Fall 2018 Quantitative Psychology PhD Applicants

52 minutes ago, tj1864 said:

I posted on this thread a while back in the summer saying I was applying to masters programs. Really excited to find out that today I got an offer for the MS in Applied Stats & Psychometrics program at Boston College and I will be accepting!

Good luck to everyone as you go through the interview process!

I'm so happy for you!!! Boston is an AMAZING place to live. I was there for APS last May, and I loved it :D

Do you start in the Fall or Spring?

6 hours ago, otter27 said:

its my first time having a skype interview as well so didn't really know what to prepare haha, but it turned out to be very chill!

I feel it's mostly the professors making sure you know why you're doing quant psych and why this particular program/professor, so it would be good to prepare a list of questions to ask them (i didn't do very well preparing this). And yeah I will PM you my poi from Vanderbilt!

This is good to know! It never occurred to me that the interview might rely on the candidate's questions to a remarkable extent. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

Anyone hear anything from UCLA yet? I know some areas have sent out invites already, but I heard other areas won't until mid-January. Other than the email I received on Wednesday about my application having been received, I've heard nothing.

What areas have extended invitations?

22 hours ago, wnk4242 said:

Let's just be patient and wait. Do you have plans for Christmas?

I'm starting to realize I didn't have enough Christmas plans. I decided to take a week or so off from working on publications and my thesis ( haven't had a real break in months), but I now have way too much time on my hands.

What about you guys? Anyone doing something fun and exciting that is making the wait more tolerable?

On 12/23/2017 at 12:33 PM, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

What about you guys? Anyone doing something fun and exciting that is making the wait more tolerable?

I am now at the DC area getting myself a break. I've been getting stuck on reading paper for some days and so started a novel to refresh my mind a bit lol.

6 hours ago, schenar said:

I am now at the DC area getting myself a break. I've been getting stuck on reading paper for some days and so started a novel to refresh my mind a bit lol.

I visited DC in August to attend the APA convention there. The area where poster presentations were held was huge! They built a small psychological experiment museum in front of the posters area. I remember I saw the Bobo doll, the uniform worn by the subjects in the Stanford prison experiment, and the equipment used in the Milgram experiment. It was really eye-opening when you really saw them in real life. I went to DC again in October to visit some museums. I really liked the  National Air and Space Museum and the Newseum. 

Edited by wnk4242

@wnk4242 Oh that's nice. I wish there is still a museum to see the setup of those experiments. Places at DC are mostly closed during the holiday, but those museums you mentioned are  appealing choices to me as well. I guess NY has more fun places that are still open this week. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, schenar said:

Just heard from a friend that U of Minnesota Ed Psyc's Quantitative Methods rolled out an offer to someone. Pretty quick move.

They made an offer to someone on Dec 22. Wondering if it was the same offer.

Thrilled to find this thread! 

The waiting period is killing me. I can't even focus on having a good time during the holidays. :(

Is anyone applying to U of Virginia's quant psych program?

2 hours ago, Jason2018 said:

Thrilled to find this thread! 

The waiting period is killing me. I can't even focus on having a good time during the holidays. :(

Is anyone applying to U of Virginia's quant psych program?

I think a couple of us applied for UVA's quant program. I feel you, it is difficult to enjoy time off while waiting.

Hello,

Glad I found this thread! I thought I would be okay with the waiting period, but oh I was so wrong about it.

I got and did a Skype interview last December from Wisconsin, which I found from this site that they already rolled out two offers. I didn't hear anything yet, and I wasn't really great in the interview.

Well, good luck everyone!

Edited by cupofsugar

On 2018/1/2 at 3:08 PM, schenar said:

Just heard from a friend that U of Minnesota Ed Psyc's Quantitative Methods rolled out an offer to someone. Pretty quick move.

Maybe you are talking about me... I received an offer from U Minnesota and I'm waiting for funding now.

7 hours ago, cupofsugar said:

Hello,

Glad I found this thread! I thought I would be okay with the waiting period, but oh I was so wrong about it.

I got and did a Skype interview last December from Wisconsin, which I found from this site that they already rolled out two offers. I didn't hear anything yet, and I wasn't really great in the interview.

Well, good luck everyone!

POI told me they are currently busy working on funding and maybe I have to wait until March. I think you still have a chance since final decisions are not made yet. Good luck!

30 minutes ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

Congratulations on the offer! I hope they get funding sorted out :D

Thank you:)

I love programs in quantitative psychology very much since they are typically more theoretical and mathematical than those in educational measurement, but I do not have a strong background in psychology and I am a little feared of taking too many graduate-level courses in psychology, so I gave up (For example, I am very interested in the quant psy program in Ohio State U, but it requires applicants to have completed at least 14 credits in psychology at the undergraduate level). Anyway, I do not have to compete with you and others applying for quant psy:lol:

1 hour ago, davidlv said:

POI told me they are currently busy working on funding and maybe I have to wait until March. I think you still have a chance since final decisions are not made yet. Good luck!

Congrats on your offer! Have you heard anything from U Maryland and UT Austin?

18 minutes ago, wnk4242 said:

Congrats on your offer! Have you heard anything from U Maryland and UT Austin?

No. I had a nice Skype talk with a faculty member at U Maryland before submitting my application, although he told me it was not a formal interview.

I don't think you need to worry now because many universities do not make decisions until February or even March according to historical results of this website. I think it may be due to problems about funding.

Thank you and good luck!

2 hours ago, davidlv said:

Thanks for the info!

And huge congrats on your offer :D 

9 hours ago, davidlv said:

Maybe you are talking about me... I received an offer from U Minnesota and I'm waiting for funding now.

lol right I didn't know about your offer until someone told me to take a look, and I've probably spent too much time on forums :p. Congrats again! I am sure the funding would work out eventually.

3 hours ago, wnk4242 said:

Just received an interview invite from the Measurement, Quantitative Methods, & Learning Sciences PhD program at the University of Houston. 

You're having an awesome week. Congratulations!

Are one of the schools you've heard from a top choice of yours?

On 1/9/2018 at 11:57 AM, wnk4242 said:

Just had my first Skype interview. It lasted for about 50 minutes. It went pretty well. We spent about 20 minutes talking about myself. The rest of the time, I asked a lot of questions to the POI. POI seemed to be a very nice person.

That's great! I  wondered is it typical to have the candidate lead half of the interview with questions? I.e., is it possible that the fit of the candidates is evaluated through the questions they asked as well?