Rejection Thread

hector549

8 minutes ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

I'm happy you got accepted somewhere early enough in the season to mitigate the disappointment of rejections. 

I assume that the success I've had so far won't last (especially as responses from higher ranked schools start coming), and it's a huge relief to know early that I got accepted somewhere.

Aye! it is quite the balm. The prospect of other offers, however, seems a little bit more dim if I'm rejected at an unranked program that I felt somewhat confident I would get into. My confidence was misplaced.

5 minutes ago, Turretin said:

Aye! it is quite the balm. The prospect of other offers, however, seems a little bit more dim if I'm rejected at an unranked program that I felt somewhat confident I would get into. My confidence was misplaced.

I know a lot of people who got into programs that were ranked a lot higher than the ones from which they were rejected. I wouldn't worry yet! 

Last year, a friend of mine was rejected from Texas A&M, but got into a PGR top 40. This is not as rare as people think from my experience. 

14 minutes ago, mano said:

where is my UCLA rejection?<_<

As others have pointed out, you might very well still be in the running. UCLA—much like UT Austin and some others—has been known to have a hidden waitlist (a waitlist to the waitlist, in effect). 

Don't even matter. I'mah git mines. I'm awn tha fukkin come up. I'm juss hibernatin, gatherin strength, but soon, I'mah come through, beat Zizek's smarmy lil bitch ass, 'rouse the erection of a reposed Blanchot, and give the worl' an ontological foundation that sendz it into abysmal oblivion. yaddamean?

I lol'd. (author was someone rejected at Fordham)

Edited by Turretin

22 minutes ago, shayhenckel said:

Rejected from Harvard. To be expected but I'm still sad...

1/8 accepted, 0/8 waitlisted, 1/8 rejected

i got one too lol. i understand that it's upsetting, but don't be too hard on yourself. they have reduced offers this year since there has been a decrease in funding for the program. Also, you've received an acceptance, which is not an easy thing to get. So i'm hopeful for you and hope that you receive many more offers soon :)

19 minutes ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

i got one too lol. i understand that it's upsetting, but don't be too hard on yourself. they have reduced offers this year since there has been a decrease in funding for the program. Also, you've received an acceptance, which is not an easy thing to get. So i'm hopeful for you and hope that you receive many more offers soon :)

Yeah, Harvard was my first choice. I applied to two other PhD programs so I really hope I get into at least one. The rest are terminal MA. The one I got into is my safety.

7 hours ago, Dialectica said:

As others have pointed out, you might very well still be in the running. UCLA—much like UT Austin and some others—has been known to have a hidden waitlist (a waitlist to the waitlist, in effect). 

yeah, I've heard about that...well, I'll wait and see

In response to a personal e-mail to a faculty member, I just received the news that Columbia rejected me. This sucks so so much. Can't believe how much it hurts.

6 minutes ago, Eshtah said:

In response to a personal e-mail to a faculty member, I just received the news that Columbia rejected me. This sucks so so much. Can't believe how much it hurts.

With respect, you shouldn't have emailed them. I read someone post a year ago who I believe was pretty successful as an applicant that emailing before March 15th is a bad, bad idea. You want to give schools plenty of time before you solicit an update on your status. Apparently this person made someone angry by contacting them relatively early in the app season. I'd also recommend against getting attached to any particular school.