Will this torture end?

nixipixi

Got an email from my top choice earlier this week. It's a two-step application process, there was a discrepancy between one question on the two apps. I clarified, they said thank you for doing that and they'd finalize the decision soon. BUT IN WHAT DIRECTION DONT LEAVE ME HANGIN

(I can't help but get my hopes up because it was the grad school itself, not the program, that emailed me which means that the program sent them my application for review, but what if my clarification sent them in the wrong direction? :( )

I've been accepted into other programs that require a decision by February 23, I certainly hope "soon" is actually soon.

@HiFiWiFi I am in a pretty similar situation. My top choice program said that they would have decision in the next few weeks when I contacted them. That was more than three weeks ago. My feeling is that I am waitlisted, but I just want to know it if I really am. While another school that has accepted me told me that they really hope I could give them my decision before February ends. Ugh, I also wish I could make my decision before the month ends but these other schools just won't let me know anything.... 

Someone recently posted on the results tab that they received an GMU interview invite in my same small concentration... eek. I don't think I would get that same elective invite because: 1) the lab I applied to is fairly specialized and I'm a good fit in that regard both academically and professionally; 2) a few other factors likely make my application more of a definitive accept or reject; 3) I'm 3000 miles away.

But I'm still internally flipping out.

Things are actually happening.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:36 AM, OhSoSolipsistic said:

Should hear back sometime next week for one of my schools.

Bleurg... I can handle constant anxiety, but I've had this weird, heavy mix of dread, apathy, and bleak insomnia for the past 24 hrs.

Death to weekends.

Exactly how I feel! Couldn't sleep for shit last night. I'm not sure how to deal with myself for the next month. I applied to Iowa, Oregon State and Portland State. All three seem to send out notices in March. I need a holiday or something! I need to climb a mountain with no phone or internet...okay, so it's Sunday, we can get through the weekend okay? We can. We can. 

I'm in this situation in which I did not get an acceptance when the first batch was sent out (a Canadian uni), but I also have not recieved a rejection or wait list notification yet. I've seen on the result page that other people have. i'm also an international applicant so I guess my chances of getting accepted at this stage are pretty slim. But the not knowing and having to wait for (maybe) notting is freaking me out! If I had all my rejections I could just 'move on' with my life and focus on next year. Instead I'm just eating too much right now. 

My top school (Duke U) has already started sending out interview requests and I got nothing yet. Meanwhile, Purdue, USC, Johns Hopkins and Brown are pretending I don't exist. This wait is slowly killing me. I'm having a mini heart attack each time there is an email notification. Is there anything you guys use for anxiety?

1 hour ago, hexaninja said:

My top school (Duke U) has already started sending out interview requests and I got nothing yet. Meanwhile, Purdue, USC, Johns Hopkins and Brown are pretending I don't exist. This wait is slowly killing me. I'm having a mini heart attack each time there is an email notification. Is there anything you guys use for anxiety?

Turn off mail notifications on your phone. That helps tremendously. Check only in the morning/evening. I actually went as far as creating a whole new email ID for admissions process, and turned off mail notifications for all my other accounts. My phone has never been so silent :( 

4 hours ago, hexaninja said:

I actually turned my phone off a couple of times for a whole day. Also, played some video games and binge-watched some television, since I'm too annoyed to work on my thesis, which is really what I should be doing right now. Some people get drunk... Also, I've found that hanging out with people who don't know anything about my applications is very nice because they don't bring it up and I forget about it.

I keep obsessively checking my application pages, because, who would want to miss an updated status that was changed before an email arrives!

I'm embarrassed to admit that more than once now my stomach has dropped when, for a split second, I mistakenly read that green word "SUBMITTED" as "ADMITTED"

Let's wrap this up people. Enough already!

Just wanted to say I'm so glad to have found this forum - I feel a little bit less alone!! Fled to Antibes and found an airbnb with a cute-as-hell dog <3 need to flee out to town and focus on this place instead of just checking my email and the accepted/rejected list here every two minutes... dying!!!

I, like many others, am not worried about my contingency plan. But this waiting is KILLING me. Just...freaking...TELL ME already! 

At what point does "no news" cease being "good news" and start being "bad news"? I saw a smattering of acceptances for Yale, but nothing from UConn or Brandeis (though Brandeis's deadline was WICKED late). 

I've already been waiting for two months, Yale. What the F. 

I emailed my top choice school because I have a decision deadline of March 2nd for another program I was accepted to but have heard nothing from my top choice. They emailed me back the same day and said they'd been swamped with applications but would move mine up (it hadn't been processed yet) and look at it ASAP. Now that I know a decision is on the way sometime soon I'm both more relieved and more anxious. On one hand I'm relieved knowing the decision is coming soon but on the other hand IT COULD BE COMING AT ANY TIME. 

Of course my top choice is my last school to respond. It's going to be a tough choice to begin with because I don't think I'll be received funding from anywhere, but it's an even tougher choice coming up to March 2nd while still waiting on my top school!