NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

17 hours ago, KarebearSW said:

I don't want to get myself too excited until I receive that letter, but yes, I will absolutely accept.  UofT is the only university I applied to.  How about you?

What stream did you apply to?  I applied to the full time (adv standing) Gerontology stream.  

Ok I got my letter yesterday!! Can't believe I got it out here in the prairies before you in ON but maybe they're just.. unorganized? But I've never read on any forum that there was a mistake on ROSI so I'm so confident you'll get your letter soon.

Also I was accepted to the mental health stream (adv standing). And was also accepted at Carleton.

Edited by ssbbaker

3 hours ago, ssbbaker said:

Ok I got my letter yesterday!! Can't believe I got it out here in the prairies before you in ON but maybe they're just.. unorganized? But I've never read on any forum that there was a mistake on ROSI so I'm so confident you'll get your letter soon.

Also I was accepted to the mental health stream (adv standing). And was also accepted at Carleton.

Yay!!!!  Congratulations ssbbaker!!!! :)

I am happy to say that I received my letter of acceptance today (I actually went in to the post office to intercept my mail delivery...I couldn't stand the waiting any longer. lol).  

I wish you all the very best!!!!  Where will you accept?

Any other going in to the Gerontology stream?  Advanced Standing?

14 hours ago, adorealire said:

For York, after the ten days, and people decline their offers do they start offering it up to those on the waitlist? 

Are you on the waitlist? If so for what program, 2 year, advanced standing full time / advanced standing part-time?

I haven't heard anything from them, so I am wondering if they are doing rolling acceptances. 

On 2/27/2017 at 8:40 PM, lindaMSW said:

My friend's sister  is also accepted to York advanced program last Thursday and she was rejected by U of T in the beginning of the month.

@lindaMSW Do you know if your friend has received anything in the mail regarding their acceptance packing/funding packing. I can't wait to get that big envelope in the mail! 

Thanks

18 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

If you type in ROSI on google, it will lead you to a U Toronto page were you can access the site. It's through Toronto's Student Web Services, and on the ROSI page there will be a link that will tell you what to do if you're a first time user. That's how I accessed ROSI for the first time anyway :P 

Thank you!!

4 hours ago, WIO said:

Are you on the waitlist? If so for what program, 2 year, advanced standing full time / advanced standing part-time?

I haven't heard anything from them, so I am wondering if they are doing rolling acceptances. 

Must be rolling acceptances because I spoke with two of my fellow classmates today who have also applied for the full time advanced standing and they have not heard anything back either.  Sigh. The waiting continues...

What confuses me about York is that some people have received acceptances and sounds like a few others were placed on the waiting list. So the people who haven't heard back, will they placed on the waiting list once the second batch of acceptances go out? I'm just confused :wacko:

1 minute ago, Onamika said:

What confuses me about York is that some people have received acceptances and sounds like a few others were placed on the waiting list. So the people who haven't heard back, will they placed on the waiting list once the second batch of acceptances go out? I'm just confused :wacko:

Yeah that's what has me puzzled too.  It's all a mystery.  I've actually come to terms with the reality that I didn't make it this cycle and am now waiting to hear back from my last school, Ryerson.

7 hours ago, WIO said:

I am on the wait list, I received an email last week, I applied for the advanced standing full time 

On 2/28/2017 at 8:08 PM, riaveda said:

Do any of you feel like the stress from waiting to hear back from schools is taking a toll on your interpersonal relationships? 

In early January, my partner accepted a job offer in Toronto. The only Toronto program that I've applied to is the 2-year program at UofT (all of the other programs that I've applied to are scattered around SW Ontario). In a perfect world, I would get into UofT & move to Toronto to be with my partner but we clearly don't know if that's going to happen. The stress of the situation is really wearing me down & I would like to know if any of you are in a similar position. 

Hi @riaveda, That's the beauty of having a partner. You have the opportunity to share each other's stresses and successes! I definitely feel you on this one. My partner is in a completely different industry - one I left a number of years ago, so it's a little difficult for him to understand where I am coming from. We live together in downtown Toronto, so U of T was the only MSW program I applied for. Its definitely commendable that you are taking your partner's needs into consideration and they will certainly understand and support you for doing this. Nonetheless, you definitely have the mutual support of fellow applicants here! Remember to self care and keep your optimism. Everything will work out in the end!

You guys! I received an offer to UBC-O on Friday! I spent most of the day bawling, I was so excited :lol: (and then was subsequently rejected for my 1st choice for psych at Carleton so, really,  a whirlwind few days of emotion) but I'm still thrilled about UBC. Now I just keep checking ROSI. I hope the two-year results come quickly- I have to let UBC know by March 17 and the wait is killing me.

