Posting your acceptance on facebook

Mathk1d

If you guys get accepted to your #1 Ph.D. program, will you notify everyone via your facebook status? One of my acquaintances posted that she got into her #1 program, and my personal reaction was that she's a conceited bitch! HAHA. Maybe because she actually is and that was just expressing her personality hehe

I've been wondering about this too, Mathk1d. I, too, feel like it could potentially come across as conceited for someone to notify via Facebook status about a top-choice school, especially if it's extremely prestigious. However, I can certainly understand the desire to celebrate and/or quickly share this sort of information with close friends/family who want to know as soon as you find out your grad school application results (and presumably these close friends/family would not find it conceited for you to share said information with them since they know you well). So. . . I've decided in the event that I am accepted to my top choice (God willing) that I'm going to post a "code" joke status that only my close friends/family would understand. For example: "ecg1810 was accepted to Hogwarts Graduate School of Arts and Sciences!" Seems more fun to do it like this anyway. biggrin.gif

Edited by ecg1810

If you guys get accepted to your #1 Ph.D. program, will you notify everyone via your facebook status? One of my acquaintances posted that she got into her #1 program, and my personal reaction was that she's a conceited bitch! HAHA. Maybe because she actually is and that was just expressing her personality hehe

I did.

Whoever thought I was a conceited bitch before got their confirmation, but who cares about them.

I was just very EXCITED!! :D.

ETA: none of my friends were applying to grad school in the US, so it's not like I was rubbing it in anyone's face.

Edited by fuzzylogician

Actually I have considered posting my acceptance (if I am accepted) but then I realized that some of my friends, who are attending other schools I also want to get in could, by some random chance, make the comment I was accepted to a member of the adcom and totally screw me…so, no. Also there is this thing, I haven’t told my boss I’m applying, only if I’m accepted I will tell her (but not just after it, I will wait until my contract ends, so we can negotiate my staying in work just a little more, to make some savings I’ll need)

I've thought about this....I probably would post about it *eventually*, probably at the end of the application season, but there are several people on my friends list who are also applying to programs this semester, sometimes the same programs, and it doesn't seem very tactful to brag about good news when other people may be getting bad news or are still waiting....

I might wait until I decide where I am going to go (being optimistic and assuming multiple offers!) since that's also something that more of my facebook friends would actually care about, rather than the decision on every single application...

I've thought about this....I probably would post about it *eventually*, probably at the end of the application season, but there are several people on my friends list who are also applying to programs this semester, sometimes the same programs, and it doesn't seem very tactful to brag about good news when other people may be getting bad news or are still waiting....

I might wait until I decide where I am going to go (being optimistic and assuming multiple offers!) since that's also something that more of my facebook friends would actually care about, rather than the decision on every single application...

hahaha yeah it'd be uber-conceited to list every school you got accepted to hehe. That's a great point about tact... some of my friends are applying to the exact same program as I am. This begs another question... If I get accepted should I hide it from my friends/classmates who applied to the same school? I'd probably be a little upset if my classmate got into a better school than me and went around telling everyone to be honest haha. I know I shouldn't, but it's a natural thing?

I've annoyed people with my neuroticism during the application, so much so that people I hardly ever see but are still 'facebook friends' seem to know all the places I'm applying to! Facebook is just my place to vent. I'll probably post the US results in a "joke" way come rain or come shine; but there's one prestigious course in my home country that I don't think I'll tell anyone about if I get accepted because I know a couple of people applying to the same one.

I don't think any of my friends are applying to graduate school, but they know the crap I had to deal with last year and this year with my LOR. They're all waiting for me to finally hear from some schools. I don't know if I'll be posting it on facebook though, I may do it after I hear back from all the schools.

I've annoyed people with my neuroticism during the application, so much so that people I hardly ever see but are still 'facebook friends' seem to know all the places I'm applying to! Facebook is just my place to vent. I'll probably post the US results in a "joke" way come rain or come shine; but there's one prestigious course in my home country that I don't think I'll tell anyone about if I get accepted because I know a couple of people applying to the same one.

