Second Meeting With Potential PhD Advisor

atl1017

Question

Hello Everyone,

This is a follow up/ part 2 to an earlier question that I have posted:
http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/85886-advice-on-contacting-potential-phd-advisors/#comment-1058425898 If you want to read it for some context that may help you answer my questions but I'll give you the brief summary.

I have applied to a PhD program at Georgia State. After already applying one of the professors in the program replied to an email and told me that next time I should try and contact a professor in the program for potential advisement. So I actually winded up meeting with that professor right before thanksgiving and we discussed why I wanted to be in the program and just the program in general. I asked whether or not there was potential for him to advise me for my PhD. He told me something along the lines of "There is potential but funding may be an issue" which he proceeded to tell me about other opportunities such as teaching assistantships. Then he took me around to show me the labs, introduced me to some other professors and talked about some of the work he did.

So in the first meeting I really didn't get the hard "Yes" answer I was looking for as far as him being my advisor is concerned. It seemed like more of a "maybe so." After a little I have now been able to set up a second meeting with him next week. I suppose this is a good sign but what things should I be asking him in particular? Also what would be the best way to ask if he would approve my application and be my advisor?

Any advise would really help. Thank you

2 answers to this question

A lot of times the professors' hands are tied because of funding. You might be the perfect fit for the lab, but if the professor can't fund you and you don't have your own funding, they may not be able to take you. 

You can ask him when does he expect to hear back from that particular grant. If this is the lab you have your heart set on, and you are willing to take the risk, you can strike a deal with the professor. Ask if there is money to fund your first year, and you will apply to fellowships so you can fund the rest of your program. I have friends who made similar arrangements with their advisors.

@bposadas Thank you very much. This is actually great advice and will give me something to start off conversation with. I know there are some grants/fellowships available and can see about application process and his thoughts on all that.