Roxxx

NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, c.dizzle said:

For those who have been accepted into any MSW program, what was your GPA in your last 2 years? your GPA in your final year? and your relevant experience? 

Im just curious if certain schools lean more towards academics vs experience.

Cheers.

I'll be attending Western's 2-year MSW this September.  My GPA in my last two years was around an 81-82%.  I have about 2200 hours as a director at a residential summer camp for kids, supervising both kids and staff.  I worked in a youth detention centre for about 2300 hours and have around 500 hours working in group homes supporting people with developmental disabilities.  And when we had to submit applications, I had around 1000 hours working in residential care for children with complex mental health and/or developmental disabilities and their families.  I had very little research experience outside from the required research courses for my undergrad (I didn't do a thesis in my fourth year of undergrad and I only volunteered in a university lab for about 50 hours).

I've applied to Laurier and U of T in the past.  Laurier straight out of my undergrad with virtually no experience other than the supervisory position at camp and U of T the year after with not much more experience.  I was rejected at Laurie and waitlisted at U of T.  Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, alyosso said:

Does anyone know when Laurier will be sending out e-mails regarding your application's status?

I called today and the admissions voicemail says decisions for the 2 year should be out the last week of march or first week of april

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to congratulate everyone who has received acceptances so far. To those who are still waiting or need to try again new year, try not to feel discouraged. Just as when you are looking for a job, you often need to apply to many places (and even multiple times) before you get the YES you want to hear. If you want it badly enough, take this opportunity to find out the strengths and weaknesses of your application and come up with a plan to become a stronger applicant for next year.

Before all of the advanced standing applicants disappear from this thread, I wanted to ask a quick question (and others too). Where would you advise one to look for work in the field? Are there any vacancies where you are currently working? I need to get more work experience (I mostly have experience as a personal support worker and a couple of BSW practicums) and finding a job is tough. I'm very willing to relocate. If any one knows of places that hire often (companies or cities) or know of anywhere it's not too difficult to get a job, please let me know, I won't have my driver's license until the end of the summer, so jobs requiring home visits aren't really an option right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hopeful Andy said:

Thanks for the update about Windsor! Has anyone heard from Windsor yet? 

Nope, just checked mine and it still says application in process and no e-mails or anything. hopefully something by the end of this week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, thelionking said:

I wanted to congratulate everyone who has received acceptances so far. To those who are still waiting or need to try again new year, try not to feel discouraged. Just as when you are looking for a job, you often need to apply to many places (and even multiple times) before you get the YES you want to hear. If you want it badly enough, take this opportunity to find out the strengths and weaknesses of your application and come up with a plan to become a stronger applicant for next year.

Before all of the advanced standing applicants disappear from this thread, I wanted to ask a quick question (and others too). Where would you advise one to look for work in the field? Are there any vacancies where you are currently working? I need to get more work experience (I mostly have experience as a personal support worker and a couple of BSW practicums) and finding a job is tough. I'm very willing to relocate. If any one knows of places that hire often (companies or cities) or know of anywhere it's not too difficult to get a job, please let me know, I won't have my driver's license until the end of the summer, so jobs requiring home visits aren't really an option right now.

Try something like supportive housing supervisor or Day program supervisor or social worker in LTC .....your PSW experience and BSW degree is a perfect combination.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MSW&MD said:

Try something like supportive housing supervisor or Day program supervisor or social worker in LTC .....your PSW experience and BSW degree is a perfect combination.. 

I like the idea of LTC work. Do you know of any places that hire social workers? Most places I've come across only hire SSW's - unless I'm not looking at the right places!

I'm not sure what a supportive housing supervisor does... is it more like an administrative position or a like a developmental services worker job that requires you to give assistance to people when they need it (make sure they bathe, eat, wear clean clothes, leave on time for their appointments, etc..)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if anyone here has applied to UBC Okanagan campus' MSW 2 years program....

but has anyone heard back yet and if not does anyone know when they will be sending out acceptance emails?