I could never tell that you're neurotic from your screenname :P

We had this discussion in another thread awhile ago and I'll repeat the thoughts I placed there.

I have to listen to everyone's announcements about babies, houses, marriages, etc. and I don't think they're conceited at all for announcing it - it's a life altering event, and they're excited and proud. They have every right to be, as annoying as "Jack Jr. drooled today!!" can be... I get it. So, if I do manage to get accepted I will definitely feel comfortable posting it if I feel so inclined.

I will also add - no one I know is applying to grad school this year, so I don't have to worry about stepping on any of those toes.

Well, if it's your #1 choice, it means you're going to go there in the fall, right? Which means that sooner or later, you'll be adding it to your Educational Info...and telling everyone where you're moving...

While "OMG I GOT INTO MY TOP CHOICE PROGRAM" might not be the best way to put it, "I was accepted to University of Z! Yay!" seems like a nice way simultaneously to brag, let people know what's going on with you, and not be obnoxious about it.

If I get into one of my top three schools, you won't be able to shut me up about it. "Shouting from the rooftops" will be an understatement. :lol: But I am not expecting to get into any of them.

Hmm... I guess I just think bragging is ALWAYS obnoxious no matter how innocuously phrased. And it seems different than excitement over baby's first steps or whatever... because those kinds of statements aren't really boasting... all babies "get borned" (name that movie)/drool/walk eventually. So, while I certainly understand that this is extremely important, exciting news and I sympathize with the impulse to shout it from the rooftops, I'm not into proclaiming one's successes (or failures for that matter) via facebook. To each his/her own.

It's not bragging. I've kept my friends abreast of the application process. Hell, I even posted my SoP on Facebook to see if anyone had a comment or critique. My friends were ribbing me and keeping me focused, once posting on my wall, "DOO IT. SUB F*CKIN-MIT!" (my application...) hehe... When I got into the program I'm in now, I announced it with a "...is a school mascot." People were real supportive.

Hmm... I guess I just think bragging is ALWAYS obnoxious no matter how innocuously phrased. And it seems different than excitement over baby's first steps or whatever... because those kinds of statements aren't really boasting... all babies "get borned" (name that movie)/drool/walk eventually. So, while I certainly understand that this is extremely important, exciting news and I sympathize with the impulse to shout it from the rooftops, I'm not into proclaiming one's successes (or failures for that matter) via facebook. To each his/her own.

I only have people who are actually friends I care about on my facebook. As such, they knew I was applying, were supportive, and were curious about my results. Now what's more "obnoxious" - calling each of them personally to let them know, not letting them know at all, or posting one status update? Hmmm... It's not bragging, it's simply letting friends know the good news. Seeing as it was going to cause a major life change for me, they were bound to find out sooner or later...so why not sooner? sheesh.

I agree with Sparky and Fuzzylogician. Although, and I'm not sure if this was a dream or just some daytime delirium, but I was thinking...wouldn't it be kind of ridiculous if schools started notifying of admissions decisions via Facebook? The GradCafe results page would have entries like, "Accepted via Wall Post" or "I was Poked by my Top Choice. I checked my status on their website and I found out I was rejected."

I agree with Sparky and Fuzzylogician. Although, and I'm not sure if this was a dream or just some daytime delirium, but I was thinking...wouldn't it be kind of ridiculous if schools started notifying of admissions decisions via Facebook? The GradCafe results page would have entries like, "Accepted via Wall Post" or "I was Poked by my Top Choice. I checked my status on their website and I found out I was rejected."

Admissions now take into consideration not only your GPA and GRE, but also your FarmVille scores!

I don't think I'll post which school I get accepted to or rejected from. But at the end of the semester, if I'm accepted, I'll probably do an update about it. I have lots of friends in the states who keep asking me if I'm moving back or not, so I don't think it's conceited to let everyone know that I'm moving. Plus, I have no friends applying to the same programs anyway (or grad school at all).

Why does it seem more conceited to say that you were accepted into your top choice?

