2017 Acceptances

5 hours ago, tennesseewilliams said:

Hi, I haven't really posted much on here, but I'm so excited! I got into my top choice, University of Oregon. No first year funding, but a tuition waiver & TA job the second year! Although I received a fully funded offer elsewhere, Oregon really feels like a better fit for me (not to mention that it's higher in rank than the other school), so I hope I can figure something out that can help with first year tuition. 

I know most people (and possibly common sense, haha) would advise that I go with the fully funded offer, but I feel so strongly about UO, I'm wondering if going into a little debt might be worth it... what do you all think?

With respect to the place where you got the fully funded offer: are there faculty members there working in your field? (I presume so, since you applied there.) Are there resources there to further your research interests? If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then you should take the fully funded offer. Students loan debt can be crippling, and you will get less far professionally if you have to take on second and third jobs to finance your graduate education. That cuts out time for publishing and research, which are critical to a strong job portfolio.

Even though you feel UO is a strong match for you, if it isn't funding you in the first year then its "fit" value is at least a little less compelling. Funding is a resource, just like faculty/library/university resources. 

If possible, I might try to leverage full funding from UO by bringing up your fully funded offer. The ad comm should know that you're a desirable candidate, and desirable candidates deserve to be funded. You could say something to the effect of, "I'm attracted to UO for X, Y, and Z reasons, but I am also considering a fully funded offer from Other University, and funding will be a primary factor in my decision."

I got my official funding offer from Oxford today (covering tuition, college fees and maintenance for three years), and I can't freaking believe it!!! :o My head hasn't quite taken it in yet... While I've been wanting to go to Oxford since like forever, and while I think I'd work well with my supervisor there, I'm also completely terrified now. I'd have to finish in three years, and I'm a bit younger than most of my cohort, so a little insecure about my 'academic maturity' (if that's a thing), and my readiness for the dissertation. On the other hand, UChicago gives substantially more money than Oxford (despite the Oxford-scholarship being a full one), it's a fantastic program, and it would grant me more time to develop and grow up. At the same time I feel like I'd be selling out my dream just for lack of guts if I went there... Ugh, shouldn't be moping about what I realise is really an incredibly blessed and very lucky position to be in (but existential crises have never been my friends)! :unsure:

45 minutes ago, Captain Cabinets said:

I got my official funding offer from Oxford today (covering tuition, college fees and maintenance for three years), and I can't freaking believe it!!! :o My head hasn't quite taken it in yet... While I've been wanting to go to Oxford since like forever, and while I think I'd work well with my supervisor there, I'm also completely terrified now. I'd have to finish in three years, and I'm a bit younger than most of my cohort, so a little insecure about my 'academic maturity' (if that's a thing), and my readiness for the dissertation. On the other hand, UChicago gives substantially more money than Oxford (despite the Oxford-scholarship being a full one), it's a fantastic program, and it would grant me more time to develop and grow up. At the same time I feel like I'd be selling out my dream just for lack of guts if I went there... Ugh, shouldn't be moping about what I realise is really an incredibly blessed and very lucky position to be in (but existential crises have never been my friends)! :unsure:

First off, Congratulations!

Secondly, look around at Chicago for a bit then go for your dream if your dream doesn't change with what you learn. Rest comfortably in knowing that no matter what you choose, you'll end up in a program that will open tons of opportunities for you as a scholar. 

On 3/27/2017 at 9:48 PM, Captain Cabinets said:

On 3/27/2017 at 10:43 PM, positivitize said:

First off, Congratulations!

Secondly, look around at Chicago for a bit then go for your dream if your dream doesn't change with what you learn. Rest comfortably in knowing that no matter what you choose, you'll end up in a program that will open tons of opportunities for you as a scholar. 

As a current Oxford DPhil, I would caution against the flippancy of the above advice.  Both U of Chicago and Oxford will indeed open tonnes of opportunities for you as a scholar, but these opportunities will likely be very different.  Would you prefer an academic career in the US?  Choose U of Chicago.  Do you plan on staying in Britain?  Oxford.  

'Following your dream' is probably not the most sensible thing to do here, as you are choosing between two very different programmes.  Would you benefit from course breadth and structure, or are you comfortable in your knowledge and eager to begin your dissertation?  I would recommend looking very closely at what types of academic experiences these programmes offer, as, at the end of the day, that is what matters.  

