Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

You're having an awesome week. Congratulations!

Are one of the schools you've heard from a top choice of yours?

Thank you! I like all the programs I applied to. I will be thrilled to be accepted by any of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One good tip I want to share with you guys if you are preparing your answers to the most common interview questions is that keep your answers succinct, easy to understand, and to the point. I don't th

I posted on this thread a while back in the summer saying I was applying to masters programs. Really excited to find out that today I got an offer for the MS in Applied Stats & Psychometrics progr

Finally, I have been officially admitted to FSU measurement and statistics program. Yay!

1 hour ago, schenar said:

That's great! I  wondered is it typical to have the candidate lead half of the interview with questions? I.e., is it possible that the fit of the candidates is evaluated through the questions they asked as well?

They will definitely give you an opportunity to ask your questions after you have answered theirs. I'm not sure I understand your second question. Can you clarify it? I asked a few questions that could help me better understand my POI's research. I asked more questions about the program. I can post my questions here if you want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wnk4242 said:

They will definitely give you an opportunity to ask your questions after you have answered theirs. I'm not sure I understand your second question. Can you clarify it? I asked a few questions that could help me better understand my POI's research. I asked more questions about the program. I can post my questions here if you want.

No that's fine. I am just not sure if I have enough questions to ask them, and I am worried that if I don't ask enough questions they might take it as a negative signal, but it's true asking questions about the program could help to understand it better. I will prepare for this more :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest, I'm starting to panic. I know the application season is still fairly young, but I assumed I would have heard back from more than one program by now. With that interview looming, I'm starting to think that I'll REALLY need to do well during that interview. How are you guys holding up? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

I'll be honest, I'm starting to panic. I know the application season is still fairly young, but I assumed I would have heard back from more than one program by now. With that interview looming, I'm starting to think that I'll REALLY need to do well during that interview. How are you guys holding up? 

Looking at your signature, I can say that I know for certain that UC Merced hasn't even begun application review yet so you're fine on that front. I was accepted by them last year, PM me if you have any questions about them!

ASU and UCLA have been dead silent and they don't seem to receive a lot of reports on the Results page.

Both UNC and Vanderbilt typically send out their invitations within weeks of application deadline so I think those aren't promising anymore.

OSU and Fordham aren't in my radar so I can't say much about them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

I'll be honest, I'm starting to panic. I know the application season is still fairly young, but I assumed I would have heard back from more than one program by now. With that interview looming, I'm starting to think that I'll REALLY need to do well during that interview. How are you guys holding up? 

I've seen posts on this forum saying that OSU used to send out decisions without interviews. I am not sure about ASU or UCLA either. 

The preparation turns out to be taxing for me as well. I am constantly  concerned about how my profiles and answers would be received and evaluated during the interview. I have Notre Dame in February but my POI said he's not taking students this year, so I am not sure how this one should go...I had a pre-interview call with U of Washington, and it made me think that the amount of my past psychology research projects was quite limited.

In any case I don't think you have to treat the UCD interview as an all-or-nothing event. It seems to me the visit is quite informational and interactive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up writing R code for scraping the entries on the Results page to get a grasp on how things were in the past. I know there is one available from the other thread by @Left Skew, but thought I'd do it by myself for a practice.

The queries were as follows: after searching with "psychology", entries with their major names including "quant" or "meth" were selected. Also, entries with "other" statuses were excluded. A total of 177 entries matched the criteria.

A weekly histogram of the collected dataset is attached, as well as their producing codes for future reference.

histogram (link)

code (link)

Edited by cupofsugar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! I know I'm arriving late to this party but I had no idea this forum was here. Now that I found it I think I'll probably check it impulsively (not that I think that's a good idea or something =P). I'm kinda feeling the 'starting to panic' thing, though it comes and goes for me -- I've only heard back from one school as well and I have no idea if I'll get in. I would LOVE to go there if I did...