My uncle decided to climb a mountain. He fell down a crevasse and posted about his fall on facebook. Just last week he posted that he was going back up on a mountain. And then he posted about his successful climb. Is that conceited bragging? Maybe. But so what, his friends and family want to know and cheer him on.

I have gone through difficult times in my life. Hell yeah I am going to tell people if I got into my top choice. And I think more of my friends would be pissed off if I didn't tell them than if I did.

I agree with Sparky and modernity. If I get in next year, I would have no problem posting something like "natsteel was accepted to xxxxx." Then again, I likely won't be FB friends with anyone else applying and I have fought back from some dire circumstances a few years ago, so it would be a fairly triumphant moment for both me and my family.

Eeeek. Based on people's reactions I seem to have offended some of you with my response. I'm sorry if that was the case as that was not my intention at all. I was just posting my own personal reaction to the original question posed. That's why I ended my response with "to each his/her own". The first amendment is awesome! Do as you please.

A few other thoughts:

I referred to it as "bragging" seeing as other posters before had openly referred to it as such. Maybe it isn't bragging. Whether it's fair or not, it certainly can be perceived as such. That's enough for me to abstain.

It seems some of you only facebook friends with people with whom you are very close, and it has been suggested that this might be the most effective way too let these people in on this life changing news. That makes complete sense! I'm facebook friends with 900+ people (And no, for the record, I am not one of those creeps who fb friends every random individual I meet/have seen once in my life). I am actually close with maybe 50 of these facebook friends. So for me, personally, posting on facebook as a means to let these people know doesn't exactly make the most sense... The people I am close with will appreciate hearing directly from me.

People will ask. Once I know where I am attending (or not), I will tell. Be that via the internet, a phone call, or a real live conversation.

Sometimes I facebook stalk and it's incredible fodder when people post things like this, so go right ahead! :)

Maybe it's unfair of me to have an opinion. I know damn well my mother will do all the facebook brag- er, announcing for me.

And lastly, let's be friends? I mean, not necessarily facebook friends (looks like I have too many of those already)... but don't hate me for being the voice of dissent!

That may be the crux of the matter. I'm only Friends with family and friends (not even acquaintances). It's the primary way we communicate, especially with those family members who are out of the country. My friends and family ask me how the application process is going in posts, and it would be appropriate for me to announce it in this way. I might not give a blow-by-blow on school results (will probably save this for my parents and closest friends) but will definitely post about the the final outcome.

caputmundi, I don't think you were offensive at all. As you said, it's a subjective matter :)

Also, I think it largely depends on how this would be posted on FB...for example,

"Waylance I GOT ACCEPTED TO FCKING IVYLEAGEU SUCK ON THAT L0SERS!!!!1!"

"Waylance Just got accepted to my sixth top school, everyone else must really suck if they can't get accepted anywhere!"

"Waylance I'm like the most awesome person ever, totally got accepted to another school b/c my GRE is 1600 (yeah I maxed it b/c I have like 210 IQ) and my GPA is like super higher than everyone else wich is awesome (did I mention that my GRE is like 1600)"

"Waylance hey prof B fck youre class cause i'm going to fking yale and u suck"

"Waylance My fifth acceptance letter arrived today per mail. Another professor, from a very respected school I might add, begging to work with me. It was quite pathetic. I tossed the letter as they only offered funding if I became a TA. I will not accept anything that detracts from my research. And to have to interact with lowly undergraduates, the thought sickens me. The schools must realize that this process is all about me and nobody else, and I will only accept an offer that fully agrees with this."

...are all pretty offensive, to me at least. I might even go as far as say that they are conceited and somewhat bragging. :P

But if someone wrote something along the lines of "just got an acceptance (finally!), might be going to <city> come fall!" I would probably just congratulate"like" it.

I wouldn't post the name of the school I got into, simply because I don't want to go about worrying any friends applying to the same school. I would, however, note that I did get in to graduate school, probably in the form of "RockEater knows he will be doing something next fall." Then, if people want to know the results, I'd send them a message.

Since I have aunts, uncles and cousins that also use Facebook, I find it to be a very convenient way to contact them about my acceptance.