emailed and said that they are still working through decisions. They've made official offers, and are still "very interested" in my "strong application" and she they would have more information for me in a couple of weeks. So...do I read this as a waitlist? This feels waitlisty to me. haha 

That sounds like an "implied waitlist" -- not sure I've seen those words used together yet this cycle, but there's a first time for everything! :P

2 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

That sounds like an "implied waitlist" -- not sure I've seen those words used together yet this cycle, but there's a first time for everything! :P

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that's what she meant. But hey, it's not an outright rejection! Not like it matters, but I started to assume that since I hadn't heard anything they were planning to reject me. Whatevs :P I really just want to satisfy my own curiosity about the potential sweep, but honestly, I really can't complain at this point. haha

Hello there,

My friend was accepted to English PhD program at Oklahoma State University approximately a month ago. She received a mail stating that funding information will be given in couple of weeks (after decisions). Also, it has been added that most of the PhD students is funded. However, there is a big silence since then. Any suggestions about what she should do? Should she call the department and ask or might it be negative impression if decisions are not still not made?

Thanks in advance.  

@otobus, I wouldn't feel bad about calling the department at this point if they said "a few weeks," but maybe she wants to wait just a little bit longer. At this point I think it's fair game. 

In other news, I got the email today that says that I'm no longer on the waitlist for UMass Amherst!! I have an interview for a TAship soon, but I just got a lot closer to going to my #1 choice :D 

54 minutes ago, FeetInTheSky said:

@otobus, I wouldn't feel bad about calling the department at this point if they said "a few weeks," but maybe she wants to wait just a little bit longer. At this point I think it's fair game. 

In other news, I got the email today that says that I'm no longer on the waitlist for UMass Amherst!! I have an interview for a TAship soon, but I just got a lot closer to going to my #1 choice :D 

Hooray! This is great news, congratulations! Fingers crossed that the interview goes well and you snag that TAship!