NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

I am a two year applicant so I know there's probably a few weeks left before I hear anything... but just hearing about all of your results is SO encouraging, it's finally starting!! Congrats everyone!! And to those who haven't heard anything yet... Although this is my first time applying so I don't know first hand, I have heard there are waves of admissions for both one and two year programs, so don't lose hope! There's still time :) 

Congratulations to people who are accepted into U of T !!! I didn't make it this year but I still feel very happy for you wonderful people who have made it!!! But  I am still bothered by the fact that some crooks with corrupt mind got into MSW program so easily and use it as a steppingstone to get into  medical schools; yet many of us who  are genuinely dedicated in helping people don't even get a chance...... I just feel angry and disappointed with the educational system. 

Edited by lindaMSW

2 hours ago, jaylynn said:

Congrats to everyone who got in! 

Looks like I'm probably waitlisted. 

Two things: 

- Does UofT send all acceptances at once or is there a second wave? 

- Any insight into the Windsor advanced standing program? If it starts in May are you there all summer? 

Hey Jaylynn-I know Windsors advanced standing program begins in May.  From May thru to end of August, students are in class generally one day a week-the odd time it may be necessary to attend twice a week.  From September to December classes run 3 days a week.  Final term (Jan-May) you have placement 4 days a week, and this can be done back in your home city.

I was accepted into Windsors advanced standing program on feb 13, my friend was accepted feb 14 but I know some acceptances and rejections were sent out 5 days before I heard.

good luck to all waiting to hear back-hope the waiting game is over soon  for you guys! Wishing success to all on their social work journey, with or without an acceptance this year!

anyone else accepted an offer from Windsors advanced standing program or waiting to hear from them?

6 minutes ago, lindaMSW said:

Congratulations to people who are accepted into U of T !!! I didn't make it this year but I still feel very happy for you wonderful people who have made it!!! But  I am still bothered by the fact that some crooks with corrupt mind got into MSW program so easily and use it as a steppingstone to get into  medical schools; yet many of us who  are genuinely dedicated in helping people don't even get a chance...... I just feel angry and disappointed with the educational system. 

Focus on your social work journey in the year ahead Linda. Who knows what situations, opportunities or experiences are waiting for you, that may significantly impact where you want to do your masters, what your focus area of study should be, etc etc. I believe the universe has impeccable timing in having things line up for us the way it should.

It maybe helpful to ask U of T for feedback on your application, consider applying to different schools next year, consider your reference choices carefully and if your GPA is a concern for you, consider writing your GRE test (graduate records examination test) this is a way to demonstrate academic aptitude separate from your gpa/university transcripts.

Hope this helps.  Take care and all the best.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten admission offers, you all deserve it, I hope you take some time out for a much deserved celebration!!!

I just wanted to write a shout out to anyone who has  applied to programs that have started sending out admissions and haven't heard any response yet. Reading other people's triumphs--as wonderful as it is for them--can make one feel pretty crappy and discouraged. Just wanted to remind any of you out there feeling anxious, shedding tears, feeling low, that you that you are wonderful, there is still hope, and you'll be okay no matter what. You've survived every challenge so far! I'm rooting for you, and I hope you hear good news soon! :)

Congratulations to everyone who heard good news today! It must be so exciting to know what comes next on your social work journey! I didn't make it in this year either, unless they do a second round of admissions of advanced standing (this is my third time applying to UofT specifically). I am aware they do three rounds of admission for the 2-year program, but I am not 100% about whether they do one or two rounds for the advanced standing because they accept less then the 2-year program and also much less also apply. Good luck to everyone, especially those still waiting to hear back from schools! 

42 minutes ago, wishingonuoft said:

Congrats to everyone who has gotten admission offers, you all deserve it, I hope you take some time out for a much deserved celebration!!!

I just wanted to write a shout out to anyone who has  applied to programs that have started sending out admissions and haven't heard any response yet. Reading other people's triumphs--as wonderful as it is for them--can make one feel pretty crappy and discouraged. Just wanted to remind any of you out there feeling anxious, shedding tears, feeling low, that you that you are wonderful, there is still hope, and you'll be okay no matter what. You've survived every challenge so far! I'm rooting for you, and I hope you hear good news soon! :)

You are a wonderful soul! It was pretty hard to see I didn't get accepted today, and it led to a roller coaster day of tears, panic and anxiety. Thanks for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated! 

Congrats to everyone who saw on ROSI they were accepted to UofT. 

Few questions: Did your SGS account change to decision made or does it still say under review? 

Do your last names begin with a letter in the first half of the alphabet (A to M). 

What are second round admission waves? 

2 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

Few questions: Did your SGS account change to decision made or does it still say under review? 

Do your last names begin with a letter in the first half of the alphabet (A to M). 

Hi Dry_Guy, 

SGS still says 'UNDER REVIEW'

My last name starts with 'L'

Second round admissions i believe are supposed to be the 2nd group of admission offers. I'm not too sure how that works or when it's supposed to happen. I hope this helps. Good luck!

32 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

Mine still says under review as well! And my last name is Baker, so definitely first if they go alphabetically. 

