NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

11 hours ago, lovelife905 said:

if you don't mind me asking what was your average when you were waitlisted for the two year program?

My GPA in my last year at UofT was 3.87. UofT's MSW program calculates the last 2 years of courses for your undergrad I believe? So it was just less than a 4.0. 

My first year messed up my overall GPA pretty badly though :( 

16 hours ago, canadianmsw said:

Thanks Roxxx! I am waiting to hear back from Carleton, U of T and Laurier for the 2 year program. I have been working as an addiction counsellor for three years. I also have research experience with the government on mental health programs for police officers. I have a few volunteer roles too.

I am hoping to stay local and get into Carleton. Fingers crossed. I know last year everyone found out on February 11th for both advanced standing and 2 year programs so it should be any day now. I know that Carleton got hacked in December so that may slow things down a bit. Only time will tell !

Yay another Carleton hopeful! There hasn't been much of that on here. Though I've applied to advanced standing (also at U of T), not 2 year. Sounds like no one's heard a peep from most schools including these two..?

I'm glad we have this thread to share our experiences with the application process.  I've applied to advanced standing, part time at York, and then three MSW distance programs: University of Victoria, Dalhousie University, and University of Calgary (LHS specialization).  

Hoping to hear something within the next couple of weeks, hang in there everybody! 

2 hours ago, ssbbaker said:

Yay another Carleton hopeful! There hasn't been much of that on here. Though I've applied to advanced standing (also at U of T), not 2 year. Sounds like no one's heard a peep from most schools including these two..?

UofT held interviews for the MSW-ITR applicants 2 weeks ago and should be advising them this week, then I believe it is Advanced Standing the week after or so. 

14 hours ago, Newfor2017 said:

Hey Jaylynn-have you heard from any of your schools yet? Any program you're leaning towards? Unfortunately I put all my eggs in one basket and just applied to Windsors advanced standing program.  Windsor originally said applicants would know by January and in subsequent communication with them, they told me we'd know "early February."  Praying for some positive decisions asap :) best of luck to you ?

I live in Toronto, so ideally UofT, just to save on some costs. At this point I'll take whoever will have me! :| 

This windsor nonsense is making me nervous. 

1 hour ago, Dry_Guy said:

UofT held interviews for the MSW-ITR applicants 2 weeks ago and should be advising them this week, then I believe it is Advanced Standing the week after or so. 

Ah the inside scoop - thanks for letting me know @Dry_Guy! If my creeping last year's forum would suggest, this is later than other years. Any idea why that is?

7 minutes ago, ssbbaker said:

Ah the inside scoop - thanks for letting me know @Dry_Guy! If my creeping last year's forum would suggest, this is later than other years. Any idea why that is?

I have no idea, but from creeping on these forums as well lol it seems like last year was a weird fluke, if I'm wrong someone can correct me. 

24 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

I have no idea, but from creeping on these forums as well lol it seems like last year was a weird fluke, if I'm wrong someone can correct me. 

You are very correct dry_guy, this is my third year apply to UofT and it seems like last year was a surprise when they came out so early, even years before I applied it always seemed to come out early March or very late February. The wait continues. 

Sharing this because I didn't realize the school of social work website said late February! So exciting! >>

"Application review results for the Fall 2017 session are expected to be available by late February, 2017 for the MSW Advanced Standing Program, and by mid-March, 2017 for the 2-Year MSW program."  

http://socialwork.gradstudies.yorku.ca/msw/msw-how-to-apply/

1 hour ago, SW_Student said:

Sharing this because I didn't realize the school of social work website said late February! So exciting! >>

"Application review results for the Fall 2017 session are expected to be available by late February, 2017 for the MSW Advanced Standing Program, and by mid-March, 2017 for the 2-Year MSW program."  

http://socialwork.gradstudies.yorku.ca/msw/msw-how-to-apply/

Fingers crossed they actually keep with their timeline.  I looked over the past years Canadian M.S.W. threads and the time they notify students seems to fluctuate so we shouldn't be too overly concerned if we don't hear back late February.

12 minutes ago, socialwerq said:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I'm happy to report that I received an acceptance today (~6pm Atlantic) via email to Calgary's 1 Year Clinical Specialization. So relieved. I hope you all start receiving news in the not-so-distant future! :) 

Ah, great to hear!  Congratulations, that's AWESOME!  I am waiting to hear back from Calgary's one year program too, the Leadership in Human Services specialization.  Thanks for letting us know :)

32 minutes ago, socialwerq said:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I'm happy to report that I received an acceptance today (~6pm Atlantic) via email to Calgary's 1 Year Clinical Specialization. So relieved. I hope you all start receiving news in the not-so-distant future! :) 

Congratulations!!! 

8 hours ago, jaylynn said:

I live in Toronto, so ideally UofT, just to save on some costs. At this point I'll take whoever will have me! :| 

This windsor nonsense is making me nervous. 

It's nerve wracking for sure Jaylynn! Good luck and hope we all start hearing back soon.  Take care and keep me posted on any positive news you receive!

Just wanted to let everyone know that it seems Laurier has started to send out wait list offers. I received an email today asking if I would like to be put on a wait list for the advanced standing program! It's my top choice so I'm crossing my fingers that it will eventually lead to an acceptance.