Final thought: choosing U of Chicago is absolutely not demonstrating a 'lack of guts'!  One of the MSt students here is heading to U of Chicago next year for her PhD--her supervisor recommended this move because it is 'better than Harvard'.  All in all, you've got great options :)  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

1 hour ago, kingfisherscatchfire said:

As a current Oxford DPhil, I would caution against the flippancy of the above advice.  Both U of Chicago and Oxford will indeed open tonnes of opportunities for you as a scholar, but these opportunities will likely be very different.  Would you prefer an academic career in the US?  Choose U of Chicago.  Do you plan on staying in Britain?  Oxford.  

'Following your dream' is probably not the most sensible thing to do here, as you are choosing between two very different programmes.  Would you benefit from course breadth and structure, or are you comfortable in your knowledge and eager to begin your dissertation?  I would recommend looking very closely at what types of academic experiences these programmes offer, as, at the end of the day, that is what matters.  

Final thought: choosing U of Chicago is absolutely not demonstrating a 'lack of guts'!  One of the MSt students here is heading to U of Chicago next year for her PhD--her supervisor recommended this move because it is 'better than Harvard'.  All in all, you've got great options :)  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Thanks so much for the helpful advice! I think I did frame my initial post a little flippantly, but I have put some thought and research into it! All in all, having done as much research as can without visiting, I feel like Oxford would be a better fit for me, but what is putting me off is a bit of insecurity about my readiness for the dissertation. Am I eager to begin? Yes, and I think I'd become very frustrated if I only got around to it four years into the programme, as at UChicago. Am I 'comfortable in my knowledge'? No, I'm scared I know too little. That being said, I have some inklings, and my Master's (which I'm currently finishing off) is research based, and in a similar vein to my DPhil topic, so I might be needlessly harping on my insecurities. There's no way of really telling, I suppose. Hence the flippant 'lack of guts.' I really was massively impressed by UChicago's programme, and I haven't visited at Oxford, but my general sense from correspondence with my supervisor and with friends who studied there is that I'd fit better into the sort of research environment Oxford would offer, as opposed to UChicago's structure and broad course-work (my major 'fear' at UChicago would be that I might be gently and unknowingly guided into producing a kind of research I don't really like or personally value, but this too might be framed as 'lack of guts,' I suppose). The fact that it is such a great programme is making it hard to decide though, as either way I'd be passing up on wonderful and formative, albeit very different academic and intellectual experiences, and I don't really know which would be best for me in the long run. I think I will PM you!

On 3/30/2017 at 12:30 PM, JessicaLange said:

So, when is it appropriate to contact a program? I just want final decisions before I commit to the program I think I'm going to.

When you got your current decision. If your acceptance of an offer really is hinging on another program rejecting you then contact them for an update (could say something like: I have been accepted to a program but before making final decisions I would like to hear from X University. Do you have a timeline on when I will be notified of the admission decision?).

If an acceptance from another school won't change your mind on committing to a current acceptance though, probably not worth spending time on schools taking too long to notify you.

3 hours ago, rld07 said:

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere in this 65 page deep thread, but:

PSA: If you've accepted, tell every school you haven't been denied at about your decision! It helps us poor sods in funding/waitlist purgatory.

Amen!!!!! 

Congrats to all! I'm already attending but I enjoyed watch from the sidelines this year and giving whatever insights I could through DMs and the like. 

edit: I've obviously changed my nametag because I'm no longer as big of a fan of television shows as I used to be! 

Edited by iExcelAtMicrosoftPuns
identity

On 06/04/2017 at 1:50 PM, ShakesRos said:

Sorry to bug you, but is your friend coming from her BA or MA? I'm crossing my fingers they pluck me off the waitlist!

Hi. I know I'm being annoying...but...any chance your friend has notified Tufts that she is declining? 

6 hours ago, sgc001 said:

Yayayayaya! I've been accepted at Arizona State! Matched with my dream advisor and got a pretty decent funding package.

Congrats. I was there for HASTAC last summer and it's a pretty campus with some interesting work going on. I would have died if I had to live there year round, though, as it's hotter than the devil's taint.

9 hours ago, bhr said:

Congrats. I was there for HASTAC last summer and it's a pretty campus with some interesting work going on. I would have died if I had to live there year round, though, as it's hotter than the devil's taint.

Thanks for your congrats! Yes, I'm really excited--I've already Google Maps'ed the entire campus. :D

Currently in southeast Texas--which is almost as hot and twice as humid. I'll be alright! :D

On 3/22/2017 at 8:07 AM, DaisyMiller said:

I've been trying to hold out, but I just have to ask, does anyone know anything about when Columbia Lit MA decisions will be made? 

I'm in the same position. The Feb. 17 deadline is admittedly late, even for MA programs, which likely explains why they're not so swift with their decisions. However, I did see one acceptance come through in the results section approximately one week ago, so responses are certainly out there...