Jump to content

NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Y'all know how this works.  My real name is Roxanne May and I'm a nearly graduated M.S.W. student from the two-year program at U of T. Feel free to add me on Facebook, LinkedIN or message me dire

offers will come soon

finally some good news! I got accepted to the University of Victoria for the post degree BSW. It's online, so hopefully, if nothing comes out of the 2 year MSW I can work full time and complete the 2

Posted Images

Do they send out responses based on the alphabetical order of our names? My last name starts with "z" and i want to know if that has anything to do with the fact I haven't heard back from any of the schools I've applied to... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lindsay22156 said:

I just got my rejection letter from Western.  I am seriously so discouraged and feeling like I will never get in. I have 7300 volunteer hours, and a 78.3 gpa. I don't understand. 

 

 

I understand what you mean, I am feeling quite crappy myself right now! We have to remember that sometimes it's factors that have nothing to do with us though. The rejection has really got my down right now as well, but tomorrow is a new day and hopefully we will hear better news from other schools 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Keep calm said:

Just got rejected by western.. now I feel like the other two schools i applied to will definitely reject me as well.. 

Yup i feel the same way, if Western didnt accept, I highly doubt U OF T or laurier will. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that King's is a really small college at Western.  I imagine that the class size would be pretty small (therefore only a small number of people being accepted), so try not to be too discouraged!  Each school looks for different things in their applicants, there's still hope!  It's my third round of applying and I have yet to get an acceptance so I know it's hard not to let the disappointment take over, but each year I don't get in has just been more motivation to continue doing great work while gaining valuable experience to make my application stronger for the next year.

Edited by hornets14
Link to post
Share on other sites

When all is said and done, fit makes all the difference. Sometimes you have the right GPA, great experience and references, and there isn't a whole lot that you could have done differently to make your application better. When you're in this situation, sometimes it's a question of fit. Each school looks for a specific type of person for their program (perhaps it has something to do with your interests, why you want to get into the field, your future aspirations, or your maybe your outlook on the world). If you didn't get in somewhere, it doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't a strong candidate or that you won't get accepted anywhere else. It might mean that there is another school out there that's a better match for you.

You can kind of compare it to online dating or going on a blind date. Sometimes the person looks great in writing, they have many of the things that you are looking for in a partner and you're both great people individually, but for some reason you just don't hit it off. That doesn't mean that you are lacking in any way and it doesn't mean you aren't an awesome person. It just means that there's a better match out there for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an email from Milene from Ryerson today requesting that I fill out and send in the application form for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship and she attached the form to the email.  The email continued on to say that this does not mean I have been admitted or am receiving the scholarship only that my GPA qualifies me to be recommended for the scholarship.  I hope that means they are seriously considering me.  Has anyone gotten this email?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hopeful18 said:

I received an email from Milene from Ryerson today requesting that I fill out and send in the application form for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship and she attached the form to the email.  The email continued on to say that this does not mean I have been admitted or am receiving the scholarship only that my GPA qualifies me to be recommended for the scholarship.  I hope that means they are seriously considering me.  Has anyone gotten this email?

If you don't mind me asking, what is your GPA and did you apply for advanced stnadidng? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, ONE step CLOSER said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know U of Waterloo (advanced standing) has started releasing decisions via quest. I have been admitted! Good Luck and Congratulations to all!

Hey! My Quest changed today to admitted as well. So thrilled & relieved! Were you able to view your letter? The "view" option has appeared for me but when I click it nothing seems to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, moh230 said:

yea they also said it was because of my Non-Acedemic-requirements too. you never know, hopefully we get accepted somewhere! good luck

@moh230 and @nicoleMSW did your rejection letters from Western say that your non-academic requirements affected your chances of getting in? Or did you guys e-mail the admissions office & ask them? My rejection letter didn't say anything about why I didn't get in :(

Edited by riaveda
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, riaveda said:

@moh230 and @nicoleMSW did your rejection letters from Western say that your non-academic requirements affected your chances of getting in? Or did you guys e-mail the admissions office & ask them? My rejection letter didn't say anything about why I didn't get in :(

 

Yea mine mentioned specifically the non-acedemic requirements. There was a PDF document attached in the e-mail that was sent and this is the bulk of the letter.

 

hope that helps

western.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moh230 said:

Yea mine mentioned specifically the non-acedemic requirements. There was a PDF document attached in the e-mail that was sent and this is the bulk of the letter.

 

hope that helps

Thanks @moh230! That's so weird, because mine just says: " Final decisions have now been made regarding this year’s applicants to the MSW program at King’s University College. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a position in our program this year." Its a bummer but at least now we're one step closer to finding out where we will be in the fall. 

Edited by riaveda
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, riaveda said:

Thanks @moh230! That's so weird, because mine just says: " Final decisions have now been made regarding this year’s applicants to the MSW program at King’s University College. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a position in our program this year." Its a bummer but at least now we're one step closer to finding out where we will be in the fall. 

 

Hm thats weird. If you are really curious about why you were not accepted, e-mail them and ask for clarification. And ya honestly a really great path is to get into Lakehead's HBSW and finish that in a year and apply for the advanced standing MSW. It's basically like doing 2 years MSW. I hope we get Lakehead's admissions results soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lindsayds said:

Big congrats to all who have been accepted! Us UoT 2 year applicants will just have to keep waiting. I'm looking at it like everyday I don't get rejected is another chance to get in, lol. Any other 2 year UoT applicants checking rosi and the mail constantly?

Literally like every two hours and then I check this forum to see if anyone has said anything hahah

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hopeful18 said:

I received an email from Milene from Ryerson today requesting that I fill out and send in the application form for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship and she attached the form to the email.  The email continued on to say that this does not mean I have been admitted or am receiving the scholarship only that my GPA qualifies me to be recommended for the scholarship.  I hope that means they are seriously considering me.  Has anyone gotten this email?

That sounds like a really good sign to me.

I'm also jealous, as I didn't think I had a chance of getting into U of T so I didn't apply for OGS -- now that I was accepted, I'm having some SERIOUS regrets. This is a first positive step for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moh230 said:

Yea mine mentioned specifically the non-acedemic requirements. There was a PDF document attached in the e-mail that was sent and this is the bulk of the letter.

 

hope that helps

western.png

@riaveda that's exactly what mine said too. It also said in the letter that if you have specific questions to contact Samantha Pearson, so it can't hurt to send her an email! 

Edited by nicoleMSW
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lindsayds said:

Big congrats to all who have been accepted! Us UoT 2 year applicants will just have to keep waiting. I'm looking at it like everyday I don't get rejected is another chance to get in, lol. Any other 2 year UoT applicants checking rosi and the mail constantly?

Yup I swear I've been checking everyday since the beginning of February, even though I knew there was no chance of anything changing then. This was the first week last year that people started finding out, so hopefully we will hear something soon. 

Also, does anyone know when York starts releasing decisions? I don't think I have much of a chance due to the small program size, but I'm just curious as to when I should start expecting to hear from them. I believe it's early April...?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

57 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Yup I swear I've been checking everyday since the beginning of February, even though I knew there was no chance of anything changing then. This was the first week last year that people started finding out, so hopefully we will hear something soon. 

Also, does anyone know when York starts releasing decisions? I don't think I have much of a chance due to the small program size, but I'm just curious as to when I should start expecting to hear from them. I believe it's early April...?

Yup! Me too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does U of T send out acceptance letters first then waitlist and rejection? Western rejected me for non-academic requirements, so i doubt it's even worth it for me to wait for U of T and Windsor, as I'm pretty sure that my hours won't be enough for them either.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.