I wish more schools posted application data -- for example, I love how UVA posts their number of applicants, offers and acceptances each year. A lot of programs don't even post whether they have official interviews for quant programs. Has anyone heard back from University of Missouri, Arizona State University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Virginia, Fordham University or University of Oklahoma yet? ASU says on their website that they try to review applications within four weeks and their application deadline was 12/5 so I'm doubting that one. The others I applied to don't offer a timeline. I'm thinking of calling and asking sometime this week, just to get full information. I guess that's one way I'm trying to cope with this stress: it's better to know than to worry. I hate not knowing! I don't know, I meet with my thesis chair tomorrow so I suppose I'll ask her about all this. She's been very confident about me throughout this entire process but it's a feeling I have a lot of trouble sharing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cupofsugar said:

I ended up writing R code for scraping the entries on the Results page to get a grasp on how things were in the past. I know there is one available from the other thread by @Left Skew, but thought I'd do it by myself for a practice.

The queries were as follows: after searching with "psychology", entries with their major names including "quant" or "meth" were selected. Also, entries with "other" statuses were excluded. A total of 177 entries matched the criteria.

A weekly histogram of the collected dataset is attached, as well as their producing codes for future reference.

histogram (link)

code (link)

@cupofsugar awesome job! If you have any ideas in regards to cleaning up the character columns let me know.

Edited by Left Skew
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MutedSeraph said:

Looking at your signature, I can say that I know for certain that UC Merced hasn't even begun application review yet so you're fine on that front. I was accepted by them last year, PM me if you have any questions about them!

ASU and UCLA have been dead silent and they don't seem to receive a lot of reports on the Results page.

Both UNC and Vanderbilt typically send out their invitations within weeks of application deadline so I think those aren't promising anymore.

OSU and Fordham aren't in my radar so I can't say much about them.

I agree UNC and Vanderbilt are pretty much a lost cause at this point. I think someone else on this forum actually heard from both of them (can't remember who though!). OSU was always a long shot for me because of the POI I applied to.

You're on the money about ASU and UCLA. I suppose I kind of thought I'd have heard from them by now, but if no one else has heard anything I'rom them it should be okay.

14 hours ago, schenar said:

I've seen posts on this forum saying that OSU used to send out decisions without interviews. I am not sure about ASU or UCLA either. 

The preparation turns out to be taxing for me as well. I am constantly  concerned about how my profiles and answers would be received and evaluated during the interview. I have Notre Dame in February but my POI said he's not taking students this year, so I am not sure how this one should go...I had a pre-interview call with U of Washington, and it made me think that the amount of my past psychology research projects was quite limited.

In any case I don't think you have to treat the UCD interview as an all-or-nothing event. It seems to me the visit is quite informational and interactive.

Notre Dame is a little weird. When I emailed a potential POI, they responded they had no plans to take a grad student, but I should apply anyway. It didn't seem like it was worth it to me. I wonder what that interview will look like!

Did you get the impression that UCD was not high stakes? I had trouble judging, but I know you've talked to your POI there a little more about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, letstrythiswinston said:

Hi all! I know I'm arriving late to this party but I had no idea this forum was here. Now that I found it I think I'll probably check it impulsively (not that I think that's a good idea or something =P). I'm kinda feeling the 'starting to panic' thing, though it comes and goes for me -- I've only heard back from one school as well and I have no idea if I'll get in. I would LOVE to go there if I did...

I wish more schools posted application data -- for example, I love how UVA posts their number of applicants, offers and acceptances each year. A lot of programs don't even post whether they have official interviews for quant programs. Has anyone heard back from University of Missouri, Arizona State University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Virginia, Fordham University or University of Oklahoma yet? ASU says on their website that they try to review applications within four weeks and their application deadline was 12/5 so I'm doubting that one. The others I applied to don't offer a timeline. I'm thinking of calling and asking sometime this week, just to get full information. I guess that's one way I'm trying to cope with this stress: it's better to know than to worry. I hate not knowing! I don't know, I meet with my thesis chair tomorrow so I suppose I'll ask her about all this. She's been very confident about me throughout this entire process but it's a feeling I have a lot of trouble sharing. 

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll congratulate you on finding this forum. It definitely makes you check way more impulsively!

I totally agree about the application data. It would be so much nicer if we were better able to judge how many people were applying and what the average applicant profile was.

Fordham University, ASU, and UVA haven't sent out invites/acceptances yet that I know of. ASU may say that on their website, but there is so many of us that applied to ASU I find it hard to believe that they sent anything out. Plus ASU has been dead in most psych areas. I'm not sure about the others on your list though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

Notre Dame is a little weird. When I emailed a potential POI, they responded they had no plans to take a grad student, but I should apply anyway. It didn't seem like it was worth it to me. I wonder what that interview will look like!

