NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

11 minutes ago, thelionking said:

This is a public forum that anyone is invited to part take in. As prospective master's level students, everyone on this forum should research any information they receive or fact check before making any important career or vocational decisions based on information shared on the internet. If anyone is unable or unwilling to do so, I would question their ability to succeed in graduate level programs which call upon students to research, fact check and ensure that their sources are reliable when completing all research and assignments.

Errors can happen on the forum - either accidentally or intentionally. This is not a peer reviewed journal. The onus is on everyone to make sure what they are reading is valid and reliable. I think the professional thing to do is to privately PM anyone you would like to speak to about issues that are unrelated to the main topic of conversation. Putting someone on the spot publicly can lead to embarrassment and defensiveness which make it rather difficult to create a dialogue that is open and honest with another person that you are experiencing difficulties with. Some food for thought....

I hope that anyone who has more to say on this issue will have the courage and assertiveness to privately and directly address the situation with the person(s) involved while respecting the main purpose of this thread.

I wish everyone the best of luck as you await final decisions and congrats to all who have been admitted! 

Well said and thank you! If anyone had personal clashes with MSW2MD, please deal it privately! This thread is meant to be used for MSW discussion, not a place where you hold a personal grudge against someone. I don't want to see this thread gets locked again!! 

48 minutes ago, thelionking said:

This is a public forum that anyone is invited to part take in. As prospective master's level students, everyone on this forum should research any information they receive or fact check before making any important career or vocational decisions based on information shared on the internet. If anyone is unable or unwilling to do so, I would question their ability to succeed in graduate level programs which call upon students to research, fact check and ensure that their sources are reliable when completing all research and assignments.

Errors can happen on the forum - either accidentally or intentionally. This is not a peer reviewed journal. The onus is on everyone to make sure what they are reading is valid and reliable. I think the professional thing to do is to privately PM anyone you would like to speak to about issues that are unrelated to the main topic of conversation. Putting someone on the spot publicly can lead to embarrassment and defensiveness which make it rather difficult to create a dialogue that is open and honest with another person that you are experiencing difficulties with. Some food for thought....

I hope that anyone who has more to say on this issue will have the courage and assertiveness to privately and directly address the situation with the person(s) involved while respecting the main purpose of this thread.

I wish everyone the best of luck as you await final decisions and congrats to all who have been admitted! 

This is a fascinating study in how victim blaming and protecting the "abuser" culture plays out.

27 minutes ago, lindaMSW said:

Well said and thank you! If anyone had personal clashes with MSW2MD, please deal it privately! This thread is meant to be used for MSW discussion, not a place where you hold a personal grudge against someone. I don't want to see this thread gets locked again!! 

This is about calling out harmful behaviour that negatively harms this community and has nothing to do with personal grudges.  If this thread gets locked the onus is not on those who were brave enough to speak out.

1 hour ago, Inspired2017 said:

Has anyone tried using their U of T Join ID to log into ACORN? If you recall, all applicants were sent an email in early December with your JOIN ID. 

ACORN is up and running and perhaps can provide some info if you are able to log in.

That's a good idea! 

9 hours ago, Hopeful18 said:

This is a fascinating study in how victim blaming and protecting the "abuser" culture plays out.

I'll keep this brief and please feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue the discussion. I am not blaming any victims. As future social workers, you will deal with all kinds of people and some will disrespect you, insult you, abuse you verbally and maybe physically too, etc...  Sometimes that is a part of the job as you will work with all walks of people dealing with all kinds of problems. You will need to learn how to diffuse this kind of behaviour and as a professional cannot call someone names, insult or put them down, even if you are angry and would really like to do that in the moment. The fact is, if someone treats you that way they are probably suffering inside if they want to hurt other people.

My intention was not to victim blame and I apologize if this is the message you got. As a human being, your gut reaction might be to react in this way. If you were a social work student being supervised in a practicum and someone you worked with was being deceitful or dishonest, I am doubtful that your supervisor would suggest publicly calling out your client in front of a roomful of people by calling them names and discussing rules and boundaries with the client. Unless there is an element of personal danger involved, I think the respectful and professional thing to do is to talk to the person privately (even if you think the client doesn't deserve to be treated with respect) so that they are made aware of their unacceptable behaviour and have the opportunity to correct it. I also believe that this approach will increase your chances of successfully resolving the problem and positively influencing their behaviour in ways that are more socially acceptable. That is my opinion on the matter. But you are of free will and can choose to do as you wish.

Edited by thelionking

7 hours ago, thelionking said:

I'll keep this brief and please feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue the discussion. I am not blaming any victims. As future social workers, you will deal with all kinds of people and some will disrespect you, insult you, abuse you verbally and maybe physically too, etc...  Sometimes that is a part of the job as you will work with all walks of people dealing with all kinds of problems. You will need to learn how to diffuse this kind of behaviour and as a professional cannot call someone names, insult or put them down, even if you are angry and would really like to do that in the moment. The fact is, if someone treats you that way they are probably suffering inside if they want to hurt other people.

