Jump to content
Straparlare

Waiting as a Comp Lit person

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, gyeum said:

I'm also very interested in narratives, but more or less the means by which sociological positionalities influence the ways we interact with and engage with narratives. So how do men read women's narratives (sometimes about the marginalization of women by men) and internalize that information, given that they can only understand so much of someon else's experiences. I suppose this is more of less an intersection of narratology and critical theory.

I applied to ENS's International Selection for literary theory, but I doubt I'll do it, given I've already been admitted to Berkeley. The only thing that'd stop me from jumping straight from undergrad (I'm a senior rn) into a PhD is getting a Fulbright to get a French MA in Quebec. Fingers crossed for that!

Given my interest in narrative and the current interest in the politicizing (or maybe it's politics?) of different disciplines, I'll probably end up going in a similar direction (at least if I hope in getting a job in academia). But maybe my mind will entirely change in grad school, who knows! You sound super interesting, so if I end up getting accepted to Berkeley, we should be friends :lol: 

Good luck to you on the Fullbright MA front!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gyeum @Straparlare You guys got some interesting projects! What do you mean by politicising disciplines, Straparlare? Because that sounds like something I'd be interested in haha but maybe you mean something else than what I understand by it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe I'm only finding out about this website and forum now! It's so nice to share the wait - my friends and relatives can barely stand my nerves any longer :)
I've applied to Berkeley, San Diego, Oregon, Chicago, Toronto, NYU and Columbia. So far I've received an offer from Oregon and rejections from Berkeley and San Diego, but other than that it's been awfully silent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Assie said:

I can't believe I'm only finding out about this website and forum now! It's so nice to share the wait - my friends and relatives can barely stand my nerves any longer :)
I've applied to Berkeley, San Diego, Oregon, Chicago, Toronto, NYU and Columbia. So far I've received an offer from Oregon and rejections from Berkeley and San Diego, but other than that it's been awfully silent. 

Hey there, welcome to the forum. I've applied to Toronto and NYU too. Let's share info about them when they start to notify! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@steve3020 I was mostly thinking in terms of narrative, and how narratives are meant to tell stories, but there's a reliance on power with discourse, and so some stories don't get told while others do - or else it changes how they are interpreted and then related. If that makes sense? Hopefully? eh...maybe I'm too in my head....But, anyway, I was also thinking about this grad seminar I took last spring and it was on the politics of form, covering narrative, poetry, cinema, and photography, and how these media/forms are used as political tools. For example, I read a chapter of this theory of poetry book on the relationship of elegy and national mourning/identity. It was really interesting and I think many disciplines (or at least those in the humanities) are exploring the politicization of these things. 

And welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Straparlare said:

@steve3020 I was mostly thinking in terms of narrative, and how narratives are meant to tell stories, but there's a reliance on power with discourse, and so some stories don't get told while others do - or else it changes how they are interpreted and then related. If that makes sense? Hopefully? eh...maybe I'm too in my head....But, anyway, I was also thinking about this grad seminar I took last spring and it was on the politics of form, covering narrative, poetry, cinema, and photography, and how these media/forms are used as political tools. For example, I read a chapter of this theory of poetry book on the relationship of elegy and national mourning/identity. It was really interesting and I think many disciplines (or at least those in the humanities) are exploring the politicization of these things. 

Hmm yeh I thought you were talking about something like this!

Have you got any offers yet? I've just received my rejection letter from Brown (modern culture and media). That's five more to go, but if the CUNY acceptance on the result board is true then probably four :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steve3020 said:

Hmm yeh I thought you were talking about something like this!

Have you got any offers yet? I've just received my rejection letter from Brown (modern culture and media). That's five more to go, but if the CUNY acceptance on the result board is true then probably four :( 

I've only heard back from one school so far, Oregon, and it was a rejection :(

I'm still waiting to hear back from Stanford MTL and Berkeley's Rhetoric, besides Comp Lit at UC Davis and UT Austin. I expect Stanford and Berkeley will be rejections so I'm attempting to brace myself. I'm sorry about Brown. It looks like a good program. Where else are you waiting to hear from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steve3020 said:

Hey there, welcome to the forum. I've applied to Toronto and NYU too. Let's share info about them when they start to notify! 

Thank you! Yes, let's. I saw that especially Toronto notifies pretty late, so I'm expecting quite a wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Straparlare said:

I've only heard back from one school so far, Oregon, and it was a rejection :(

I'm still waiting to hear back from Stanford MTL and Berkeley's Rhetoric, besides Comp Lit at UC Davis and UT Austin. I expect Stanford and Berkeley will be rejections so I'm attempting to brace myself. I'm sorry about Brown. It looks like a good program. Where else are you waiting to hear from? 