According to other forms, I believe there should be multiple waves even for advanced standing? Though now I'm second guessing myself. Please don't give up hope - so few of us say invited, and this is only the beginning for ALL schools. 

Best of luck everyone!!

Hi! 

I'm asking this for a BSW classmate of mine who doesn't have an account (I won't be applying until next year)....

....but for any UofT advanced standing applicants in the mental health and health stream, has your status on ROSI changed? My friend's still says "under review", but it sounds like a lot of people on here have had theirs say "decision made" already... are there different rounds of decisions? Or is it based on your specialization choice?

Thanks! :)

9 hours ago, SW_Student said:

Congratulations to everyone who heard good news today! It must be so exciting to know what comes next on your social work journey! I didn't make it in this year either, unless they do a second round of admissions of advanced standing (this is my third time applying to UofT specifically). I am aware they do three rounds of admission for the 2-year program, but I am not 100% about whether they do one or two rounds for the advanced standing because they accept less then the 2-year program and also much less also apply. Good luck to everyone, especially those still waiting to hear back from schools! 

ALSO my 3rd year applying. Super discouraging, I spent the day in bed crying. The rain that came down around mid-afternoon was perfectly timed. hahaha 

11 hours ago, Newfor2017 said:

Hey Jaylynn-I know Windsors advanced standing program begins in May.  From May thru to end of August, students are in class generally one day a week-the odd time it may be necessary to attend twice a week.  From September to December classes run 3 days a week.  Final term (Jan-May) you have placement 4 days a week, and this can be done back in your home city.

I was accepted into Windsors advanced standing program on feb 13, my friend was accepted feb 14 but I know some acceptances and rejections were sent out 5 days before I heard.

good luck to all waiting to hear back-hope the waiting game is over soon  for you guys! Wishing success to all on their social work journey, with or without an acceptance this year!

anyone else accepted an offer from Windsors advanced standing program or waiting to hear from them?

This was extremely helpful! Thank you, I got in on the 14th, so just trying to create a game plan :) 

14 hours ago, KarebearSW said:

Hi Bev_TO
They were both applying for the two year MSW program.

Thanks!!! Well, its good to know the advanced standing results are starting to go out. Which means they are on their way to getting the 2-year results out.

Edited by Bev_TO

Congratulations to all the advanced standing folks who have gotten their acceptances.

To those who haven't received word yet, I want to say strong words of encouragement and keep your heads up, there is still time.

And even if you don't get in this round, there will be more years, more rounds, and more opportunities. You'll have one more year of experience and be more prepared than ever. So take heart, and don't feel discouraged. Social work is full of challenges, and these challenges are just steps towards it.

2 hours ago, MSW2018hopeful said:

Hi!

I'm asking this for a BSW classmate of mine who doesn't have an account (I won't be applying until next year)....

....but for any UofT advanced standing applicants in the mental health and health stream, has your status on ROSI changed? My friend's still says "under review", but it sounds like a lot of people on here have had theirs say "decision made" already... are there different rounds of decisions? Or is it based on your specialization choice?

Thanks! :)

Hi! I'm an advance standing applicant to the mental health and health stream, and my ROSI changed to Invited.  My SGS still says under review.

Congrats to all who have gotten acceptances!

7 minutes ago, 2017hoping said:

I'm glad people are hearing back from U of T :)  Any word yet on York?  I need to know about that one either way to decide on others.....hopefully they start sending theirs out this week too!

Nothing for York :(   I'm tempted to call them and ask when they will release admissions but then I may not be so happy with my results ;p

Just want to know what direction to move my life in.

4 minutes ago, Hopeful18 said:

Nothing for York :(   I'm tempted to call them and ask when they will release admissions but then I may not be so happy with my results ;p

Just want to know what direction to move my life in.

Yes, me too!  I think this is the key week though - last full week of February (at least for advanced standing) so I'm expecting any day.  It's kind of like everything else is on hold until you know.  Unless I've already got a rejection letter in the mail (havn't been able to check this week).  Anybody hear anything from U of Victoria too? 

2 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

It seems that many who received invites from UofT for Advanced Standing are in the mental health stream. Has anyone from the other streams received an invite as well? 

Yes!  Me!  I applied to the Gerontology stream.  Advanced Standing.
I guess now we wait to receive the paperwork to make things official, and proceed with payment, choosing classes, etc.?  It doesn't feel real to me until I have the letter in my hand.  lol.

1 minute ago, KarebearSW said:

Yes!  Me!  I applied to the Gerontology stream.  Advanced Standing.
I guess now we wait to receive the paperwork to make things official, and proceed with payment, choosing classes, etc.?  It doesn't feel real to me until I have the letter in my hand.  lol.

Oh, and also, to answer your previous question about alphabetical order, my last name starts with H.
Have you heard anything yet, Dry_Guy?

32 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

Nada. I'm in children and families stream with addictions, last name at the end of the alphabet. ?

My last name is also at the end of the alphabet, and my stream is a less popular one (social justice). If the categorization by last name is a real thing, this will be a game changer I hope! (I didn't get accepted during the first round for UofT)

Edited by SW_Student