NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

On 2017-03-21 at 1:46 AM, mcvhb said:

Hello! I've been scrolling through this feed for a while now - I applied to Laurier for their full-time program and the part-time program. The waiting has been brutal! 

I was wondering - I have some job interviews coming up this week. How do you suggest I share with these potential employers about how I'm waiting to hear about school...? 

One job is a 'real job' and the other is a summer seasonal job. If I am not accepted, I'd obviously want to take the full-time year-round, 'real job' offer! But, I don't want to accept that job only to leave before my contract is up. What would / have you done? 

Thanks! Happy waiting! 

I am in the exact same boat!!! I've already had a few interviews.

It's so stressful - but I haven't mentioned anything about school yet.

If you do get the positions, you can always ask them when you need to accept by ? Which can buy you more time to *hopefully* get accepted into your masters!

Good luck :)

2 hours ago, MSW2MD said:

My student just received her conditional offer from U of T 2 year MSW this morning !! Good luck to all applicants !!! :) 

Yeah no, I'm calling BS on this. 

Mail in Toronto isn't delivered in the morning. And I live in Toronto, and I didn't get anything in the mail yesterday either, unless they sent out waves of rejections, acceptances, or wait-lists separately. Then it could be possible. 

My mail comes around noon-1pm. I'll check when I get home this evening. He's probably just trolling us. 

8 minutes ago, sososocialwork said:

Mail in Toronto isn't delivered in the morning. And I live in Toronto, and I didn't get anything in the mail yesterday either, unless they sent out waves of rejections, acceptances, or wait-lists separately. Then it could be possible. 

My mail comes around noon-1pm. I'll check when I get home this evening. He's probably just trolling us. 

LOL. yea, i didn't get anything either. @MSW2MD can you stop being an inconvenience. LOL you're annoying 

16 minutes ago, sososocialwork said:

I highly doubt any of us keeners on here didn't receive anything, and his "co-worker" did. However, UofT did send out 3 waves of acceptances last year (from what I remember).

And if she received it today, her ROSI must have updated about a week ago. Which does not make sense.  

How's everyone's day going so far?

Kinda a relief ROSI is down, means there's absolutely nothing we can do about it and I haven't been checking it obsessively. I was accepted to a one-year post-degree BSW program that's outside of Toronto, so I'm happy that I at least have a back-up plan if I don't get into U of T.

Hoping everyone has a great day :)

4 minutes ago, sososocialwork said:

How's everyone's day going so far?

Kinda a relief ROSI is down, means there's absolutely nothing we can do about it and I haven't been checking it obsessively. I was accepted to a one-year post-degree BSW program that's outside of Toronto, so I'm happy that I at least have a back-up plan if I don't get into U of T.

Hoping everyone has a great day :)

Ohhh, congrats! Is that the Lakehead HBSW that you're referring to? How were you notified? 

Thanks for the update.

7 minutes ago, PregnantSeahorse said:

Ohhh, congrats! Is that the Lakehead HBSW that you're referring to? How were you notified? 

Thanks for the update.

Thanks so much! It's at the University of Waterloo, I was notified by e-mail. I didn't apply to Lakehead though. 

Just popping back in to ask everyone to calm down, relax, and ignore anyone who is posting things you disagree with or find offensive. If you're not familiar with it, this board has a quite useful "Ignore User" function, so you don't even have to see content from someone, if you'd rather not. Please do that instead of generating multiple reports and starting fights on the board. I'd hate to have to lock this thread, too. 

okay the mixed info really messed me up a little bit.. if UofT is supposed to send out their responses this week, when should we expect to receive the mail? 

At this point, I'm pretty much ready for any type of news. I know that a rejection only means that all the people who are getting accepted are a lot more qualified than me, and that i should work even harder towards my goals. But not knowing is really killing me... 

9 minutes ago, Keep calm said:

okay the mixed info really messed me up a little bit.. if UofT is supposed to send out their responses this week, when should we expect to receive the mail? 

At this point, I'm pretty much ready for any type of news. I know that a rejection only means that all the people who are getting accepted are a lot more qualified than me, and that i should work even harder towards my goals. But not knowing is really killing me... 

No news is good news. The order goes Rejection letters- Acceptance package- Second wave Acceptance package -  Wait List notice -  Off wait List Notice.... 

7 minutes ago, MSW2MD said:

No news is good news. The order goes Rejection letters- Acceptance package- Second wave Acceptance package -  Wait List notice -  Off wait List Notice.... 

Thank you for letting me know. I really appreciate it. :) 

Does anyone know how it works with Laurier - rejection or acceptance - based on last years forum?

Do we find out by mail first, does it show up on our LORIS, etc?

At least UofT's SGS Admissions website makes you aware of whether your application is still under review or if there's been a decision made, but LORIS doesn't seem as advanced.

