Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

womp. 

Really starting to look hard at the likelihood of striking out. I probably should have applied to MA programs....

Feeling the same way. I haven't received any rejections yet (most of my schools are still a few weeks away from announcing), but I'm getting this heavy vibe that I shot too high and didn't throw out a wide enough net. I wouldn't have been happy with a wider net, as I applied only to schools I was really excited about, but at this point I'd almost be willing to pay $60 just to decline a Ph.D. acceptance. ha. 

I FEED ON YOUR VALIDATION. mwahah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just checked OSU's website. I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Congratulations - you have been offered admission! Use the link on the main page of the Applicant Center to accept or decline

I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND! Thank God! I cried in my office for an hour because this is the best news I've heard all year. 

Guys, I've just been accepted to BC I'm completely in shock, I knew they only accept  like 4-5 people so I applied assuming I'd be considered for the MA! Email said I'm accepted to the PhD i

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

In other news, congrats to the person who got accepted to Bowling Green! It's amazing that they were able to keep operating in the wake of the massacre... ;)

HA. 

I work as a technical writer and I spent about 20 minutes in Photoshop this morning whipping up an "I STAND WITH BOWLING GREEN" Facebook profile picture. I try not to be too political online, so I ended up not using it, but it kept me giggling for a few hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

womp. 

Really starting to look hard at the likelihood of striking out. I probably should have applied to MA programs....

Bienvenido/a in my world!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Sorry, JW. But remember that it's still early! And on the subject of M.A. programs, UMD is known for offering quite a few to people who didn't quite make the Ph.D. cut (including yours truly). With the TA / RA options on campus, the M.A. can essentially be fully funded with a significant stipend. Since you're an applicant with a B.A., this is a significant possibility for you...

---

In other news, congrats to the person who got accepted to Bowling Green! It's amazing that they were able to keep operating in the wake of the massacre... ;)
 

Indeed. Thanks for the encouragement... we shall see where it goes. If only I can be as lucky! 

And thanks for the commiseration, all...

And yes, such heros at Bowling Green! 

Edited by JeremyWrites
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

womp. 

Really starting to look hard at the likelihood of striking out. I probably should have applied to MA programs....

The majority of schools haven't made their decisions yet. But there are some MA programs that haven't reached their deadlines yet. A few of them don't have it until March.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kilos said:

Feeling the same way. I haven't received any rejections yet (most of my schools are still a few weeks away from announcing), but I'm getting this heavy vibe that I shot too high and didn't throw out a wide enough net. I wouldn't have been happy with a wider net, as I applied only to schools I was really excited about, but at this point I'd almost be willing to pay $60 just to decline a Ph.D. acceptance. ha. 

I FEED ON YOUR VALIDATION. mwahah.

While casting a wide net can be important, it doesn't make sense if you wouldn't be happy at the school. It is a 5-6-7-10 year process for most people depending on the program's requirements. Not being excited would mean that you'd be more likely to drop out and not complete what you came for. In the end, it's better to have 1 really good school that you're excited about rather than 5 schools that you'd rather not attend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Warelin said:

While casting a wide net can be important, it doesn't make sense if you wouldn't be happy at the school. It is a 5-6-7-10 year process for most people depending on the program's requirements. Not being excited would mean that you'd be more likely to drop out and not complete what you came for. In the end, it's better to have 1 really good school that you're excited about rather than 5 schools that you'd rather not attend.

I unequivocally agree, and that's at the core of why I only applied to a (relative) handful of schools. It doesn't change the fact that it's really going to sting when I don't get into any of the Ph.D. programs I really wanted to get into. If anything, it might make it a bit harder on a personal level, because these weren't just throw-away schools, they're the schools and programs that I felt would most impact my future or change my life. Still, I'm in complete agreement--I'm not about to start haphazardly throwing out applications just for the hell of it, I was just joking that any acceptance would feel good at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sunsy said:

AHHHH I GOT INTO HOPKINS!!!!!!!

I'm shaking and freaking out you guys. This is a dream come true, especially since my brother is there now getting his PhD!

Way to go! It's a small program, but full of rock stars. Sharon Achinstein in particular is a delight -- I attended a great talk of hers on Milton last spring. And Baltimore is a lovely city. Congrats!!

Edited by Wyatt's Terps
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

I've been accepted to two programs so far: Kansas State and West Virginia University. I know these aren't exactly top ranking programs (although, truthfully, I applied to a lot of lower ranking programs since I only have a ~3.7 UG GPA from a UK uni), but I haven't heard much about them on the forums. Anyone else applied to either MA program? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on Johns Hopkins, y'all! That's great news!

I just got wait listed at Rochester via email. Which like. Is also okay news, although given that this is my second wait list in a row I'm starting to feel like everyone's second choice. Oh well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, claritus said:

Adding myself to the Hopkins admits!! I feel like I'm losing my mind a little bit right now. @Sunsy and @piers_plowman, it will be great to meet you two :)

Congratulations!! I very much hope you both attend the visiting weekend so we can reconvene our GC forum there. It would be cathartic after all this anxious hand-wringing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Congratulations!! I very much hope you both attend the visiting weekend so we can reconvene our GC forum there. It would be cathartic after all this anxious hand-wringing.

Yes! I intend to attend (lol) and it'll be great to have a little GC moment. Super thrilling! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

Guyyyyys where's my UT Austin email?? Is anyone else still waiting to hear?? 

FWIW, in the past UT has done acceptances/rejections in waves, so not everyone hears right away. I don't know how they're doing it this year, but I wouldn't consider the admission decisions closed yet.

If anyone has questions about UT grad life, I'm happy to answer them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

I'm curious if the person who posted about UT - Knoxville meant to post for UT - Austin. I'm waiting for the University of Tennessee and my heart jumped a bit; it also seems a bit early for Knoxville.

I meant Tennessee, so I put that down. Just checked today and got rejected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, piers_plowman said:
1 hour ago, Sunsy said:

AHHHH I GOT INTO HOPKINS!!!!!!!

I'm shaking and freaking out you guys. This is a dream come true, especially since my brother is there now getting his PhD!

I'm into Hopkins as well! Congrats Sunsy!! I can't believe it, I've rechecked the email like ten times

Congats to all 3 of you! It is a really great program and one I have my eye on for next year.

1 hour ago, claritus said:

Adding myself to the Hopkins admits!! I feel like I'm losing my mind a little bit right now. @Sunsy and @piers_plowman, it will be great to meet you two :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.