NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

17 minutes ago, Lauren770 said:

SW-student Congrats!!

Looking forward to meeting you. Are you coming from work-force or school?

All the best

Lauren

From school mostly. Yourself? 

20 hours ago, dnswsa said:

Could anyone inform me of what the MSW at York University looks like? Does anyone know if it's a good program and what the practicum placements are like? And also what housing options someone from another province has? Is it wise to bring a car or to do off campus housing? :o

It is not a clinical program, if that's what you are looking for. But it is an MSW so you always get extra training through workshops, certificates, volunteer work, etc, after you graduate. In Ontario, this program offers significantly more funding than any other MSW program and the tuition fees are amongst the lowest of all MSW programs (probably the lowest in Ontario) , so you are quite fortunate in that respect. The cost of housing is high in Toronto but your scholarship will help to compensate for it.

Unless you are able to arrive in town 1-2 weeks early to look for housing, or you can drop by for a few days 1-2 months in advance to find a place, you'd have a much easier time renting in residence. They should have options for grad students so you can live with more mature students. Generally, I find that residence is more expensive than renting off campus, but it's convenient and you can make friends from other programs more easily that way, which is a nice bonus when you are moving from another province. And you can opt to rent for only 1-2 semesters and move off campus later on if you wish to get something cheaper and save some money.

If you want more neighbourhood or housing options (as the Jane & Finch area does not have the reputation for being the safest part of Toronto at night), there is also a really lovely, smaller campus called Glendon located in a nicer part of the city (Bayview & Lawrence) that offers free shuttle service back and forth in between both campuses, in case you prefer to live somewhere else in the city or find a great apartment in that area and want to save money on bus fare. 

I know this has been chatted about already but I can't seem to find it in the last forum --

Does anyone know the program size for U of T?? (specifically year 2/advanced standing). Something is telling me it's 100 but I have no idea where I got that number from lol

1 hour ago, Shelby0314 said:

I hear back from King's (Western University) today and I am on the waitlist! Also on the waitlist for Windsor and got rejected from Laurier. 

I hate the waiting game!

The 1 or 2 year program?

5 hours ago, Shelby0314 said:

I hear back from King's (Western University) today and I am on the waitlist! Also on the waitlist for Windsor and got rejected from Laurier. 

I hate the waiting game!

Hi! I also applied to Windsor and Laurier but for the 2 year MSW, how did you find out your admission status for both? 

7 hours ago, moli said:

Hi! I also applied to Windsor and Laurier but for the 2 year MSW, how did you find out your admission status for both? 

I applied for the 1 year program at both schools. For Laurier, I got a letter in the mail and my online profile was updated shortly after. For windsor and western they emailed me 

Hi everyone, this is my third year of applying to grad programs. This year I applied again to OISE M.Ed Counselling Psychology and U of T 2 year MSW (and Ryerson's midwifery program) -- I currently cannot move out of Toronto (kids in school), and would love to be accepted to any of these programs. I just checked ROSI tonight and it says status "Invited" for the M.Ed. Counselling Psychology program -- does that mean I was accepted??? It did not say anything about the MSW program.

2 hours ago, LondonFog said:

Hi everyone, this is my third year of applying to grad programs. This year I applied again to OISE M.Ed Counselling Psychology and U of T 2 year MSW (and Ryerson's midwifery program) -- I currently cannot move out of Toronto (kids in school), and would love to be accepted to any of these programs. I just checked ROSI tonight and it says status "Invited" for the M.Ed. Counselling Psychology program -- does that mean I was accepted??? It did not say anything about the MSW program.

Yes that means you are accepted to the M.Ed. program! My ROSI status changed to "invited" when I got accepted to OISE

7 hours ago, dnswsa said:

For those admitted into york, how did you find out? By email or letter?

I got an email first and then my status changed two days later and then I was able to accept online.

29 minutes ago, socialwerq said:

I was accepted into Western on Friday! :) 2 emails sent a few minutes apart - only 5 business days to accept/decline, but exciting!

Congratulations!! That is such a short period of time to decide though! Did you also apply to the 1 year program? I am just trying to determine if they released any 2 year decisions yet!

7 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Congratulations!! That is such a short period of time to decide though! Did you also apply to the 1 year program? I am just trying to determine if they released any 2 year decisions yet!

Yes I'm doing the 1 year! They had sent us all an email in January saying we would hear back the first week of March and were true to their word - maybe they sent you something similar? 

