Fall 2017 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

b_brew

Profile: BS in Aerospace Engineering from UIUC with computational focus (computational science, computer vision, numerical methods). Independent studies with two professors in computational areas. Graduate coursework in computational science and numerical methods. Internship with Jet Propulsion Lab doing computer vision work on drones. Worked 3 years with Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) building guidance/control algorithms, machine learning algorithms, and other assorted mathematical algorithms for missiles; designed and built weapon prediction, simulation and planning app at RMS for mobile devices so SOCOM weapon operators could better plan missions (vs doing it on paper). Built lots of open source mathematical and other software (optimal control, numerical optimization, simulation, lexical analyzer, etc.) that has been used at RMS on many systems.

GPA: 3.53/4.0 (Overall) | 3.71/4.0 (AE) | 3.78/4.0 (Graduate Coursework)

GRE: 163Q / 157V / 5.5A

Accepted:

• UIUC MS w/ funding

Rejected:

• U. Wisconsin - Madison MS

TBD:

• Berkeley PhD
  • U. Michigan PhD
  • Gatech PhD

Comments: I have been very nervous about getting in anywhere after I got rejected from UW Madison in early February. I actually lined up a new job offer working on DARPA funded prototype weapons at Lockheed just a couple days before getting accepted at UIUC. At this point, I expect to go to UIUC and pass up the opportunity with Lockheed, even though I think it sounds awesome. I would probably choose UIUC MS over the TBD schools, except for possibly Berkeley (which I don't expect an acceptance from).

Profile: American citizen. Went to a top tier private research school for a bachelor's in mathematics. Didn't do so well in undergrad (low GPA). Worked for a bit and then went back to grad school at a small state school for a MS in math. Applying to PhD programs only. 

Specialization: Less pure/theoretical CS, more data science and information science. My specializations are big data analysis, machine learning, and data visualization.

GPA: 3.2/4.0 (undergrad), 4.0/4.0 (grad)

GRE: 170Q / 164V / 5.0A

Research: Small undergrad project (funded, no publication). Larger grad project (funded, no publication). The latter paid for my MS + living expenses in full.

Work experience: Data scientist, employed for a few years now

Accepted (CS and related only): None

Rejected (CS and related only): NYU CS, Cornell InfoSci, Stanford ICME

Waiting (CS and related only): UMD Information Systems, UMich CS, NYU CDS

Comments: I think at this point I can just write off my chances of getting in anywhere. Oh well, I'll cry into a paycheck from my six-figure salary once I receive my last rejection (as you can clearly see, I have a very bad case of sour grapes right now).

Edited by poopyhead

On 2/27/2017 at 7:08 PM, poopyhead said:

Profile: American citizen. Went to a top tier private research school for a bachelor's in mathematics. Didn't do so well in undergrad (low GPA). Worked for a bit and then went back to grad school at a small state school for a MS in math. Applying to PhD programs only. 

Specialization: Less pure/theoretical CS, more data science and information science. My specializations are big data analysis, machine learning, and data visualization.

GPA: 3.2/4.0 (undergrad), 4.0/4.0 (grad)

GRE: 170Q / 164V / 5.0A

Research: Small undergrad project (funded, no publication). Larger grad project (funded, no publication). The latter paid for my MS + living expenses in full.

Work experience: Data scientist, employed for a few years now

Accepted (CS and related only): None

Rejected (CS and related only): NYU CS, Cornell InfoSci, Stanford ICME

Waiting (CS and related only): UMD Information Systems, UMich CS, NYU CDS

Comments: I think at this point I can just write off my chances of getting in anywhere. Oh well, I'll cry into a paycheck from my six-figure salary once I receive my last rejection (as you can clearly see, I have a very bad case of sour grapes right now).

Was your rejection from NYU from Courant (GSAS) or Tandon? 

1 hour ago, mcaleste said:

Was your rejection from NYU from Courant (GSAS) or Tandon? 

Tandon. I also applied to GSAS (data science PhD) and haven't heard back, which is essentially a rejection since they already had their invitational on-campus event. 