On a side note: this is such a supportive community, so I wanted to take a second to say that you all are great. So quick to offer assistance and advice, and for people like me that spent most of the time lurking the page and hyperventilating through the process, I really appreciated all the comments on the forum. Hoping you all receive good news soon!

5 minutes ago, LaingerMAMSW said:

You guys! I received an offer to UBC-O on Friday! I spent most of the day bawling, I was so excited :lol: (and then was subsequently rejected for my 1st choice for psych at Carleton so, really,  a whirlwind few days of emotion) but I'm still thrilled about UBC. Now I just keep checking ROSI. I hope the two-year results come quickly- I have to let UBC know by March 17 and the wait is killing me.

On a side note: this is such a supportive community, so I wanted to take a second to say that you all are great. So quick to offer assistance and advice, and for people like me that spent most of the time lurking the page and hyperventilating through the process, I really appreciated all the comments on the forum. Hoping you all receive good news soon!

Congrats on UBC, @LaingerMAMSW! Hopefully U of T updates 2-years soon!!

I second that. I would've felt SO lost and overwhelmed during this process if not for this community. None of my peers from my BSW are applying to grad school yet, and it's been so nice to talk with people that understand. THANKS EVERYONE just for being here!

36 minutes ago, LaingerMAMSW said:

Ask for an extension from UBC!! I mentioned a few posts back, but I called Angela and 2 year results will not  be released until end of March to early April

I called York today and the admissions said offers will be released through March and April. I then spoke with someone from the Social Work department and she said offers for the Advanced Standing Part Time program will be out the end of March, and that it will change on MyFile before an e-mail is sent out.

After the call I checked MyFile and decisions was changed to unsuccessful :(. Does anyone know if York is willing to give feedback regarding your application. 

5 minutes ago, WIO said:

I called York today and the admissions said offers will be released through March and April. I then spoke with someone from the Social Work department and she said offers for the Advanced Standing Part Time program will be out the end of March, and that it will change on MyFile before an e-mail is sent out.

After the call I checked MyFile and decisions was changed to unsuccessful :(. Does anyone know if York is willing to give feedback regarding your application. 

Ah, I am sorry to hear this.  They may send out an email or letter afterwards with an explanation.  I know UVIC emailed me a day after my status changed to give feedback but I wasn't sure if the others did that.  Mine still says No Decision Yet for advanced standing/part-time.  

18 minutes ago, WIO said:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get accepted WIO.  I don't believe they give feedback.

I applied for advanced standing full time and mine still says "No Decision Yet."  Anyone else on this thread waiting to hear back for advanced standing full time?

Could anyone inform me of what the MSW at York University looks like? Does anyone know if it's a good program and what the practicum placements are like? And also what housing options someone from another province has? Is it wise to bring a car or to do off campus housing? :o

9 hours ago, dnswsa said:

Could anyone inform me of what the MSW at York University looks like? Does anyone know if it's a good program and what the practicum placements are like? And also what housing options someone from another province has? Is it wise to bring a car or to do off campus housing? :o

I went on a campus tour two days ago and found out a lot of these questions from the tourer. Bringing a car is very expensive. The parking inside the campus is $500 per 3 months. There are these home just outside the campus for student to rent (not associated with the campus) and sometimes you can rent a spot there for like $50. There are lots of residence options. If you are 24+ I believe you are eligible for mature housing. Otherwise, there are lots of other option to share rooms or share houses, etcs,. The meal hall, I think they call it student hall, is HUGE. There are like 30 spots or more to get food from, they have a salon, dentists, salons, doctors, pubs, a huge shoppers, etc etc. 

If you swing back to the forum started the beginning of this year (Canadian MSW waiting game 2017) you'll see near the beginning a length post about the program. Aside from it being not clinical, it's a very competitive program and has a great reputation. They only accept 20-30 people and basically offer a graduate assistantship to everyone (all these details are on the website) values at $5000-$8000 working somewheres like 135 hours over the three terms (adv standing) that you go there. Also TTC transit passes for student are $119 a month and it's easy to get there via subway/bus. 

16 minutes ago, Lauren770 said:

Hello all,

I got accepted yesterday to the MSW part time advanced standing program at York which I am please to accept!

Anyone else accepted?

Thank you

Lauren 

Congratulations! I'll see you this Autumn, i'll be in the full time advance standing! 

1 hour ago, Lauren770 said:

Hello all,

I got accepted yesterday to the MSW part time advanced standing program at York which I am please to accept!

Anyone else accepted?

Thank you

Lauren 

Congrats!  You must be thrilled :)  Good to see that they are still rolling out acceptances for part-time advanced standing program (I thought it might have been too late) - thanks for sharing!