Will this torture end?

nixipixi

9 hours ago, WestCoasterGoingEast said:

NYU teased me today! They sent me an email and the subject started with "Welcome..." but it was a letter from the Dean saying thank you for applying and providing resources and scholarship info to look into while they continue with the review process. 

Haha, University of South Carolina did the same thing to me.  The subject line started with "We're delighted..." and then it said, "We're delighted you've applied to our program, etc." Got my hopes up for nothing.

I have had a rough start to my application season.  4 rejections so far out of 13 applications...so I still have 9 schools to hear back from and the schools that said no where all top 10 schools, but still disheartening.  I am really hoping for some good news soon so that, as this post is titled, this torture will end. 

Edited by montanem

The uncertainty is killing me. All I know so far is:

1. Two of the schools I applied to have events for potential grad students mid-Feb.
  2. One school I applied to has already sent out their (at least first batch of) acceptances and I haven't heard back.
  3. Two schools have already conducted interviews with some students and I haven't heard back.
  4. The one school I had an interview at basically said at this point my chances sit at around 20% (1 spot with ~5 interviewees).

The admissions committee is meeting today for my first choice. They might be meeting right now. They might know already. I'm dying a little bit right now.

I have no outlet for my stress right now. Work is stressing me out. This is stressing me out. Facebook is full of politics that stresses me out. It's too cold to go outside and do fun things. There's nothing on TV this weekend but sports. Blegh. 

My poor husband. I think he's realized that I'm ready to snap, and he's the closest person to snap at. LOL.

11 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

I have no outlet for my stress right now. Work is stressing me out. This is stressing me out. Facebook is full of politics that stresses me out. It's too cold to go outside and do fun things. There's nothing on TV this weekend but sports. Blegh. 

My poor husband. I think he's realized that I'm ready to snap, and he's the closest person to snap at. LOL.

Might I suggest drinking and Netflix? Also like...eleven puppies to cuddle?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, nixipixi said:

To the gods DEVILS of admission committees, please put us out of our misery!

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, anxiousgrad said:

I can't find anything that distracts me for more than 30 minutes or so. I've managed to mostly chill out before 9am, after 6pm, and on the weekends, but during working hours I can't focus on work or on writing my thesis. I check the forums, the results, my inbox, my spam, and my application portals over and over again... If I could just get one acceptance, I think I would be alright!

I should be working on several projects right now, and also writing my thesis. I think a lot of us are like this. I was fine. I was concentrating. Then some people posted that they got acceptance emails to the program I want. Now all I can do is refresh my email. So that's my next 24 hours.

I had a bit of a breakdown at work today. Thankfully it was during my lunch break and I had a moment to compose myself ... before going back to my desk and checking GradCafe, my email, and application statuses again.

Usually I have these after work. It's getting pretty bad ...

Edited by poopyhead

On 2/4/2017 at 9:33 AM, magicsana said:

Weekends are the worst. 

I actually heard back from one of my schools two Sundays ago (Northwestern history PhD). It was a rejection though and has been the only school so far so really messed with my confidence starting off this way...

I applied to 11 schools and am just begging to get into ONE!!! Please!

2 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I'm already pretty sure I won't be getting in this year. I just want all the rejections in so I can have a weekend to mope and pull myself together instead of dragging it out. :D 

Actually, I have contingency plans, so I'm also not freaking about what the results are, it's just the not knowing that is driving me nuts. Bleh!

2 hours ago, redikulus said:

Actually, I have contingency plans, so I'm also not freaking about what the results are, it's just the not knowing that is driving me nuts. Bleh!

I have the ultimate contingency plan: If I don't get in anywhere I'll just keep my job and not take an 80% pay cut!

It doesn't help with my nerves and panic attacks.

3 hours ago, poopyhead said:

I have the ultimate contingency plan: If I don't get in anywhere I'll just keep my job and not take an 80% pay cut!

It doesn't help with my nerves and panic attacks.

Isn't it funny? It's like we don't need to know that we have a good option available. It's that we want to know what the F we'll be doing in the future. Knowing we'll be okay isn't enough, which is just the weirdest to me.

On ‎7‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 8:09 AM, poopyhead said:

I had a bit of a breakdown at work today. Thankfully it was during my lunch break and I had a moment to compose myself ... before going back to my desk and checking GradCafe, my email, and application statuses again.

Usually I have these after work. It's getting pretty bad ...

Don't worry, happend to me too. I had a panic attach the other day at work and I have a chronic illness that buggs me almost every day now. I went from pain a couple of times a week to pain on a daily basis. So I'm working with a hot water bottle on my lap to relieve the pain. Ah well, people are used to it now.

I only have 3 weeks to accept or decline from SSU so I'm dying waiting to hear from BC. Hopefully we'll all be put out of misery soon. I feel like my mind is going a mile a minute about it, even when I'm doing other things.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:49 AM, Amanda87 said:

I only have 3 weeks to accept or decline from SSU so I'm dying waiting to hear from BC. Hopefully we'll all be put out of misery soon. I feel like my mind is going a mile a minute about it, even when I'm doing other things.

I am applying to Boston College as well! For MA in History, anyways. I really hope they get it over with.