1 hour ago, Cyril said:

PhD UIUC,UM, UMD, NYU, CU Boulder, CUNY still waiting :( 

I'm waiting for UIUC decision as well, I have seen quite a number of acceptances in the results search..It might just be a rejection afterall, I'm sure we will know for sure in 2weeks

2 minutes ago, b_brew said:

I'm waiting for UIUC decision as well, I have seen quite a number of acceptances in the results search..It might just be a rejection afterall, I'm sure we will know for sure in 2weeks

I didn't see any for UIUC PhD applications though. Yeah most probably that would be the case.

Just now, Cyril said:

I didn't see any for UIUC PhD applications though. Yeah most probably that would be the case.

The results were in early January

On 3/6/2017 at 11:20 PM, mynamjef said:

b_brew and cyril, are you applying for the masters, phd, or some other program? (I'm applying for MCS, which would fall under some other)

I'm applying for PhD programs. 

Profile: International.  Went to a public state uni for both undergrad and MS.  Top of the class in both.  Currently working as a lab technician and undergrad professor at the same uni.  8+ years of undergrad teaching experience.  Applying to PhD programs only.

Specialization: Machine learning, information retrieval and pattern recognition.

GPA: 3.68/4.0 (undergrad), 4.0/4.0 (grad)

GRE: 167Q / 162V / 4.0A

SOP: not sure, it's my first time writing one.  I wasn't too specific on research topic interests.

LOR: should be strong.  One from my MS advisor.  2 from grad professors and 1 from friend in the same field.  No famous people, tough.

Research: 1 publication as lead author in an international pattern recognition congress.

Applied to: Purdue (West Lafayette), Notre Dame and Pittsburgh.  Haven't heard from any of them yet.

Comments: I wasn't feeling discouraged before reading this thread.  I figured "no news is good news", at least I haven't been rejected yet.  Yesterday I emailed the admissions department of all 3 uni's and so far have only gotten a response from Purdue which stated that  my "application is still under review, which may take until mid-april"  I figured that means I've been wait-listed or something.  What do you guys think?  Is it too late for some good news? I check for results every day and acceptances are still being posted every so often.

53 minutes ago, lfguzman said:

Comments: I wasn't feeling discouraged before reading this thread.  I figured "no news is good news", at least I haven't been rejected yet.  Yesterday I emailed the admissions department of all 3 uni's and so far have only gotten a response from Purdue which stated that  my "application is still under review, which may take until mid-april"  I figured that means I've been wait-listed or something.  What do you guys think?  Is it too late for some good news? I check for results every day and acceptances are still being posted every so often.

Hi @lfguzman.  I too applied at Purdue and Notre Dame, but have yet to hear my decision. I can't say about Purdue, but at least at Notre Dame I don't think it necessarily means you've been waitlisted/rejected. If you emailed the actual graduate school you'll likely get just a standard email saying that they don't really know about department decisions and every department does it differently. That's what I got.

I had Skype interviews with a couple of professors there several months ago, and saw those same professors during the visit weekend. I've stayed in contact with one. I asked them if they knew anything about my application, but they didn't know anything other than that there was no internal decision made yet. They aren't personally on the admissions committee, but they said the committee does admits in rounds and it might be April before they make all their decisions. So no news may be "good" news in this case. We'll just have to wait and see. 

On 8/3/2017 at 10:28 AM, kurfew007 said:

Hi @lfguzman.  I too applied at Purdue and Notre Dame, but have yet to hear my decision. I can't say about Purdue, but at least at Notre Dame I don't think it necessarily means you've been waitlisted/rejected. If you emailed the actual graduate school you'll likely get just a standard email saying that they don't really know about department decisions and every department does it differently. That's what I got.

I had Skype interviews with a couple of professors there several months ago, and saw those same professors during the visit weekend. I've stayed in contact with one. I asked them if they knew anything about my application, but they didn't know anything other than that there was no internal decision made yet. They aren't personally on the admissions committee, but they said the committee does admits in rounds and it might be April before they make all their decisions. So no news may be "good" news in this case. We'll just have to wait and see. 

