NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

8 minutes ago, moh230 said:

Man, i hope they have more than one round :/. My last name starts with an H. Hopefully something will come up before the weekend.

i really hope so too... but my last name start with an A so im kind of losing hope right now. 

...ANYWAY.

Heartfelt congratulations to everyone who heard back from U of T today, it's so exciting and you are all so deserving.

For those whose anxiety is through the roof right now and may have had an emotional night after finding out others have received acceptances, please don't lose hope and please remember to be kind to yourself. This is a long, drawn out, crappy process for everyone and hopefully you get in during the next rounds, but regardless,  this experience DOES  NOT define you or your worth. Remember to keep swimming <3 you'll get where you need to be.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! No acceptance for me quite yet... 

Between things going on in my personal life and these rejections, I am having a really tough time keeping my chin up right now. Hopefully I get some good news/clarity soon. 

1 minute ago, nicoleMSW said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! No acceptance for me quite yet... 

Between things going on in my personal life and these rejections, I am having a really tough time keeping my chin up right now. Hopefully I get some good news/clarity soon. 

I know how you feel, I am in the same boat as you. I know the feeling of everything going bad all at the same time, try to get your mind off of it and think about the positives in your life or watch some funny videos on youtube, that always puts me in a good mood even for a while! everything will work out eventually , it always does :)

6 minutes ago, MSW2MD said:

You are  intentionally causing additional stress to people who are still waiting to hear back!! The round is not over until April 15th!! Be patient people!! Your offer will arrive soon!!

By telling people to not lose hope and saying hopefully they get in soon? I'm literally evil, I'm just grateful someone as perceptive and intelligent as yourself was able to point it out.

50 minutes ago, Keep calm said:

Mine says nothing, and I want to call Angela in the morning to ask if this is it. 

I'm just too afraid of the answer being yes... 

please update us when ever you get the change and let us know if there are more than one round of acceptance :/

Yay!!  This is so exciting.  I was accepted into the advanced standing program last month and I feel the same sense of excitement for all you 2 year program students that have just been accepted.  I cannot believe how anxiety provoking this whole process has been.  To those that are still waiting, do not give up hope.  I have a couple of friends that received their acceptance letters on April 1st last year.  For those who do not get accepted, please do not give up.  i applied to the MSW program 20 years ago and did not get accepted....and then life happened over the next 20 years.  Don't wait for life to happen.  Please apply again next year....don't give up.  Take a break and regroup first before you even think about going through this process again though.  I wish everyone all the very best!!!  I have appreciated the support on this group.....thank you.

7 hours ago, canadianmsw said:

No way!!! I got into Toronto for the 2 year program too! So pumped!!

Last name starts with M

Good luck everyone :)

5 hours ago, agawes said:

Finally had a chance to check my ACORN and it also says "Invited". My last name starts with W.

Hope this is it.

Good luck to everyone!

I was also accepted via ACORN!! Former UofT student, and my last name starts with "C". Quoting former posters who go in for good measure (so that current and future posters do not have to keep scrolling backwards to find this information). CONGRATULATIONS FUTURE PEERS, AND GOOD LUCK THOSE STILL WAITING!!

Edit: oops I guess it won't let me tag more than two posters..

Edited by tnt92

8 hours ago, MSW2MD said:

Seems those accusations are cleared....lol

Maybe, unclear. But your behavior today isn't helping anything.

Friends, no need to create new reports. We are aware of this situation and are taking care of it.

Congratulations to those who got accepted and good luck to those still waiting. 

11 hours ago, rosee12 said:

Hi, wondering if I can get some feedback about this. I checked my mail today and didn't get anything. However, when I signed in on acorn just now (I'm a past uoft student which is why I can log on), it says "invited" to "sw msw 2 2017-2018 fall/winter" under the Degree Registration Status. My sgs account still says "under review". I'm hoping this means I'm accepted and hopefully not a mistake (or illusion haha)?? *knock on wood*.

10 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

AHHHhh. just logged onto ACORN (I am not a former UOFT student), and it says I'm invited to the 2017/2018 2 year MSW program!!

Just quoting to keep track for everyone accepted in this first round! I hope I didn't miss anyone (including my above post!)

Edited by tnt92
AHH.. missed Kiki14 but don't want to spam the thread.. she also got in lol

16 minutes ago, c.dizzle said:

congratulations to all that got in!! 

out of curiosity, how many accepted to the 2 year msw were waitlisted last year?

I was waitlisted last year. I was applying while finishing my undergrad, and had 0 to no research experience (besides my thesis which was not even complete at the time). 

