Acceptance Thread

Duns Eith

1 hour ago, Ikari Gendo said:

Same, this waiting has been so long, it is almost a joke so it would not be surprising if someone is trolling.

It's still so early on the west coast.... it's barely 8:00am.....

48 minutes ago, cogsguy said:

I don't think it was trolling because I was accepted yesterday. My guess is they just started sending out offers? 

Congratulations! May I ask who emailed you?

1 minute ago, Dysexlia said:

Congratulations! May I ask who emailed you?

It was a generic email from UBC Grad Studies with a link to the actual offer letter written by Chris Stephens

1 minute ago, cogsguy said:

It was a generic email from UBC Grad Studies with a link to the actual offer letter written by Chris Stephens

Very cool. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for the next 48 hours or so!

Yesterday I received an offer from Arizona, however, it says 'We are currently unable to offer you funding, although should funding become available in the future we will let you know.' Anyone knows what that means? Does that mean I probably have to seek support myself? Is there anyone in the same situation with me? (I'm an international student showing no sign of being a qualified teaching assisant. Is it the reason for not offering me a fund?)

7 hours ago, Terrydong said:

Yesterday I received an offer from Arizona, however, it says 'We are currently unable to offer you funding, although should funding become available in the future we will let you know.' Anyone knows what that means? Does that mean I probably have to seek support myself? Is there anyone in the same situation with me? (I'm an international student showing no sign of being a qualified teaching assisant. Is it the reason for not offering me a fund?)

That could mean you're waitlisted for funding, or that after matriculating you may be considered next year? I'm thinking the former is more likely because the latter wasn't spelled out.

4 minutes ago, Turretin said:

That could mean you're waitlisted for funding, or that after matriculating you may be considered next year? I'm thinking the former is more likely because the latter wasn't spelled out.

waitlisted for funding? I hope what you said is true...although it seems that this kind of situation is rare for PhD offers

1 hour ago, Terrydong said:

waitlisted for funding? I hope what you said is true...although it seems that this kind of situation is rare for PhD offers

Some schools accept more than their grants for funding allow so as people decline they later offer more money. Or there's been word that some schools don't even have their funding lined up yet so they might have accepted you but are waiting to hear back from the school if there is more funding to be had. 

2 hours ago, sleepingsusurrus said:

Some schools accept more than their grants for funding allow so as people decline they later offer more money. Or there's been word that some schools don't even have their funding lined up yet so they might have accepted you but are waiting to hear back from the school if there is more funding to be had. 

I also heard that for schools like Chicago which has a large program, they sometimes would admit students without giving them funding. Not sure whether it is true. 

Hope Arizona is not like this! Anyone thinks that it will hurt if @Terrydong asks Arizona to clarify? 

3 minutes ago, whatamidoinghere said:

I also heard that for schools like Chicago which has a large program, they sometimes would admit students without giving them funding. Not sure whether it is true. 

Hope Arizona is not like this! Anyone thinks that it will hurt if @Terrydong asks Arizona to clarify? 

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 6.34.24 PM.png

16 minutes ago, TwoTimesTolstoy said:

Does anybody have any ideas regarding UCR? I haven't heard of any waitlists or rejections, only the two fellowship acceptances (perhaps they had a university-wide deadline to meet and so made fellowship offers early?).

I'm also very curious about this. 

"Relatively" high on funding wait list for VTech. Going to be declining a funded PhD offer for this if I get funding (don't want to do a PhD yet, as I might instead continue in my original discipline of physics), so please decline soon if you're not going!