Did you get the impression that UCD was not high stakes? I had trouble judging, but I know you've talked to your POI there a little more about it.

Yeah this forum gives out application updates on a variable-interval schedule. It's hard to resist checking it from time to time...

I am not sure about the specifics of Notre Dame either. There is nothing yet about the schedule or who I will be talking to, now that my POI won't take students. I guess I won't have much expectation on this one. For UCD I was told that a part of the event includes applicants for all psychology areas, and that the evening gathering is student-only. At least these parts of the interview might not be so evaluative. There can still be some stakes, but it's just that for me consciously treating something as all-or-nothing has not been very helpful. The interview is an opportunity to present one's qualification and ideas of fit, rather than to (drastically) swing the odds of getting in I think :blink:.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll congratulate you on finding this forum. It definitely makes you check way more impulsively!

I totally agree about the application data. It would be so much nicer if we were better able to judge how many people were applying and what the average applicant profile was.

Fordham University, ASU, and UVA haven't sent out invites/acceptances yet that I know of. ASU may say that on their website, but there is so many of us that applied to ASU I find it hard to believe that they sent anything out. Plus ASU has been dead in most psych areas. I'm not sure about the others on your list though.

Insofar as ASU goes, I know that the Psych department started reviewing at least some applications immediately. I called a couple of days before our application was due to ask a question and was told that everyone was in reviewing applications and I should send an email. So they have at least looked at some apps, though I can't speak specifically to quant applications. I guess I don't take activity here as necessarily meaning something -- I didn't even know about this place up until yesterday. I don't think there's any reason for people to give up on those apps yet, however. 

It makes more sense to me that nobody has heard anything from Fordham. Their app was only due a couple of weeks ago and that probably coincided with the start of the semester. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they haven't reviewed apps yet, or that they were just beginning that process. 

I'll see what I can figure out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 12:30 AM, Left Skew said:

@cupofsugar awesome job! If you have any ideas in regards to cleaning up the character columns let me know.

@Left Skew Thanks! The tricky thing for me was that personally I’d rather *not* take a dictionary-based approach, but a robust algorithm for getting the unique set of campus names would probably be too much of an overkill.. I could take the string distances between all possible pairs of the campus names, and apply some threshold to keep the ones with meaningful distances. But then this would not work unless the abbreviations are expanded into their full names. “UCLA” and “UNC” are not that different to an algorithm..

And since they are campus names they are not likely to be changed a lot, which in that case a dictionary would be a better option. But then since they are campus names making a dictionary would need too much manual work. I stopped thinking from that point.

Oh, this waiting is making me nuts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MutedSeraph said:

Howdy y'all,

I just got an invite to UCLA for their Quantitative Psychology program.

Check your e-mails!

Awesome. Congratulations!

 

It seems that in this year the major interview sessions are starting this week, and from the past data I’m expecting most of them would happen in 3 weeks. I’m much less anxious now as I have a grasp on until when to expect them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cupofsugar said:

It seems that in this year the major interview sessions are starting this week, and from the past data I’m expecting most of them would happen in 3 weeks. I’m much less anxious now as I have a grasp on until when to expect them.

I agree with this -- I'm much much less anxious now. I haven't officially heard back from anywhere but as far as I can tell none of the eight schools I applied to have sent anything to applicants yet. Well, one of them has sent out a couple rounds of rejections, but I haven't received one so far. They're pretty competitive so I wouldn't be surprised -- I'm just glad to have made it this far. That says my application isn't total crap... lol

It would be fun to examine the differences in interview times/acceptances/rejections for programs in education departments vs those housed in psych departments. Maybe once I finish my thesis I'll give myself permission to look into that :P

Do you guys have first choice programs? I see people talking about that a lot in other topics but I've found I don't have one. I only applied to programs I'd love to attend/to people whose work I was interested in, and after that I decided to rely on my interactions with POIs/departments in general to decide. Assuming I get into more than one place :D

(Also: Congrats on the interview MutedSeraph!! :) )

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MutedSeraph said:

Howdy y'all,

I just got an invite to UCLA for their Quantitative Psychology program.

Check your e-mails!

Congrats! My professor got a call from them earlier this week, but I haven't received an interview invitation. Must be a really selective process. Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.