NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

11 hours ago, 2017hoping said:

Hey, thanks!  I have some savings but I"m thinking of just a little extra help later on.  I started to look into OSAP; i didn't need to use it for my undergrad but I could possibly apply for that.  I was thinking of a bank loan as well but I already have a mortgage too and don't want to add too much debt; or more to my mortgage - although it's always an option.  I definitely plan on doing MSW (as of now, U of Calgary).  I will probably see what I can do this year and apply for a bank loan next year; or apply to OSAP  :)     

You'll definitely need to ask OSAP about that. I know someone who had a brand new car and was declined OSAP. When she asked why, she said the value of her car was too high. Basically, she was expected to sell it and use the money for school. So instead she kept the car, lived with her parents and drove a few hours per day for school. It wasn't ideal, but she made it work.

It might not be the same for a house though because you need a place to live - especially if you have children. I think you'd need to contact them and ask. 

Something else to keep in mind... If you are an Ontario resident and plan to study in Alberta, you might not be eligible for most scholarships and awards. I know this is the cause for Laurier. There are about 70 types of awards and scholarships for all grad students (not just MSW) and if you are not considered an Ontario resident (defined by your province of residence 12 mths before beginning the program), you are only considered for about 7 of them. You might want to look into this at Calgary if it's important to you.

Edited by thelionking

On 3/4/2017 at 8:00 PM, LondonFog said:

Hi everyone, this is my third year of applying to grad programs. This year I applied again to OISE M.Ed Counselling Psychology and U of T 2 year MSW (and Ryerson's midwifery program) -- I currently cannot move out of Toronto (kids in school), and would love to be accepted to any of these programs. I just checked ROSI tonight and it says status "Invited" for the M.Ed. Counselling Psychology program -- does that mean I was accepted??? It did not say anything about the MSW program.

It means you have been accepted! That is wonderful :) Congrats!!! I spoke to Todd (the program liason) and he said that they were still going through applications and people would not hear back until approx. mid March, so this is great news for you. 

30 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I know realistically we probably won't hear back from any programs this week... But this is the first week the 2 year program heard back from U of T last year, so here's to hoping they surprise us with some admissions! 

Here's to crossing our fingers and hoping! Let's keep the positive feels up!

Hello  All...

I applied to Laurier's 2 year MSW program for 2017 and am wondering from fellow applicants what their applications look like on Loris....? From reading some of the other posts about other Universities there seems to be a status update tool (ie. "in progress" "under review" etc....).  For myself, when I click on the graduate applications link on my loris page it simply takes me to my application (the documents we were required to upload and a list of my referees....).  Are other applicants seeing something different??

9 minutes ago, winterjmsw said:

Hello  All...

I applied to Laurier's 2 year MSW program for 2017 and am wondering from fellow applicants what their applications look like on Loris....? From reading some of the other posts about other Universities there seems to be a status update tool (ie. "in progress" "under review" etc....).  For myself, when I click on the graduate applications link on my loris page it simply takes me to my application (the documents we were required to upload and a list of my referees....).  Are other applicants seeing something different??

That's also what I see. From what I've heard/read, I believe it just stays that way until admissions results are released.

3 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

It means you have been accepted! That is wonderful :) Congrats!!! I spoke to Todd (the program liason) and he said that they were still going through applications and people would not hear back until approx. mid March, so this is great news for you. 

That is awesome, thank you!! So much better than last year, when I didn't even get my rejection letter until June! (The first one got lost in the mail, I guess.)

On 3/5/2017 at 0:03 PM, socialwerq said:

I was accepted into the 1 yr MSW at Western on Friday! :) 2 emails sent a few minutes apart - only 5 business days to accept/decline, but exciting!

Congratulations! Are you currently attending Western? And do you think you'll accept this offer? :) 

16 hours ago, thelionking said:

You'll definitely need to ask OSAP about that. I know someone who had a brand new car and was declined OSAP. When she asked why, she said the value of her car was too high. Basically, she was expected to sell it and use the money for school. So instead she kept the car, lived with her parents and drove a few hours per day for school. It wasn't ideal, but she made it work.

It might not be the same for a house though because you need a place to live - especially if you have children. I think you'd need to contact them and ask. 

Something else to keep in mind... If you are an Ontario resident and plan to study in Alberta, you might not be eligible for most scholarships and awards. I know this is the cause for Laurier. There are about 70 types of awards and scholarships for all grad students (not just MSW) and if you are not considered an Ontario resident (defined by your province of residence 12 mths before beginning the program), you are only considered for about 7 of them. You might want to look into this at Calgary if it's important to you.

