Any ideas on "how" to get accepted after interviewing?

Hi all, I am curious to know if anyone has any sort of idea for what puts POI's "over the edge" in terms of accepting 1 student out of the 2-6 they'll invite to interview?

I do have this textbook guide (Norcross) for 'getting into clinical psych programs' that says POIs may consider # of publications of high importance, but the study they cite was from 10 years ago, I believe...

Aside from 'red flags' sort of knocking people down, what would push them 'up' into getting an offer? Fit? Having worked closely with one of their colleagues? Being geographically close to the school and therefore more likely to want to stay in the area??

Thank you to all for considering this, I appreciate your input!

Really, there's no way to know for sure. A lot depends on how you rank relative to the other students interested in joining the lab. 

A PI could be looking for research productivity (past), or be looking at how you frame your potential for productive research with them. They might have someone with a particular skill set that they would like to have in the lab- and they may or may not know this when they interview you. It might be about personality, or a perceived similarity of working style. 

Honestly, don't overthink it. Once you get to the interview stage, a lot of it is a toss-up. Most PIs are in the position of having 2-6 students all of whom they think would be a good fit for their group, and having to pick one. What they end up going with isn't something you can do a lot to control, or really anything about your credentials.

That said, usually (imo) it's not going to be something obvious in your CV (i.e., number of publications) that decides a PI post-interview. That's what they use to decide who they want to interview. It's going to be how you can talk about your research, and how it feels like you'll fit into the group, both personally and professionally. 

Be cordial, be enthusiastic, and overall be yourself. Nothing makes someone less certain of you than a feeling that you're not being honest, and it makes them worry that they're not choosing based on the "real" person. Don't try to be what you think the person interviewing you wants.