30 minutes ago, vanessamarie said:

Does anyone know how it works with Laurier - rejection or acceptance - based on last years forum?

Do we find out by mail first, does it show up on our LORIS, etc?

I'd like to know this too! :) Like really, should I be checking my email, LORIS, or mailbox? Not like I don't check each one every day already... haha 

So I was placed second on the waitlist for the advanced MSW at UVIC. I was wondering if anyone had declined their offer. I was told that 165 people applied and that they admitted 18. What has the waitlisting been like for others?

3 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

Just popping back in to ask everyone to calm down, relax, and ignore anyone who is posting things you disagree with or find offensive. If you're not familiar with it, this board has a quite useful "Ignore User" function, so you don't even have to see content from someone, if you'd rather not. Please do that instead of generating multiple reports and starting fights on the board. I'd hate to have to lock this thread, too. 

It is one thing to ignore, which is what I suggest we all do, however it is completely another thing to allow a person to create multiple user accounts and use multiple names to purposely come onto this site for the sole purpose to spread false information.  People who are going through the Grad school process are under enough stress as it is without having to have their hopes dashed and/or bolstered by a person who continuously spreads lies on here.  When does Yewang/MSW2MD/MSW&MD's behviour start to cross the line and when does he become accountable for it?  What happens next cycle when he engages in this behaviour and once again plays with other members emotions?  This is not right nor should it be tolerated.

1 hour ago, Hopeful18 said:

It is one thing to ignore, which is what I suggest we all do, however it is completely another thing to allow a person to create multiple user accounts and use multiple names to purposely come onto this site for the sole purpose to spread false information.  People who are going through the Grad school process are under enough stress as it is without having to have their hopes dashed and/or bolstered by a person who continuously spreads lies on here.  When does Yewang/MSW2MD/MSW&MD's behviour start to cross the line and when does he become accountable for it?  What happens next cycle when he engages in this behaviour and once again plays with other members emotions?  This is not right nor should it be tolerated.

Here's the thing. I don't know how we're supposed to verify whether or not this poster is telling lies when we're talking about acceptance notifications; we don't know if they are all sent at the same time and the fact that someone -- or even everyone -- here hasn't received any emails tells us nothing about the veracity of this claim. If you can show us actual proof that that's happening, as opposed to reporting accusations that aren't backed up by any evidence we can check, then we can talk again. (Tagging @rising_star@Eigen, and @TakeruK here, for good measure; I'm about to go off the grid for a bit and I don't want this discussion to get lost.)

29 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Here's the thing. I don't know how we're supposed to verify whether or not this poster is telling lies when we're talking about acceptance notifications; we don't know if they are all sent at the same time and the fact that someone -- or even everyone -- here hasn't received any emails tells us nothing about the veracity of this claim. If you can show us actual proof that that's happening, as opposed to reporting accusations that aren't backed up by any evidence we can check, then we can talk again. (Tagging @rising_star@Eigen, and @TakeruK here, for good measure; I'm about to go off the grid for a bit and I don't want this discussion to get lost.)

First I want to preface by saying that I don't envy your position as an admin, and perhaps your hands are tied in regard to what action you are able/willing to take and I do respect the time and effort you and your team put in. 

As far as the lies that YEWANG/MSW&MD/MSW2MD has engaged in, I am not just speaking upon his claims for today.  If you go back through his postings, not limited to just this cycle and including the thread that the admins. closed down you will find all kinds of discrepancies, some of which were even pointed out and called out, on the closed down thread.

In any case, for myself, the important part is ensuring that others are not duped by this member and that there is now a written record of what has occurred so that new members and those in the upcoming future cycles will now have ample warning and will be able to make informed decisions.

Edited by Hopeful18

Has anyone tried using their U of T Join ID to log into ACORN? If you recall, all applicants were sent an email in early December with your JOIN ID. 

ACORN is up and running and perhaps can provide some info if you are able to log in.

This is a public forum that anyone is invited to part take in. As prospective master's level students, everyone on this forum should research any information they receive or fact check before making any important career or vocational decisions based on information shared on the internet. If anyone is unable or unwilling to do so, I would question their ability to succeed in graduate level programs which call upon students to research, fact check and ensure that their sources are reliable when completing all research and assignments.

Errors can happen on the forum - either accidentally or intentionally. This is not a peer reviewed journal. The onus is on everyone to make sure what they are reading is valid and reliable. I think the professional thing to do is to privately PM anyone you would like to speak to about issues that are unrelated to the main topic of conversation. Putting someone on the spot publicly can lead to embarrassment and defensiveness which make it rather difficult to create a dialogue that is open and honest with another person that you are experiencing difficulties with. Some food for thought....

I hope that anyone who has more to say on this issue will have the courage and assertiveness to privately and directly address the situation with the person(s) involved while respecting the main purpose of this thread.

I wish everyone the best of luck as you await final decisions and congrats to all who have been admitted! 

Edited by thelionking