NYU Fall 2017

MSW2017

I was accepted a few days ago! I was initially super excited to be accepted but then kinda disappointed when I received my scholarship amount the next day. They gave me $8000 which means I would have to take out 70K in loans. Ugh. I'll be interested in hearing what other people have been offered.

I heard back awhile ago, but I don't think I'll be going. I was awarded $21,000 (total) so it's still around the same price as all the other private schools before subtracting their scholarships. I went to visit the school and it seems really nice, but I'm not sure the program is really worth the cost, considering all of the other wonderful (cheaper) MSW programs. It is NYC though, which makes it very appealing. 

Just received admission! My letter says "It is crucial that you submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to process your federal financial aid," though I have already done so. Funding will also be a consideration as I think about NYU. 

Did either of you have a similar notation in your acceptance email? If so, when/how did you hear back on your Finaid? 

Thank you for any insights!!

6 hours ago, MSW2017 said:

Just received admission! My letter says "It is crucial that you submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to process your federal financial aid," though I have already done so. Funding will also be a consideration as I think about NYU. 

Did either of you have a similar notation in your acceptance email? If so, when/how did you hear back on your Finaid? 

Thank you for any insights!!

You're supposed to receive your scholarship award amount the next day. If you were accepted on a Friday though maybe you'll have to wait until Monday? I'm not sure but that's my guess. 

I was accepted around two weeks ago with 17k per year in scholarship. However, I probably won't be going since I got into Columbia. I'm waiting to hear about financial aid from them before I officially turn down the offer. Once I do, it will free up a spot for someone else and potentially some scholarship funds since they likely are drawing from one pool of funds.

Good luck, everyone!

Congrats @lunabathory on your acceptances! Glad you are making a choice that feels right for you.

I was notified of a 15k scholarship from NYU yesterday. I am trying to discern what the ultimate cost would be with this scholarship - guessing around 70k including fees? I am particularly focused on college/high school social work counseling so trying to decide what school would offer the most resources for that path. 

On 1/28/2017 at 10:39 AM, lunabathory said:

I was accepted around two weeks ago with 17k per year in scholarship. However, I probably won't be going since I got into Columbia. I'm waiting to hear about financial aid from them before I officially turn down the offer. Once I do, it will free up a spot for someone else and potentially some scholarship funds since they likely are drawing from one pool of funds.

Good luck, everyone!

You applied to NYU Jan 9 and got accepted Jan 16?

Received my acceptance from NYU last night via e-mail; however, it did not include a specific mention of scholarship awards. It just said that I will "receive more information in the coming weeks" and that if I have questions about financial aid or my overall package to contact their financial aid dept. If there is a paper acceptance letter on its way, I wonder if more information is included here? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 10:39 AM, lunabathory said:

Good luck, everyone!

I got the same $17K a year offer.

I'm also going to turn down the offer. 

I got into UPenn in Philadelphia and offered me more money. 

Congrats on Columbia! I was going to apply but after 8 apps I got tired lol However, I still get emails saying they are still accepting apps for Fall 17! But of coarse the funding is probably all be gone by now.

Good luck everyone! 

Hello!

Just wanted to say that I just received my admission letter from NYU and I am beyond thrilled. I didn't think I would get in since my undergrad GPA left much to be desired. So here's a bit of hope for anyone who thinks their stats are too low to apply! :)

Has anybody put down a deposit for NYU and absolutely planning to attend? or has anyone put a deposit down until they receive an acceptance from another school?

I'm still unsure on where to put down a deposit NYU or Fordham until i hear back from Hunter :(