Fall 2018 Canadian Application Prep

AlbertaUndergrad

5 minutes ago, coffeecupanalogy said:

I'm still thinking about applying to Canada, mostly because I haven't taken the IELTS which they require for some applications.... I might ask if I can apply with the toefl. 

I was able to use TOEFL for all my applications - UBC waived me (but accepts toefl), U Waterloo accepts TOEFL and so does Simon Fraser U. Usually both are OK. 

3 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

I was able to use TOEFL for all my applications - UBC waived me (but accepts toefl), U Waterloo accepts TOEFL and so does Simon Fraser U. Usually both are OK.

Really?  I was getting anxious about it since I started late this application round, thanks! 

2 hours ago, Timemachines said:

Hi all - Im from the US and am potentially interested in applying to York (strong emphasis in clinical neuropsych). Does anyone have any feedback on how this university is regarded nationally? Im not anticipating that its the Harvard of Canada, just trying to get a better idea of the curriculum in comparison to other schools. I am aware that it is also no longer APA accredited which is worrisome for internship placement so this option is still "marinating" so to speak.

any feedback appreciated, thanks!

I'm not too familiar with York, but I wouldn't worry about the lack of APA accreditation. APA no longer provides accreditation for any Canadian schools, and it's my understanding that CPA and APA accreditation are seen as more or less equivalent. 

18 hours ago, Timemachines said:

Im from the US and am potentially interested in applying to York (strong emphasis in clinical neuropsych). Does anyone have any feedback on how this university is regarded nationally?

I'm not familiar with that program specifically, but in terms of their psych department generally it's a mid-level research university with a decent reputation. Like, not University of Toronto, UBC, or McGill, but in the solid second quartile. At the undergrad level there's some joking that it's for people who don't want to leave Toronto but couldn't get into UofT ;)  hsnl already mentioned that in Canada accreditation is done by CPA. List of programs here.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:01 PM, hsnl said:

I'm not too familiar with York, but I wouldn't worry about the lack of APA accreditation. APA no longer provides accreditation for any Canadian schools, and it's my understanding that CPA and APA accreditation are seen as more or less equivalent. 

This is my understanding too. I was told interviewing at APA-accredited programs that I could get accepted at either an APA- or CPA-accredited program in order to meet internship requirements. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 2:42 PM, Timemachines said:

Hi all - Im from the US and am potentially interested in applying to York (strong emphasis in clinical neuropsych). Does anyone have any feedback on how this university is regarded nationally? Im not anticipating that its the Harvard of Canada, just trying to get a better idea of the curriculum in comparison to other schools. I am aware that it is also no longer APA accredited which is worrisome for internship placement so this option is still "marinating" so to speak.

any feedback appreciated, thanks!

York is actually the only English, CPA-accredited Clinical Neuropsychology programs in Canada. This is for both the Adult clinical and the recently accredited Clinical-Developmental program, so that is definitely something to keep in mind. The only other fully CPA accredited program is the French program at the University of Montreal.

Your American citizenship may be of interest here long-term when you are applying to internship. The last group of students that were successful to American sites were in 2015, and that was when the APA decided to no longer accredit Canadian schools.  

Edited by Jay's Brain