NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

4 minutes ago, thelionking said:

I agree. It might be best to sent the person a PM if you wish to have the answer to this question so that the thread doesn't go off topic.

agreed

Edited by gradschool2017

25 minutes ago, thelionking said:

I agree. It might be best to sent the person a PM if you wish to have the answer to this question so that the thread doesn't go off topic.

I had not realized we could PM each other but I probably would have done this anyways to keep everything in the open

Edited by Hopeful18

29 minutes ago, gradschool2017 said:

why are you bringing attention to this? it's a new board. straying away from the topic by bringing this up again isn't necessary. 

For me it was relevant and necessary. I am sure he is able to speak for himself.

I understand that MSW2MD/YEWANG upset a lot of people in the previous thread. However, he hasn't really done anything to provoke anyone recently and the last thing I want is for another forum to get locked by a moderator, especially during such a stressful time. 

As social workers I think it is important to remember that we don't know everyone's story and for all we know, this person may have some personal stuff they have yet to work through. Obviously, this might not be the case, but I think it's important to keep in mind. 

4 minutes ago, jaylynn said:

I understand that MSW2MD/YEWANG upset a lot of people in the previous thread. However, he hasn't really done anything to provoke anyone recently and the last thing I want is for another forum to get locked by a moderator, especially during such a stressful time. 

As social workers I think it is important to remember that we don't know everyone's story and for all we know, this person may have some personal stuff they have yet to work through. Obviously, this might not be the case, but I think it's important to keep in mind. 

I completely agree with you Jaylynn.  However, as Social Workers ensuring communities have some semblance of safety and integrity is also very important.  My question was posed in a respectful manner and it is  YEWANG/MSW&MD/MSW2MD's choice  to answer or not.

3 hours ago, Lauren_ said:

Hey Lindsay, my GPA was a 91 and I have 1000+ hours as I had previous practicums at CAS and currently work within the field.  I don't have years of experience within the social work field but I think that my experiences were relevant as I did a lot of volunteering throughout University. 

I am sure that you have are a great candidate and to be honest I still have no idea what aspect of my application got me in. lol 

Goodluck!

Wow. You're GPA is awesome. hat is super intimidating. My GPA was only 78.3 but I have over 7000 hours of volunteer work in the social service field. I'm hoping it's enough. I'm terrified. This is round 3 of applications.

Lindsay

10 hours ago, moh230 said:

Yup I'm in the same as boat as you. Did you also apply to 2 year MSW at western? My GPA was 77% (B+) for the last 2 years and iv had around 2000-2500 hours of experience working as a mental health guard and as a social support worker 

Yeah I applied to Western, windsor and laurier. I have a 78.3 gpa and over 7000 hours of experience leading a youth group, crisis counsellor, with Child and youth services and a women's shelter. I'm so anxious. 

Does anyone know in general how long it usually is between waves of acceptances for schools? I am just wondering if I should be expecting to hear about an acceptance/rejection from Western any time soon or if it could still be quite some time

6 minutes ago, hornets14 said:

I just got an email from Western saying I'd been put on the wait list for the 2-year MSW.

Hey, at least you still have a chance at getting in! Did they say when you'll know by?

Also, I haven't heard anything from Western so I'm starting to think that after admissions and wait list emails, rejections are probably coming next :unsure:

5 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Hey, at least you still have a chance at getting in! Did they say when you'll know by?

Also, I haven't heard anything from Western so I'm starting to think that after admissions and wait list emails, rejections are probably coming next :unsure:

Having some sort of an answer is comforting for sure!  It didn't give a date it just said "should a position become available we will contact you immediately."  I hope you hear soon and it's good news!

25 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I keep getting emails from professors, and every time an email notification pops up on my phone screen my heart skips a beat because I keep thinking it might be Western :P:rolleyes:

:) No worries - it will be a better month for the two-year program in terms of notifications. I still havn't heard anything either way from York, advanced standing...

3 minutes ago, 2017hoping said:

:) No worries - it will be a better month for the two-year program in terms of notifications. I still havn't heard anything either way from York, advanced standing...

Ah, that is definitely tough! I hope you hear something soon! Not knowing can drive you crazy

17 minutes ago, adorealire said:

Does anyone know when applicants should be hearing from Ryerson? Must be soon, no?

Should be the next couple weeks I believe.

Hello everyone,

I don't really know how to use this forum but I'm trying lol.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted (and waitlisted!!)

Has anyone been accepted to Laurier and/or UofT yet?

These are the only 2 schools I've applied to for the two-year MSW program. I haven't heard anything yet - not even 'decision made' on the UofT Admissions site.

This waiting game sucks!

Vanessa

43 minutes ago, adorealire said:

Does anyone know when applicants should be hearing from Ryerson? Must be soon, no?

I believe last year results started rolling out on march 6, so should be any day! 

59 minutes ago, adorealire said:

I remember Ryerson graduate office  called me in  late March and asked me if I am still interested in their MSW program. I didn't receive any offer letter or email from the admission office prior to this  and I feel it was really weird. Did you attend Ryerson for your BSW?

1 hour ago, adorealire said:

I hope it is soon. This forum is a blessing and a curse, it's wonderful hearing about about everyone's experiences and successes with the waiting game, but seeing that all the decisions going out for other programs makes it so much harder to wait!

24 minutes ago, moh230 said:

just got the rejection letter from western ontario 2 Year MSW. so sad

Feeling sad is completely justified. What are some ways you've used to cope with rejection? Maybe those acts of self-care will work. One rejection will not determine if you will become a social worker. Perseverance is a characteristic of a great social workers and if you want to be a social worker, you will be a social worker. You will find a way to not let this discourage you :)

28 minutes ago, moh230 said:

just got the rejection letter from western ontario 2 Year MSW. so sad

Me too, just got rejected by Western. They said it was my non-academic requirements - I'm assuming it's my experience. I have a good amount, but not 4000 hours like some that I've been reading about on here. Scares me because I don't really have high hopes for the other three schools I applied for now. Currently in class and it's super hard to concentrate now

1 minute ago, nicoleMSW said:

Me too, just got rejected by Western. They said it was my non-academic requirements - I'm assuming it's my experience. I have a good amount, but not 4000 hours like some that I've been reading about on here. Scares me because I don't really have high hopes for the other three schools I applied for now. Currently in class and it's super hard to concentrate now

yea they also said it was because of my Non-Acedemic-requirements too. you never know, hopefully we get accepted somewhere! good luck