Yes, good point - thanks!  Ah that's too bad for your friend but I'm glad she found a way!  You would think that your primary residence is considered to be a basic need but you never know with OSAP like you say.  

1 hour ago, Shelby0314 said:

Congratulations! Are you currently attending Western? And do you think you'll accept this offer? :) 

No, I'm currently at Dalhousie. I am not sure yet where I will go but Western definitely seems like a great program!

26 minutes ago, jaylynn said:

Anyone else still waiting on Waterloo's advanced standing program? 

Also, for those going to Windsor in May, do you plan on moving there then or do you think you'll just commute up once a week for the course?

I am still waiting on Waterloo as well, is anyone not? I haven't noticed any acceptance yet. I'm thinking next week.

Edited by socialwerq

1 hour ago, jaylynn said:

Anyone else still waiting on Waterloo's advanced standing program? 

Also, for those going to Windsor in May, do you plan on moving there then or do you think you'll just commute up once a week for the course?

Are you accepted to Windsor? I'm just on the waitlist right now, but if I got in it would be a 3 hour drive from where I'm from.. but I had a hard time finding out what the summer schedule would be like? I thought it looked like it would be a Tuesday class and a Friday class for the summer but I could be wrong?

Best of luck to you!

11 minutes ago, Shelby0314 said:

Are you accepted to Windsor? I'm just on the waitlist right now, but if I got in it would be a 3 hour drive from where I'm from.. but I had a hard time finding out what the summer schedule would be like? I thought it looked like it would be a Tuesday class and a Friday class for the summer but I could be wrong?

Best of luck to you!

I was accepted. It's also a 3 hour drive for me (I'm in Toronto). I'm in the middle of trying to buy a used car now :mellow:

I checked the schedule today. I believe it's on a Friday for the first course and Tuesday for the second, so really only once a week during those 3 months. 

Hope you get off the waitlist soon. I'm sure you will! 

On 3/2/2017 at 11:17 AM, tnt92 said:

Ask for an extension from UBC!! I mentioned a few posts back, but I called Angela and 2 year results will not  be released until end of March to early April

Oh good call, thanks tnt92! Hopefully they'll allow it

1 hour ago, Lauren_ said:

I have been accepted to Western's 2 year MSW program... I guess acceptances have started! :)

Hey did you get the acceptance by email or did you log into the western Ontario website or by mail?? 

Edited by moh230

7 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

In your opinion, which university has the most radical/grassroots social work program in Canada? I heard that most programs are "clinical" and do not address much systemic oppression..

Most are clinical and address systemic oppression, as this is the very nature of the field of social work. If you are asking which schools have a more macro approach York U might be a good choice for you.

I see that you have applied to some French programs in Quebec. I would wager that attending a French university might give you more of what you are looking for as French Quebecois have a long standing history of staging demonstrations and protests and being quite successful in advancing their causes. So you might feel more at home there.

Edited by thelionking

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

In your opinion, which university has the most radical/grassroots social work program in Canada? I heard that most programs are "clinical" and do not address much systemic oppression..

Ryerson's program is grounded in anti-oppressive practice and focuses on social justice, community work and systemic oppression. They typically look outside of the traditional clinical social work education. ( I am still only a hopeful prospective student,  but this is what I gathered from the open houses, website and student testimonials, this is important to me in an MSW program too so I hope the program fulfils this mission!)

Edited by Noodle4

1 hour ago, moh230 said:

Hey did you get the acceptance by email or did you log into the western Ontario website or by mail?? 

I received two emails tonight and it was also updated online. I am hoping to hear from other schools shortly as March 14 is the deadline to accept my offer. 

1 hour ago, MSW2MD said:

York wins !!! I learned so much about grassroots/critical social work there !!! Only after attending York, I have decided to pursue my career in medical profession so that I can gain more power to fight back the oppressive discourses imposed on marginalized/disadvantaged  individuals and communities. I would never considered go to medical school if I had gone to a clinical orientated MSW program. In fact, I dropped out from the  " Harvard of North" MSW program because I couldn't tolerate its pretentious " elite" institutional culture and the overtly  racist attitude towards colored students/staff. 

Thats really interesting! I have never really seen myself as a "clinical" person so it helps to hear your experiences. What was the practicum process like and what kind of opportunities or agencies have students had?