NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

41 minutes ago, jaylynn said:

Just came home to find out I've been waitlisted at UofT. 3 down 1 to go! A little disappointing, especially since they said I have until April 18 to let them know... but Windsor begins in May. Wah

Anyone know if the waitlist for advanced standing at UofT is stream specific? 

And how many Laurier puts on the waitlist? 

Still trying to accept that I may have to wait another year if I can't find the funds to move to Windsor. 

You have some tough decisions - congrats too!  Yes, finding the funds is another issues too - that's what hit me after excitement.  Would you still confirm the deposit with Windsor if you have time to secure the funds...?  Hope you hear back soon from some of these schools :)

Hey fellow applicants! I've been trying to find a descriptive post on Ryersons MSW program (pros/cons/expereinces) from someone who has attended. I've search this forum and a past one but didn't come across one. Can someone link me to a previous post, or if there is none, is there a past ryerson student on here that can write a length description of there experiences! Thanks :) Much appreciated! 

6 minutes ago, tnt92 said:

I called Angela at UofT FIFSW (because I had questions about changing my address) and she said the decision for two year applicants will not go out until the end of March to early April. The waiting continues...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

12 hours ago, jaylynn said:

Just came home to find out I've been waitlisted at UofT. 3 down 1 to go! A little disappointing, especially since they said I have until April 18 to let them know... but Windsor begins in May. Wah

Anyone know if the waitlist for advanced standing at UofT is stream specific? 

And how many Laurier puts on the waitlist? 

Still trying to accept that I may have to wait another year if I can't find the funds to move to Windsor. 

Hey Jaylynn,

I'm wondering, how did you know you were waitlisted at UofT? Did your status on SGS change? 

12 hours ago, 2017hoping said:

You have some tough decisions - congrats too!  Yes, finding the funds is another issues too - that's what hit me after excitement.  Would you still confirm the deposit with Windsor if you have time to secure the funds...?  Hope you hear back soon from some of these schools :)

Thanks @2017hoping, most likely, yeah. I'm pretty committed on completing my MSW this year. I'll just have to be super frugal. Fortunately they offered me a bit of an entrance scholarship too. Anything helps!

3 hours ago, tnt92 said:

I called Angela at UofT FIFSW (because I had questions about changing my address) and she said the decision for two year applicants will not go out until the end of March to early April. The waiting continues...

I reaalllyyyy hope she was overestimating the time so that she didn't get anyone's hopes up... that's so far!!!

1 hour ago, jaylynn said:

Thanks @2017hoping, most likely, yeah. I'm pretty committed on completing my MSW this year. I'll just have to be super frugal. Fortunately they offered me a bit of an entrance scholarship too. Anything helps!

Congrats on the entrance scholarship jaylynn-just curious-did you apply for it or it came automatically with your offer of admittance?

Can anyone suggest best field placements for someone who has a passion for child protection and play therapy, violence against women and has considerable experience in family court?  I am currently a family court support worker (for the past 4 years) and I have 6 years past experience with Children's Aid so I wouldn't  do a placement there; wondering about getting into the Office of the Children's Lawyer, Victim Witness Assistance Program, maybe something in the field of collaborative divorce.  Not sure if those options take MSW placements though.

Thanks!

Just got my letter in the post that I have been put on the waitlist for University of Toronto. Of course I am a bit disappointred seeing that UofT was my first choice. I applied to Ryerson and York, so I'll wait.

I am applying right from my BSW program (I'm only 21, went straight to high school intoo my BSW), and most applicants have more years of expeirence than me just because of age, so I won't let this get me down of course, if I don't make it into any schools, I'll gain more experience than apply next year :)

On 2/15/2017 at 0:56 PM, 2017hoping said:

I received acceptance email from Calgary yesterday at 5 (eastern time) to the Leadership specialization.  Pretty excited about it as I applied years ago to U of T and York and didn't get in.  Still waiting to hear back from others - but I was surprised we need to let Calgary know by March 1st, not a lot of time.  

What are you planning to do about this? I need to accept their offer by Monday (27th) and don't want to pay $500 to reserve a spot I may not take. I replied to the email earlier this week to ask for an extension and they passed it off to someone higher up to see if it's possible but I haven't heard anything yet. 

32 minutes ago, Newfor2017 said:

Congrats on the entrance scholarship jaylynn-just curious-did you apply for it or it came automatically with your offer of admittance?

Thanks! It came automatically, but I only discovered it yesterday when I logged into their online system. It's in some random area next to the admissions decision. 

1 hour ago, socialwerq said:

What are you planning to do about this? I need to accept their offer by Monday (27th) and don't want to pay $500 to reserve a spot I may not take. I replied to the email earlier this week to ask for an extension and they passed it off to someone higher up to see if it's possible but I haven't heard anything yet. 

Yeah, I was going to accept it too on Monday and pay the deposit, even though I'm still waiting to hear back from York and victoria, but I want to make sure I have a spot in a program.  I was going to be okay losing the deposit if I got into York as I have no idea how my application stacks up there. But my online account says "Deposit Exempted" though - does it say that for you?     

4 hours ago, jaylynn said:

Yes, that helps for sure!  Definitely - gotta make it happen :) I'm sure some opportunities will come up too so that you can find a way! 

What's everyone's opinion on York University? Even though it's not clinical, I always viewed it as being more competitive and harder to get into. Although I am so grateful to be accepted, I'm confused how I am once again wait listed at UofT. I thought I never had a chance with York, but some how it's the other way around. 

Also, what does everyone think of York versus Ryerson (pros/cons)? 

Well, now that it's 5pm on a Friday I think it's safe to say we've all survived another week of the waiting game! Congratulations to everyone who has received positive news so far!! To those that haven't, it is a crushing feeling but at least now you can begin planning your next steps! And to those that don't know yet... I feel your pain!