Sorry about your rejection too, but we only need one place to accept us after all! I'm waiting to hear back from Cornell, Cuny, NYU, York and Toronto. I was waitlisted at NYU last year - it would be interesting to get rejected after having (in my opinion) significantly improved my application file haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, steve3020 said:

Sorry about your rejection too, but we only need one place to accept us after all! I'm waiting to hear back from Cornell, Cuny, NYU, York and Toronto. I was waitlisted at NYU last year - it would be interesting to get rejected after having (in my opinion) significantly improved my application file haha. 

Oh? How'd you improve your application, if I may ask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Straparlare said:

Oh? How'd you improve your application, if I may ask

Oh well it was my first time applying last year and I was still doing my UG, so i couldn't focus on application, and also my final year results weren't shown on my transcript either. This year I spent a few months on crafting my writing sample and SOP only + I've got some awards for my dissertation + got a French diploma. We'll see if all that was worth it... but even if I don't get accepted, I really enjoyed the experience of writing full time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Assie said:

Thank you! Yes, let's. I saw that especially Toronto notifies pretty late, so I'm expecting quite a wait. 

That is true. Canadian schools typically take much longer to respond than American ones. I'm not sure when Comp Lit should get back to you, although I do know from speaking with the grad program administrator that the English program will likely send out its first acceptances by the end of February or early March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard back from Cornell? I've seen some rejections on the board. I didn't receive anything so I checked my application page, and strangely all the details I've submitted were deleted!? I don't know if this is a good sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, steve3020 said:

Has anyone heard back from Cornell? I've seen some rejections on the board. I didn't receive anything so I checked my application page, and strangely all the details I've submitted were deleted!? I don't know if this is a good sign. 

Yes, I just saw your post on the results board. I haven't heard anything either, and I am somewhat confused...they rejected people first? How bizarre.... I haven't had the same thing happen to me (with the disappearing files) but maybe it's a good sign....? Mine still says submitted, but it doesn't seem like we'll find out from ApplyWeb. The website says the faculty will contact us directly, and that also seems to be what happened to the two posters.

 

Fingers crossed they'll let us know tomorrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gyeum said:

Yes, I just saw your post on the results board. I haven't heard anything either, and I am somewhat confused...they rejected people first? How bizarre.... I haven't had the same thing happen to me (with the disappearing files) but maybe it's a good sign....? Mine still says submitted, but it doesn't seem like we'll find out from ApplyWeb. The website says the faculty will contact us directly, and that also seems to be what happened to the two posters.

 

Fingers crossed they'll let us know tomorrow?

Yeh it's very bizarre indeed. I applied there last year as well, and nothing happened, just said submitted. Good luck to us! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steve3020 said:

Has anyone heard back from Cornell? I've seen some rejections on the board. I didn't receive anything so I checked my application page, and strangely all the details I've submitted were deleted!? I don't know if this is a good sign. 

Yes, I am one of the rejetions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know anything about Davis? I saw on the results someone was also asking after "interviews in early February". Since I didn't hear anything about an interview, I'm guessing I got rejected....

Edited by Straparlare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2017 at 0:04 PM, Glasperlenspieler said:

Any info on the Stanford wait list? Do we know if all acceptances/wait lists have been sent out?

Hello! I have heard back info from Stanford. I was invited to go there for a Visitor's Weekend at the end of January. I'm assuming this is a good sign, since they used the words congratulations and shortlist in the email. Yet, I don't know if this means that only people they are accepting are invited... I think it's more or less that they think I'll need some wooing to go there. But I don't know! They're not very transparent.

I hope this helps. Stay strong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gyeum Being on the shortlist is synonymous with being a finalist. If they don't tell you that the program is admitting you, then they haven't admitted you yet. Yes, the visiting weekend is to woo you, but it's also to determine who makes the final cut. Sometimes they might be choosing one out of two candidates for a certain fellowship or project, and only one of the two will be admitted. Other times it's purely to meet you in person before deciding. Congratulations either way. Making it this far means you've done well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I feel like Princeton should be today. They sent out acceptances on the 18th last year and on the 19th in 2015.

*shrugs* *trembles* *fears* *tears*

Plus, I had very good email exchanges with a Prof. from the department. I know it doesn't guarantee anything, and that Princeton is a very long shot, but it got my hopes up and I feel like only they can save me. :lol: 

Edited by Yanaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

*shrugs* *trembles* *fears* *tears*

Plus, I had very good email exchanges with a Prof. from the department. I know it doesn't guarantee anything, and that Princeton is a very long shot, but it got my hopes up and I feel like only them can save me. :lol: 

Yeah, Princeton is definitely a long shot for me too. But hey, you never know! Wishing us both good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

Yeah, Princeton is definitely a long shot for me too. But hey, you never know! Wishing us both good luck!

Yes!! Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to you all! I'm waiting to hear back from Princeton, too! I also think Cornell will let people know today or tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gyeum said:

Good luck to you all! I'm waiting to hear back from Princeton, too! I also think Cornell will let people know today or tomorrow.

I didn't apply, but some people have already reported rejections from Cornell for comparative literature. So if you haven't heard anything yet, you may want to contact the department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.