Edited by Sarah1030

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sarah1030 said:

I don't know if anyone here has applied to UBC Okanagan campus' MSW 2 years program....

but has anyone heard back yet and if not does anyone know when they will be sending out acceptance emails?

 

Hey Sarah1030, I was accepted to the program on Feb 24 but I haven't really heard of anyone else applying so I'm not sure what their process/timeline is for sending out acceptances emails. I've spoken to the people in the college of grad studies a few times during the app process and they were great- you could alway try giving them a call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LaingerMAMSW said:

Hey Sarah1030, I was accepted to the program on Feb 24 but I haven't really heard of anyone else applying so I'm not sure what their process/timeline is for sending out acceptances emails. I've spoken to the people in the college of grad studies a few times during the app process and they were great- you could alway try giving them a call?

Thank you for your response. Can I ask when you applied for the program? I've got an email that said they started to review my application on Feb 17(I submitted my application at the end of January). Did you get the same email before you got acceptance letter?if so, how long did it take to get the acceptance letter after then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, moh230 said:

finally some good news! I got accepted to the University of Victoria for the post degree BSW. It's online, so hopefully, if nothing comes out of the 2 year MSW I can work full time and complete the 2 year program and then apply for the MSW!

Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sarah1030 said:

Thank you for your response. Can I ask when you applied for the program? I've got an email that said they started to review my application on Feb 17(I submitted my application at the end of January). Did you get the same email before you got acceptance letter?if so, how long did it take to get the acceptance letter after then?

 

No problem! I technically submitted my app (the required portions) at the beginning of January because I needed the reference requests sent out asap but I didn't submit my additional documentation (resume and statement) until the end of January. I received the same email as you on February 6 and was accepted three weeks after that initial email. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you/help out at all. I hope you get in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nidster said:

Just got an email for acceptance to York's 2 year MSW program!!!! :D

Congratulations!!! That's awesome news! Just now?? That makes me so nervous! Do they send out a couple of rounds of admissions or are they just doing it all at once? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Congratulations!!! That's awesome news! Just now?? That makes me so nervous! Do they send out a couple of rounds of admissions or are they just doing it all at once? 

Thank you :) I got the email a few hours ago, it says on MyFile that an official letter will come in the mail and that they will email me about funding soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-15 at 3:27 PM, Hopeful Andy said:

Thanks for the update about Windsor! Has anyone heard from Windsor yet? 

 

Hey Andy-my friend and I were accepted into Windsors advanced standing program February 13th-wasn't sure if you were just referring to the 2 year program though. I have definitively accepted their offer (due to location it's the only program I applied to) but my friends' ability to attend is still up in the air ☹️

Best of luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am assuming that York only does one round of acceptances, considering how few people they accept. But does anyone know for sure? Is there a possibility of a second round of admissions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I am assuming that York only does one round of acceptances, considering how few people they accept. But does anyone know for sure? Is there a possibility of a second round of admissions? 

Yes, York only does one round of acceptances unless someone declines his/her offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I am assuming that York only does one round of acceptances, considering how few people they accept. But does anyone know for sure? Is there a possibility of a second round of admissions? 

I would highly recommend calling them yourself to find out and not relying on what others on here say because we are not part of the committee who makes these decisions so we have no idea.  I know that Ryerson, like York, only accepts 40 students for advanced standing and they do rolling admissions, so it is possible that York has adopted this system as well.  Good luck and I hope that you hear back from them soon.

P.S.  I, along with some other classmates of mine, also applied to York and have yet to hear back from them, so you are not alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hopeful18 said:

I would highly recommend calling them yourself to find out and not relying on what others on here say because we are not part of the committee who makes these decisions so we have no idea.  I know that Ryerson, like York, only accepts 40 students for advanced standing and they do rolling admissions, so it is possible that York has adopted this system as well.  Good luck and I hope that you hear back from them soon.

P.S.  I, along with some other classmates of mine, also applied to York and have yet to hear back from them, so you are not alone.

It's good to hear that there are others in the same boat! Thank you for the advice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now