Also, if anyone has past experience with the wait lists I would be interested in knowing when people heard back...the email says that the wait list will be closed on July 31st - does this mean that I won't hear back until then? Or is there a chance that I could hear back earlier? 

Edited by Kate_S

I just received the rejection letter from U of T 2 year program, I was crying the whole day and had to cancel tonight's V day dinner with my boyfriend. Anyway, I feel happy for those of you who get accepted to a MSW program, I also feel angry and disappointed because this is the third time I am applying to U of T!  I was placed on the waitlist last year but this year I didn't even make to the waitlist.  I don't understand how some people with hideous moral standard and responsibility can get into the program so easily  ( Like the person who brags about how  he was accepted to by all universities in Toronto when he was 23 and  is now doing his MD) and I have tried so hard and so many times with no success. Sorry for listening my rants, my self confidence is totally destroyed today. I hope everyone else has better luck than me this year.

1 hour ago, lindaMSW said:

I just received the rejection letter from U of T 2 year program, I was crying the whole day and had to cancel tonight's V day dinner with my boyfriend. Anyway, I feel happy for those of you who get accepted to a MSW program, I also feel angry and disappointed because this is the third time I am applying to U of T!  I was placed on the waitlist last year but this year I didn't even make to the waitlist.  I don't understand how some people with hideous moral standard and responsibility can get into the program so easily  ( Like the person who brags about how  he was accepted to by all universities in Toronto when he was 23 and  is now doing his MD) and I have tried so hard and so many times with no success. Sorry for listening my rants, my self confidence is totally destroyed today. I hope everyone else has better luck than me this year.

I am truly sorry lindaMSW, this must be a very frustrating situation and you are definitely entitled to your rants. I feel your anger as well, but as we came to understand in the previous thread: the individual with hideous moral standards and responsibility is a liar and is probably exaggerating and did not get into all those universities. Please do not let that be part of the reason your confidence is shot. You are a valuable individual, and reading through previous year's, there are people who have had to try up to four times to get in. Take some time and process this, then maybe call the faculty and ask how you can improve for next year and work towards that. Sending you positivity and love through this tough situation.

2 hours ago, lindaMSW said:

I am sorry to hear about that lindaMSW. Please don't let this destroy your self-confidence, there are many factors out of your control that can affect the admissions decision. Your perseverance shows your dedication to the field and genuine desire to help others, and I think that says more about you than a silly letter. Keep your head held high, one day this will just be a story of courage to tell! 

keep your head up! the most important thing about this field is passion. The passion never dies and there is no timeline for it. Keep trying and your time will come

Hi lindaMSW, feeling disappointed is a natural reaction. Its definitely tough to deal with it. I know I'm just echoing everyone else, but passion will always find a way. And if you are passionate you will fulfill your career dreams. :) Its definitely a competitive program to get into, so don't feel discouraged or down. You will have other opportunities and more years! Many of the people I've spoken to who did their MSW did so in their mid-late 30s and even early 40s - so you have plenty of time. Keep trying and keep going! And don't let the fabricated success of one individual with questionable integrity make you feel discouraged. Get yourself a cupcake! Cry it out if you need to! And know you have supportive people around you who want you to succeed in what you are passionate about. 

On ‎2017‎/‎02‎/‎14 at 11:44 AM, Kate_14 said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that it seems Laurier has started to send out wait list offers. I received an email today asking if I would like to be put on a wait list for the advanced standing program! It's my top choice so I'm crossing my fingers that it will eventually lead to an acceptance.

Also, if anyone has past experience with the wait lists I would be interested in knowing when people heard back...the email says that the wait list will be closed on July 31st - does this mean that I won't hear back until then? Or is there a chance that I could hear back earlier? 

My understanding is that "the waitlist will be closed on July 31st" means that anyone still on the waitlist at that time will be removed (i.e., not accepted). There will be movement once people start turning down their acceptances!

I see you've applied to Waterloo as well - any idea when/how we'll hear back from them?

24 minutes ago, Bev_TO said:

Hi lindaMSW, feeling disappointed is a natural reaction. Its definitely tough to deal with it. I know I'm just echoing everyone else, but passion will always find a way. And if you are passionate you will fulfill your career dreams. :) Its definitely a competitive program to get into, so don't feel discouraged or down. You will have other opportunities and more years! Many of the people I've spoken to who did their MSW did so in their mid-late 30s and even early 40s - so you have plenty of time. Keep trying and keep going! And don't let the fabricated success of one individual with questionable integrity make you feel discouraged. Get yourself a cupcake! Cry it out if you need to! And know you have supportive people around you who want you to succeed in what you are passionate about. 

Preach! I needed to read this. Heads up that they also sent out rejection letters for Carleton 2 year program. I got my email yesterday saying I was unsuccessful. I'm disappointed but trying not to let it get me down. I plan on eating some Ben and Jerry's today (maybe the whole jar?) #selfcare

3 hours ago, lindaMSW said:

I am sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if I can add anything more to what others have said. It is very true though your passion and persistence will contribute to the incredible story you will tell. 

I was curious, did your SGS change to 'Decision made'. 

I know we sort of touched on this on the other forum, but hoping new members or others can provide any/new insight. 

Does anyone know why UofT offers so little funding to their MSW students versus schools like Ryerson (some get up to 15k) or York (granted smaller classes and work opportunities)? 

Also, are there opportunities available at UofT for MSWs to TA or be RAs? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Dry_Guy