13 minutes ago, socialwerq said:

Yes I'm doing the 1 year! They had sent us all an email in January saying we would hear back the first week of March and were true to their word - maybe they sent you something similar? 

That's good to hear! I believe that there are still a couple of weeks until 2 year decisions are released - I was just wondering if maybe they decided to release some early :P Congratulations again on your acceptance! That's really great news!

53 minutes ago, socialwerq said:

I received an email from Western saying, "We look forward to reviewing your application and supporting documentation, and anticipate that final decisions will be made by the middle of March.  All applicants to the 2-Year program will be advised at that time."

So hopefully only a week or two to go!

36 minutes ago, hornets14 said:

I received an email from Western saying, "We look forward to reviewing your application and supporting documentation, and anticipate that final decisions will be made by the middle of March.  All applicants to the 2-Year program will be advised at that time."

So hopefully only a week or two to go!

Ha! This whole time I forgot about that email... Just searched my inbox and sure enough, there it is!

Hey sorry for going off topic but my friend is applying for the bachelors/ masters of education at U OF T. A lot of you have gotten your ROSI updated in regards to Masters of social work. But in the photo attached it says "financially cancelled". Does it say that for your ROSI? Did she get accepted??? Please let me know asap! :(

rps20170305_141713.jpg

3 hours ago, moh230 said:

Hey sorry for going off topic but my friend is applying for the bachelors/ masters of education at U OF T. A lot of you have gotten your ROSI updated in regards to Masters of social work. But in the photo attached it says "financially cancelled". Does it say that for your ROSI? Did she get accepted??? Please let me know asap! :(

rps20170305_141713.jpg

Financially cancelled probably means no funding because MT is not a funded program. Judging by other components of ROSI, it looks like she got accepted. Ask her to call the department tomorrow to confirm, but it is looking good for now!

9 hours ago, 2017hoping said:

I have a question, as a mature student - working in the field and out of school for 5 plus years, are there still loans that you can apply for?  

Do you live in Ontario? If so, you can apply for OSAP (or the equivalent in your home province). There is a certain annual income amount you need to fall under to qualify though and I don't know what it is. If you are married, you will also need to report your spouse's income.

If you do not qualify, you can apply for a line of credit at a bank. I know someone who did this in BC because her loan did not cover all of her expenses. The interest rate will be higher than a government student loan, however, and interest will begin from the day you take the money, rather than 6 months after you graduate.

You might also qualify for an entrance scholarship from your school or a university scholarship after you begin the program.

If these options aren't appealing to you, then you can always try to defer your offer for one year due to financial reasons so that you will have some time to save the money you need ,or apply to a part time program so you can work while you study. Windsor's MSW for working professionals is a good option because the classes are only offered on the weekend. You can also look into Laurier, UofT and some online options like U of Waterloo.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by thelionking

1 hour ago, thelionking said:

Do you live in Ontario? If so, you can apply for OSAP (or the equivalent in your home province). There is a certain annual income amount you need to fall under to qualify though and I don't know what it is. If you are married, you will also need to report your spouse's income.

If you do not qualify, you can apply for a line of credit at a bank. I know someone who did this in BC because her loan did not cover all of her expenses. The interest rate will be higher than a government student loan, however, and interest will begin from the day you take the money, rather than 6 months after you graduate.

You might also qualify for an entrance scholarship from your school or a university scholarship after you begin the program.

If these options aren't appealing to you, then you can always try to defer your offer for one year due to financial reasons so that you will have some time to save the money you need ,or apply to a part time program so you can work while you study. Windsor's MSW for working professionals is a good option because the classes are only offered on the weekend. You can also look into Laurier, UofT and some online options like U of Waterloo.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hey, thanks!  I have some savings but I"m thinking of just a little extra help later on.  I started to look into OSAP; i didn't need to use it for my undergrad but I could possibly apply for that.  I was thinking of a bank loan as well but I already have a mortgage too and don't want to add too much debt; or more to my mortgage - although it's always an option.  I definitely plan on doing MSW (as of now, U of Calgary).  I will probably see what I can do this year and apply for a bank loan next year; or apply to OSAP  :)     

6 hours ago, moh230 said:

rps20170305_141713.jpg

I just read this on another thread:

"I calledOISE  and although they were reluctant to answer my questions, they did say the "financially cancelled" is a designation they apply so that students cannot accept programs when they are awarded until the requirements are met. I am finishing 4th year at UofT so this makes sense."