Hey @kurfew007 thanks for the reply!  On a brief update, I've since gotten responses from both ND and Pitt.  ND's was "At this time applications are still being reviewed. Decisions have not yet been made. We thank you sincerely for your patience." and Pitt's was "...a decision will likely be made within 6-8 weeks approximately by the mid-week of March. We thank you for your patience...".  It's a little comforting to at least know that they're still reviewing applications and that not all hope is lost.  I'm a little worried that I didn't get to have an interview, though.  Anyhow, I wish you and everyone here the best of luck! Maybe we'll see each other there!

On 2/9/2017 at 4:50 PM, mynamjef said:

Profile: poor undergrad grades at UIUC, transferred and finished BS in Computer Science at sister school with 3.5GPA, 2 year software developer experience for USPS, 9 credits @ 3.89GPA of 400 level CS coursework done online thru UIUC (non-degree student)

GRE: Q168/V158 

Focus is limited to top tier online Masters CS programs with no thesis/research portion

Awaiting results for:

UIUC MCS - applied January 14th

Georgia Tech MS CS - waiting for UIUC decision before submission

I got in! emailed received today 2:12PM

On 2/22/2017 at 9:44 PM, underscore_frosty said:

Academic profile: American male with a BS in CS from a comprehensive, state/regional university that is not well known. One, roughly 6 month REU experience (not to toot my own horn, but I received an extension to the award for my apparently excellent work) which resulted in a poster presentation at the NSF REU Symposium. Additionally, high marks in senior level CS electives (4 or 5, I'll have to take a look at my transcript) and high marks in a research oriented CS class (3 research projects + 1 lecture on a topic of our choosing).

Experience: 4 years IT experience, currently employed as an information security analyst, 2 years tutoring in a dynamic, laboratory environment.

Publications: 1 poster presentation at a national level conference/symposium (see above).

GPA: 3.50 cumulative, 3.58 major.

GRE: 158Q, 164V, 4.5W

LORs: 3 strong LORs. One from my (former) advisor (former because I redeclared in a different catalog year which for some reason assigned me a new advisor), one from a professor who has continually encouraged me to attend graduate school (who also taught the research oriented CS class), and one from my REU advisor/mentor.

SOP:  Learned from my mistakes the first time round and definitely improved.

Program(s):  PhD, MS (thesis option)

Schools: BSU (MS, where I did my REU), EWU (MS, my home institution), WSU (PhD)

UPDATE:

• BSU (MS in CS, thesis option): Accepted as of 4 hours ago with funding. Email direct from the Director of Graduate Studies who is also the Professor I want to work with. Area of interest here is formal methods in SE.
  • WSU (PhD): Still waiting...
  • EWU (MS in CS, thesis option): Still waiting...

5 hours ago, underscore_frosty said:

UPDATE:

• BSU (MS in CS, thesis option): Accepted as of 4 hours ago with funding. Email direct from the Director of Graduate Studies who is also the Professor I want to work with. Area of interest here is formal methods in SE.

Congrats on your acceptance..

15 hours ago, mynamjef said:

I got in! emailed received today 2:12PM

Congrats I'm happy for you

On 2/18/2017 at 1:20 PM, kurfew007 said:

UPDATE

Schools and Decisions: 

• Purdue      N/A
  • University of Colorado - Boulder      N/A
  • Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute     Rejected on 01/24/2017
  • Indiana University       N/A
  • University of Notre Dame        Waitlisted on 03/16/2017
  • Vanderbilt University      N/A
  • University of Oregon      N/A
  • University of Tennessee - Knoxville        Admitted on 02/06/2017 
  • Kansas State University         Admitted on 02/14/2017
  • University of Central Florida         Admitted on 02/17/2017
  • University of Kentucky       N/A
  • Washington State University        N/A

Just got the email from Notre Dame that I'm waitlisted.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:04 PM, underscore_frosty said:

UPDATE:

UPDATE:

• WSU (PhD): Meeting with POI either in person tomorrow morning (he'll be in my neck of the woods tomorrow for a conference), or a chat over the phone on Friday.

Getting a little excited about this. This is the same POI I talked with last year when I applied (but had to withdraw my application since my graduation was delayed by A YEAR :angry:). It seemed like I made a good impression last year because he asked me, if they were able to secure some sort of funding for an REU type experience, whether I would be interested in such a position over the summer. To hear back from him again this year is a very good sign.