Acceptance Thread

Duns Eith

8 hours ago, franz said:

Offered admission at the New School for Social Research, with 40% tuition award.

With the offers from U Chicago Divinity (full tuition covered with a stipend) and Yale Divinity (most tuition covered) for their MA programs, I'll have to ponder this a bit.

Congrats!

On 3/24/2017 at 11:39 AM, hector549 said:

It should be against the law to charge that much for an MA. I'm not sure NYU's behavior in this case is substantively different from the recruiting behaviors of the "for-profit" schools. Does the program have any kind of placement history, just out of curiosity?

This issue comes up every year. It is basically a scam, at least if you want to get into academic philosophy. Someone in my MA cohort took the offer after having been told about how it would get him visibility with the faculty, a chance to write papers to their standards, etc. He has yet to secure admission to any PhD so far as I know, let alone NYU's. The money was a drop in the bucket to his family, but that doesn't make it acceptable for NYU to do this.

On 3/24/2017 at 11:23 PM, eigenname said:

They don't have a page specifically for 'placement' history, but they do have a list of past students and what they have gone on to do. I looked through them and found that most people took the MA as a terminal degree, going on to do other stuff. Some went into law or medicine. The closest to (and the only one really relevant to) academic philosophy is someone who is doing/did a PhD in Bioethics at Cambridge (UK). 

Still hoping for my Irvine waitlist to magically collapse into an offer - then I don't have to worry about all these other options! 

It may not be on their website, but they have indeed had people go on to PhD programs in philosophy- I know they have alums at Berkeley (who got a good number of acceptances and waitlists), CUNY, Riverside... I believe they also have someone who's at Tennessee? Kansas? All within the last 4 years. Though note that most of the Bioethics students at NYU are not actually pursuing academic Philosophy long-term, so it's hard to tell what percentage of students who do want to go on to PhDs succeed.

*edited to add* they also have an alum doing a PhD at Johns Hopkins, though I think it's in Bioethics or public health

Edited by anonphdstudent

20 hours ago, MentalEngineer said:

This issue comes up every year. It is basically a scam, at least if you want to get into academic philosophy. Someone in my MA cohort took the offer after having been told about how it would get him visibility with the faculty, a chance to write papers to their standards, etc. He has yet to secure admission to any PhD so far as I know, let alone NYU's. The money was a drop in the bucket to his family, but that doesn't make it acceptable for NYU to do this.

also, in this case, it might well be the case that doing a 2nd MA in bioethics after already having an MA in philosophy might not be the best PhD admissions strategy, independently of whether the NYU bioethics MA is worth doing. i can imagine adcomms being skeptical about why someone would need to do a second MA in order to make their PhD application competitive. 

14 minutes ago, eigenname said:

@anonphdstudent do you know someone in the Bioethics MA program, or did you go through the program yourself? You seem pretty knowledgeable about the program, so I was wondering if I could ask you somequestions about the program. :) 

feel free to pm me! 

*edited to add* same goes for anyone else who has questions about NYU bioethics

though i will also add that if anyone who applied to NYU was then offered the "opportunity" to apply to the draper program, that i would have serious, serious reservations about. 

Edited by anonphdstudent

On 4/2/2017 at 0:23 PM, Litgenstein said:

If I end up choosing between FSU and UF's MA program, which do you think is a better choice?  (Especially in terms of entering a good PhD program)? Both are offering about the same package ($15,000~16 stipend). 

Looking specifically at PhD chances, I would say FSU is the better option. Completing the MA here essentially guarantees admission to the PhD; you basically have one PhD offer in the bag already as long as you do well in the MA, and then you can apply out and aim higher if you like. Unlike at many PhD-granting schools that offer an MA, FSU also puts quite a bit of effort into offering MA students the same support as the PhD students. UF's course offerings are a little bit more well-rounded than ours IMO, but I don't know what their PhD placement is like.

If I met you last weekend, I would have told you this at greater length in person :) If I didn't and you're in Florida (which I infer from your choice of applications), I hope you'll have the chance to get up here before you make your decision!

On 3/31/2017 at 6:53 PM, anonphdstudent said:

It may not be on their website, but they have indeed had people go on to PhD programs in philosophy- I know they have alums at Berkeley (who got a good number of acceptances and waitlists), CUNY, Riverside... I believe they also have someone who's at Tennessee? Kansas? All within the last 4 years. Though note that most of the Bioethics students at NYU are not actually pursuing academic Philosophy long-term, so it's hard to tell what percentage of students who do want to go on to PhDs succeed.

*edited to add* they also have an alum doing a PhD at Johns Hopkins, though I think it's in Bioethics or public health

as a follow up, the department has now added placement to their website, in case anyone finds it helpful:

https://wp.nyu.edu/centerforbioethics/people/graduate-placement-record/

44 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

In at Boston U. First I've heard from them lol. Maybe I was on a hidden waitlist?

That's encouraging, since I've heard nothing from 3 schools that have already reported.

5 hours ago, matchamatcha said:

Probably not. I'm just on my way back from Calgary and they basically seem to be my people, so I'll email some questions to BU students and decide after that.

Would you mind reporting back with your general impression of BU from students? I'm on the waitlist and I noticed that the graduate student page on their department's website doesn't include email addresses (and I feel a bit uneasy about emailing the DGS and being like "Hey, are there any graduate students that you can put me into contact with?" even though the questions I have are better directed toward grad students)

1 hour ago, TwoTimesTolstoy said:

Would you mind reporting back with your general impression of BU from students? I'm on the waitlist and I noticed that the graduate student page on their department's website doesn't include email addresses (and I feel a bit uneasy about emailing the DGS and being like "Hey, are there any graduate students that you can put me into contact with?" even though the questions I have are better directed toward grad students)

I will PM you after I receive responses :)

2 hours ago, Witsclaw said:

Thank you! I am still waiting to see how the other waitlists turn out (though I certainly wish I could make a decision sooner...).

Congrats! let me know if there's anything you want to know if you weren't one of our prospectives this past March and haven't been in contact with grad students.

6 minutes ago, hector549 said:

UC Davis just offered me admission to their PhD program! Very unexpected, since they told me one day ago that I was rejected..

Congrats! :) But what...