My intention was not to victim blame and I apologize if this is the message you got. As a human being, your gut reaction might be to react in this way. If you were a social work student being supervised in a practicum and someone you worked with was being deceitful or dishonest, I am doubtful that your supervisor would suggest publicly calling out your client in front of a roomful of people by calling them names and discussing rules and boundaries with the client. Unless there is an element of personal danger involved, I think the respectful and professional thing to do is to talk to the person privately (even if you think the client doesn't deserve to be treated with respect) so that they are made aware of their unacceptable behaviour and have the opportunity to correct it. I also believe that this approach will increase your chances of successfully resolving the problem and positively influencing their behaviour in ways that are more socially acceptable. That is my opinion on the matter. But you are of free will and can choose to do as you wish.

1.  Please copy and paste where I have called YWEANG/MSW&MDMSW2MD names, insulted him or put him down. 

2.  Please don't assume I am not already working in the field, don't have extensive knowledge of working with participants and do not know how to diffuse difficult situations.

3.  This is a forum of our peers and its very nature is open discussion, therefore confronting harmful behaviour that hurts current and future members of this group is appropriate.

4.  Transparency, honesty and integrity are values that, for me, are important which is why I have chosen to shine a light on what has happened in this forum and refuse to PM yourself or others when discussing issues that are pertinent to the cohesion of this group and safety of its members.

10 minutes ago, c.dizzle said:

my friends who are currently in the 2 year program told me they got accepted April 1st. I hope they werent joking lol, even if it is april fools day. 

Fingers and toes crossed that we will find out next week then!

37 minutes ago, c.dizzle said:

my friends who are currently in the 2 year program told me they got accepted April 1st. I hope they werent joking lol, even if it is april fools day. 

I also know 2 people who graduated from the program last year and they received their acceptance letters on April 1st. :) 

12 hours ago, thelionking said:

I agree with you to an extent, however as a public forum it will be difficult for future readers to know that someone may have intentionally released inaccurate information. I think skepticism is healthy, and as long as it is constructive and not attacking an individual it should be understood as part of the conversation about admissions. None the less, no one is attacking anyone, but I think we are divesting again from the topic which is what got the last thread locked. As the mods suggesting, ignoring the user is one method moving forward and I suggest another: let us, in our little thread community, fully utilize the downvote option versus calling out individuals we disagree with from here on out. Should future readers wish to do their own research to validate claims, they will be able to use the amount of +/- on a comment, as well as past conversations, to make their own conclusions. Hopefully this will satisfy mods and readers who do not want to stray further. 

We are almost at the end here folks, let's get through this admissions cycle together. 

12 hours ago, Inspired2017 said:

Has anyone tried using their U of T Join ID to log into ACORN? If you recall, all applicants were sent an email in early December with your JOIN ID. 

ACORN is up and running and perhaps can provide some info if you are able to log in.

I have tried it, but it doesn't show any information on the admissions

5 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I'm starting to get frustrated that ROSI is still unavailable! Terrible timing!

another person got offered admission on the results page. says "conditional admission". Not sure if YWEANG or....lol :/ thats the 2nd offer today.

i was happy ROSI was down yesterday. today it is starting to frustrate me. 

6 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

also. ROSI site says.........

UPDATE: Emergency maintenance on ROSI is expected to be complete and service restored on Tuesday, March 28th at 8:00 AM.

I just saw that too..

I'm completely speechless...-_-

26 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

also. ROSI site says.........

UPDATE: Emergency maintenance on ROSI is expected to be complete and service restored on Tuesday, March 28th at 8:00 AM.

I'm almost convinced they're doing it on purpose just to mess with all of us at this point LOL

3 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

uggghhhhhhh. the mail usually comes like a week after ROSI updates anyways. this is gonna suck

Has anyone called Angela by chance to check whether any offers for 2-year have gone out?

Edited by Bev_TO

6 minutes ago, Bev_TO said:

Has anyone called Angela by chance to check whether any offers for 2-year have gone out?

No, but according to the results section on the forum, 2 people have received offers. She'd be the best source of info though

1 minute ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

No, but according to the results section on the forum, 2 people have received offers. She'd be the best source of info though

Yes, she would definitely be the most trusted source for info. I just have a fear of being annoying.

4 minutes ago, Bev_TO said:

Yes, she would definitely be the most trusted source for info. I just have a fear of being annoying.

as the admissions admin coordinator for a grad program, part of her job is to deal with annoying questions (LOL). 

4 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

another person got offered admission on the results page. says "conditional admission". Not sure if YWEANG or....lol :/ thats the 2nd offer today.

i was happy ROSI was down yesterday. today it is starting to frustrate me. 

could you please link the results board? im not sure where to find this - super new to this forum stuff