Fall 2017 Canadian University Computer Science Thread

guitarHeroAn

17 hours ago, anxiousstudent said:

Ah, so we are both competing for the same prize. In that case, may the best man (or woman) win!

Or, hopefully we both get accepted. lol

I got accepted yesterday.(Concordia). I am sure that you will be accepted as well. don't worry. I sent them an email and asked about application status and they sent acceptance the same day.

2 hours ago, Canadaspirant said:

Whoa! Congrats! 

Did you message SFU? 

Thanks

No, I didn't message university. But I started to message some professors. I know that some of my friends got accepted to sfu. However, all of them will decline the offer because they have better options. 

54 minutes ago, mahsa188 said:

Thanks

No, I didn't message university. But I started to message some professors. I know that some of my friends got accepted to sfu. However, all of them will decline the offer because they have better options. 

Oh really? From trends on the submission page only about 2 people (PhD) had gotten offers, and someone on this page mentioned that they said they'll roll out offers this month's end. The other admission offers were mainly for the professional Big Data program. Were your friends admitted to the Big Data or research program? 

And I'm guessing you're going in for research since you are contacting professors. Did you get any reply?  

I also tried contacting some profs recently but haven't gotten a reply. Seems SFU professors don't like being contacted. One explicitly stated on his page that he won't reply such messages as its a committee that handles the admission process. 

24 minutes ago, Canadaspirant said:

Oh really? From trends on the submission page only about 2 people (PhD) had gotten offers, and someone on this page mentioned that they said they'll roll out offers this month's end. The other admission offers were mainly for the professional Big Data program. Were your friends admitted to the Big Data or research program? 

And I'm guessing you're going in for research since you are contacting professors. Did you get any reply?  

I also tried contacting some profs recently but haven't gotten a reply. Seems SFU professors don't like being contacted. One explicitly stated on his page that he won't reply such messages as its a committee that handles the admission process. 

I know 2 guys who accepted for the master of computer science (research base). they had really strong records. one of them contacted a professor but the professor didn't answer her email but after one month accepted him without any skype(image processing-full-funded).

another research area was networks. he also made a contact with a professor but after a month the professor answered his email that I got accepted you!

However, both of them will decline the offer and go to toronto uni or the USA.

No one responded me yet!

They sent rejections on 1 may last year! shall we wait for rejection when they have not offered all admissions yet? today is 26 april!

Edited by mahsa188

35 minutes ago, mahsa188 said:

I know 2 guys who accepted for the master of computer science (research base).

They sent rejections on 1 may last year! shall we wait for rejection when they have not offered all admissions yet? today is 26 april!

Thanks for the info, very enlightening. 

This post both takes away my hope and gives me hope same time.

Takes away my hope because people have already been admitted, but gives me hope to hear some will be declining and there's still a chance. Your friends must have had extremely good profiles to be admitted to UofT. 

I don't even know what to do..  Whether to keep on contacting professors or this will have negative impact. 

Yeah it's already pretty late..  When did your friends get admitted? 

Edited by Canadaspirant

6 hours ago, mahsa188 said:

I got accepted yesterday.(Concordia). I am sure that you will be accepted as well. don't worry. I sent them an email and asked about application status and they sent acceptance the same day.

Wow lucky you. I don't have that great of an academic record or even a bachelor of comp sci so I don't know. We will see!

6 hours ago, mahsa188 said:

Who did you email by the way? My concordia still shows a reference letter missing :-/

36 minutes ago, Canadaspirant said:

Thanks for the info, very enlightening. 

This post both takes away my hope and gives me hope same time.

Takes away my hope because people have already been admitted, but gives me hope to hear some will be declining and there's still a chance. Your friends must have had extremely good profiles to be admitted to UofT. 

I don't even know what to do..  Whether to keep on contacting professors or this will have negative impact. 

Yeah it's already pretty late..  When did your friends get admitted? 

one of them 2 march and the other a week ago .

it 's because of Trump ban. some Iranian students with great records who wanted to go to the USA applied for SFU because of extended deadlines. But they already have better offers form the USA and no one will attend SFU. 

Edited by mahsa188

8 minutes ago, anxiousstudent said:

Who did you email by the way? My concordia still shows a reference letter missing :-/

so bad. :( my file was completed 2 months ago. try to email them to update reference letters.

3 hours ago, omerjerk said:

Sent email to McGill a week back, didn't even receive the reply.

I'm getting anxious af. :| :'|
Have been rejected from everywhere else. :(

Where were you rejected from previously? 

Depending on where rejected you,  you can essay a guess on your chances at McGill. 

So my email to Concordia went unanswered. I decided to call them, they say they indeed do have all my reference letters. I don't know why the system shows one of them missing on my end.

Still, no update on the status of my application other than it's being assessed. Would love to know why they approve or reject some applications and not others. Waiting sucks!