NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

34 minutes ago, moh230 said:

I checked the dates of when individuals heard back from U OF T last year. People started getting acceptances/declined literally this week of march from the 20th till the 25th. So maybe expect your rosi to change this week hopefully?

Is Rosi a UofT thing? I think I only have an sgs account... 

4 minutes ago, Keep calm said:

Is Rosi a UofT thing? I think I only have an sgs account... 

Yes Rosi is part of UOFT, most if not all advanced standing applicants that got accepted in the month of february had their ROSI changed to "invited" or something to that extent. If you do a google search of "Rosi Toronto" the first link should lead you to it. Click Log in to Rosi and follow the instructions on how to make an account and log in.

Note; At this exact moment, Rosi won't work as they are updating the system. try it out tommorow!

Edited by moh230

49 minutes ago, moh230 said:

Yes Rosi is part of UOFT, most if not all advanced standing applicants that got accepted in the month of february had their ROSI changed to "invited" or something to that extent. If you do a google search of "Rosi Toronto" the first link should lead you to it. Click Log in to Rosi and follow the instructions on how to make an account and log in.

Note; At this exact moment, Rosi won't work as they are updating the system. try it out tommorow!

I had no idea that people who didn't attend UofT for their undergrad could register for an account. Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. :) 

Hello! I've been scrolling through this feed for a while now - I applied to Laurier for their full-time program and the part-time program. The waiting has been brutal! 

I was wondering - I have some job interviews coming up this week. How do you suggest I share with these potential employers about how I'm waiting to hear about school...? 

One job is a 'real job' and the other is a summer seasonal job. If I am not accepted, I'd obviously want to take the full-time year-round, 'real job' offer! But, I don't want to accept that job only to leave before my contract is up. What would / have you done? 

Thanks! Happy waiting! 

I know not many of you applied to OISE for the Masters in Counselling Psychology, but just wanted to know if you had some insight. 

On the results section of GradCafe, 2 people received letters yesterday in the mail (1 for a rejection and 1 for a waitlist). Would this mean all acceptances have gone out already? I don't think its standard to waitlist people before all acceptances have gone out

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:42 AM, KarebearSW said:

I'm going in to the full time advanced standing and was wondering the same thing.  You are right about the part time program.  I was at the information session and they said 9 part time students were accepted last year, and they thought the number might be lower this year.

Hi KarebearSW, thanks for your reply. I thought I heard that to, but I was thinking that maybe I was mistaken. I wonder how the program is set up for part timers...and in terms of the enrollment for this year, they said lower than 9?? I wonder why that is... interesting.

3 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

I know not many of you applied to OISE for the Masters in Counselling Psychology, but just wanted to know if you had some insight. 

On the results section of GradCafe, 2 people received letters yesterday in the mail (1 for a rejection and 1 for a waitlist). Would this mean all acceptances have gone out already? I don't think its standard to waitlist people before all acceptances have gone out

I received an acceptance letter on March 10th (dated March 3rd). I wouldn't say for sure that all acceptances/waitlist notifications have gone out yet. Two years ago I received a waitlist letter in early April...

3 minutes ago, LondonFog said:

I received an acceptance letter on March 10th (dated March 3rd). I wouldn't say for sure that all acceptances/waitlist notifications have gone out yet. Two years ago I received a waitlist letter in early April...

Thanks for the reply. I agree on that I believe they haven't finished sending out all letters yet. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Ps everyone ROSI is down past 1 (says "unavailable until further notice")

15 hours ago, Shelby0314 said:

My GPA is not that high at all, like 3.3 maybe,  but I have a lot of work and volunteer experience and I was a research assistant in my third year. But I came straight to university after college, completed 5 years of university (BSW and crim degree) and got accepted to Western's advanced standing MSW program! It depends what the school is looking for, it's definitely not all based on GPA!

Good luck to you! Where have you applied?

Thanks for sharing! I hope it's not based on GPA completely either. :/ 

I applied to UofT, Laurier, and York. I didn't get accepted to York but still waiting on the other two!

4 hours ago, Inspired2017 said:

Hi KarebearSW, thanks for your reply. I thought I heard that to, but I was thinking that maybe I was mistaken. I wonder how the program is set up for part timers...and in terms of the enrollment for this year, they said lower than 9?? I wonder why that is... interesting.

Initially, I was going to apply for the part time program...thought my chances of getting in might be better.  But when they mentioned that only 9 were accepted last year and it would likely be even less this year, I very quickly changed my mind and decided to apply for full time (lol).  I also wonder how the part time program is set up and why so few are accepted.  I am also still curious to know how many full timers were accepted this year, and how many into each stream.  Did you mention previously that you were going into the "Children and Families" stream?

20 hours ago, mcvhb said:

Hello! I've been scrolling through this feed for a while now - I applied to Laurier for their full-time program and the part-time program. The waiting has been brutal! 

I was wondering - I have some job interviews coming up this week. How do you suggest I share with these potential employers about how I'm waiting to hear about school...? 

One job is a 'real job' and the other is a summer seasonal job. If I am not accepted, I'd obviously want to take the full-time year-round, 'real job' offer! But, I don't want to accept that job only to leave before my contract is up. What would / have you done? 

Thanks! Happy waiting! 

I'd suggest not mentioning the schooling at all unless they ask you directly, which probably isn't likely; hopefully you'll hear back from Laurier before you hear from the potential employer.

If you receive a job offer, advise them you'll let them know within 24 hours as you have a couple offers to consider. At that point I'd call the school, advise them of the situation, ask if they can give you any updates. If not, try and get a decision timeline from them, and share that info with the potential employer.

Good luck and all the best! Hope everyone's waiting ends soon with a positive outcome ?

On 3/21/2017 at 1:46 AM, mcvhb said:

Thanks! Happy waiting! 

I believe an important thing to consider is if you want to use these places as a reference in the future. I believe not disclosing your application to the summer seasonal job is acceptable since that is a temporary job. However the "real job" might have a problem if you applied to schools, were waiting to hear back, yet did not disclose this to them during the interview stage. I think it is definitely in your right to not tell them (I do not think I would, personally), but if you think that once you get in and you tell them that you will be leaving to pursue school would upset and strain your relationship with them, then it might be best to be upfront with them -- especially if you hope to use them as a reference in the future. However, totally your call and you are the best person to feel out the situation! Trust your gut. Just wanted to throw my two cents out there about the reference situation in case that is relevant to you.

4 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

It's kind of nice having ROSI still down. Calms the nerves a bit....haha

Really?!? I feel the opposite. I feel like the site is down and my admission status has already been changed but I just can't see it hahahaha

25 minutes ago, canadianmsw said:

Really?!? I feel the opposite. I feel like the site is down and my admission status has already been changed but I just can't see it hahahaha

When it's up and running i'm constantly checking it throughout the day. Knowing it's not up kind of has me focused more at work (LOL).