Whenever someone gets their admissions letter for this round, can you let me know when the deadline to pay and reserve your spot in the program is? I'm not currently living at home, and my Dad is selfishly going on vacation for a month in the Caribbean. How dare he in my time of need! (Sarcasm). 

8 hours ago, moh230 said:

I know how you feel, I am in the same boat as you. I know the feeling of everything going bad all at the same time, try to get your mind off of it and think about the positives in your life or watch some funny videos on youtube, that always puts me in a good mood even for a while! everything will work out eventually , it always does :)

Yeah believe it or not I actually forgot all about admissions for a while because of other stuff going on! I feel very lost right now, and not knowing about u of t isn't helping! I have a job interview Monday and I was hoping I would know what to tell them about school. Ugh. 

12 minutes ago, Ed07ti said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. Can you share your past experiences and grades?

I was waitlisted last year at u of t and I am sort of confused as to why this keeps happening to me. I asked Angela last year for feedback but they are always reluctant to help.

copying and pasting my experience from the previous MSW thread that was blocked... 

I have my Honours BSc in Psychology. My GPA in my last year was 3.9. I got an A in research methods, and an A+ on my honours thesis. 
I currently work as a research assistant at a chronic pain clinic, but aside from our own research, we also take on clinical trials in various areas (nicotine dependence, asthma, diabetes, etc). Before this position, which I started in April, I spent 5 years working at a retirement home, as a front desk concierge. Prior to this, I was a camp counselor for 2 years. 

I have volunteer experience at:

• Bellwood Health Services (500 hours) - presently volunteer here
    • this is my most substantial experience in terms of volunteering, as it is an addiction and rehabilitation facility not only for substance use and alcoholism but for eating disorders, sex addiction and gambling addiction, allowing me to experience addiction in a multi-faceted lens. I hope to be able to get my MSW and use it to practice addiction counselling in minority populations.
  • Canadian Mental Health Association (350 hours)
  • Toronto General Hospital - eating disorder outpatient clinic (75 hours)
  • Pride Toronto (12 hours)
  • Town of Richmond Hill (300 hours)

I have practicum experience from my undergrad (about 84 hours), where I was partnered with a child with a DSM-5 diagnosis in a classroom setting, to provide peer mentoring and assistance with school-related activities. 

3 hours ago, tnt92 said:

I was also accepted via ACORN!! Former UofT student, and my last name starts with "C". Quoting former posters who go in for good measure (so that current and future posters do not have to keep scrolling backwards to find this information). CONGRATULATIONS FUTURE PEERS, AND GOOD LUCK THOSE STILL WAITING!!

Edit: oops I guess it won't let me tag more than two posters..

Hey congrats on getting in!!!!! :D

48 minutes ago, Ed07ti said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. Can you share your past experiences and grades?

I was waitlisted last year at u of t and I am sort of confused as to why this keeps happening to me. I asked Angela last year for feedback but they are always reluctant to help.

I was wait-listed last year as well and my ACORN doesn't say anything either. Don't lose hope, they might send out another round of acceptances in the coming weeks. From what I remember for the past few years, there are two waves of acceptances and then there's the (slim) chance of getting off the wait list. We didn't make the first wave. So there's another round of acceptances and it's still possible. Maybe @wishingonuoft can clarify?

9 minutes ago, sososocialwork said:

I was wait-listed last year as well and my ACORN doesn't say anything either. Don't lose hope, they might send out another round of acceptances in the coming weeks. From what I remember for the past few years, there are two waves of acceptances and then there's the (slim) chance of getting off the wait list. We didn't make the first wave. So there's another round of acceptances and it's still possible. Maybe @wishingonuoft can clarify?

Totally still possible! Most of my friends got into the program some time in April and it seems like the majority last year did as well--also, remember that Angela said acceptances will all be sent out by the end of April. Unless they've revamped their system you guys are all still in the game!

1 hour ago, Ed07ti said:

Grades: Last two years I had one B+, 3 A+ and the rest of A's. I had an A in Research Methods. 

Experience: Two full years of part-time work studies in student engagement, 3 years of sitting on a provincial mental health youth focused board (through this experience I got to plan and attend many conferences, create policy documents, plan workshops on youth engagement etc), 1 year of volunteering with a youth sexual health organization, 1 funded summer international internship through my university's international office, a summer research internship at a youth non profit org, 1 year of residence programming, 1 year of sitting on a government related board as a youth, participant of my undergraduate research fair and some other things here and there. Sounds like alot but I was lucky to get a really good opportunity that led to other things. If people want to know where I find good opportunities or what specific organizations I was involved with message me!