Recommended Posts

I applied in Round 1 and got a mail on 2/10 that my material is ready and will be contacted in 6 weeks. Onto the 4th week now and no word yet. Also had asked a current student and she said that 6 weeks is a loose timeline and many applicants receive invite even after the 6 week timeline. I think we still have time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Fingers-Xed said:

It is indeed killing, great choice of word :(

I found that interesting as well, as I combined two of my portfolios into one PDF (as directed by the admissions coordinator when I asked), and submitted that.

Apparently some people opted to present their portfolios online, or directed them to their website for other reasons? I think thats a smart move though, as you can gain some insight on who visited your webpage when, just to keep track..

Ya same here..i combined the 2 parts!! i guess they either put their website link on linkedin, or embedded it in their PDF. Smart move, i agree :D

Where else have u applied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2017 at 8:46 PM, Fingers-Xed said:

I envy your network / connection! I see, good to hear that various individuals would be looking at our application and our portfolios.

I did hear that they had record-breaking number of applications this term, something like "more in R1 than all rounds combined last year."

Hopefully we can make the cut!

 

I applied to UPenn (Accepted) and Stanford (Expected to hear back sometime this or next week). How about you?

Hey Congrats on Upenn!

May I know when you heard from Upenn, and the date you applied? I'd applied too, but haven't heard from them yet :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any candidate here from Business background for IDM? In general, what do you think how hard it would be to get a call from IDM compared to top 10 B-schools in US?

Any idea about the acceptance rates and the number of applications? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amit37 said:

Any candidate here from Business background for IDM? In general, what do you think how hard it would be to get a call from IDM compared to top 10 B-schools in US?

Any idea about the acceptance rates and the number of applications? 

In one of the last web sessions they did, the director mentioned that they didn't want to share the number of applicants neither the acceptance rates because they don't consider those facts can help us in anyway.

Btw, I applied for engineering, anyone else from engineering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Amit37 said:

Any candidate here from Business background for IDM? In general, what do you think how hard it would be to get a call from IDM compared to top 10 B-schools in US?

Any idea about the acceptance rates and the number of applications? 

I have a mixed background (design + business). I also applied to Yale SOM and I got an interview, still waiting for the final decision. Maybe that gives you an idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting! I thought there was no hope left when I saw that post about the interview invitation on the forum! but I guess that was fake. Good luck to everyone! hopefully this week will be THE week ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, violet03 said:

Still waiting! I thought there was no hope left when I saw that post about the interview invitation on the forum! but I guess that was fake. Good luck to everyone! hopefully this week will be THE week ;)

I was hopeless too! Now I see we are all in the same position :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2017 at 8:46 PM, Fingers-Xed said:

I envy your network / connection! I see, good to hear that various individuals would be looking at our application and our portfolios.

I did hear that they had record-breaking number of applications this term, something like "more in R1 than all rounds combined last year."

Hopefully we can make the cut!

 

I applied to UPenn (Accepted) and Stanford (Expected to hear back sometime this or next week). How about you?

UPenn which program? And which program of Stanford have you applied to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amit37 said:

Any candidate here from Business background for IDM? In general, what do you think how hard it would be to get a call from IDM compared to top 10 B-schools in US?

Any idea about the acceptance rates and the number of applications? 

I applied as a business candidate. Other than MIT, applied to schools that teach human centered design. You have applied to business schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, aj17 said:

Ya same here..i combined the 2 parts!! i guess they either put their website link on linkedin, or embedded it in their PDF. Smart move, i agree :D

Where else have u applied?

Upenn (Accepted, MS in Systems Engineering) and still waiting for Stanford (MS in MS&E)!

7 hours ago, Amit37 said:

Any candidate here from Business background for IDM? In general, what do you think how hard it would be to get a call from IDM compared to top 10 B-schools in US?

Any idea about the acceptance rates and the number of applications? 

Here! (although I majored in Business Analytics and Finance, so kind of a mix between Eng. and Bus.)
It was a high reach, but I thought it was highly relevant to what I am going for (mix of Eng. and Business). 

As for the acceptance rates and stats, yes, I also heard that IDM does not disclose those.. All I know is that during their past years, applications have been nearly doubled (or even more) every year. Which is a good thing, as we applied to a program that is up and coming!

10 hours ago, akhilm1991 said:

Hey Congrats on Upenn!

May I know when you heard from Upenn, and the date you applied? I'd applied too, but haven't heard from them yet :-(

Thank you! I applied for the November deadline, and heard back in late December (earlier than peers as well). I attended several of their info sessions, but it seems like the decision dates radically depends on the department, and even so, may differ based on where you are within the pile...

-----------------

Great to see all the activities in this forum! Helps a lot trying to get my mind off from this once in a while :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know anything about how good CMU MA in design is? and Iowa Masters of Industrial design? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Fingers-Xed said:

Upenn (Accepted, MS in Systems Engineering) and still waiting for Stanford (MS in MS&E)!

Here! (although I majored in Business Analytics and Finance, so kind of a mix between Eng. and Bus.)
It was a high reach, but I thought it was highly relevant to what I am going for (mix of Eng. and Business). 

As for the acceptance rates and stats, yes, I also heard that IDM does not disclose those.. All I know is that during their past years, applications have been nearly doubled (or even more) every year. Which is a good thing, as we applied to a program that is up and coming!

Thank you! I applied for the November deadline, and heard back in late December (earlier than peers as well). I attended several of their info sessions, but it seems like the decision dates radically depends on the department, and even so, may differ based on where you are within the pile...

-----------------

Great to see all the activities in this forum! Helps a lot trying to get my mind off from this once in a while :)

Thanks! 

Upenn systems engineering! I sort of assumed you were referring to Upenn IPD, which has similar curriculum structure as that of IDM's.

Application deadline for that was sometime in Jan.. Relieved..   😌 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Amit37 said:

Any candidate here from Business background for IDM? In general, what do you think how hard it would be to get a call from IDM compared to top 10 B-schools in US?

Any idea about the acceptance rates and the number of applications? 

I applied to the business cohort 

 

3 hours ago, violet03 said:

I have a mixed background (design + business). I also applied to Yale SOM and I got an interview, still waiting for the final decision. Maybe that gives you an idea!

Hey, which cohort did you apply to? 

I have a design + business background as well. Applied to business and shared link to design portfolio on my resume. But they haven't looked it up yet.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, akhilm1991 said:

I applied to the business cohort 

 

Hey, which cohort did you apply to? 

I have a design + business background as well. Applied to business and shared link to design portfolio on my resume. But they haven't looked it up yet.. 

 

I too have applied in the business cohort - what's your profile like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, akhilm1991 said:

Thanks! 

Upenn systems engineering! I sort of assumed you were referring to Upenn IPD, which has similar curriculum structure as that of IDM's.

Application deadline for that was sometime in Jan.. Relieved..   😌 😬

Haha yes, I do know they have the IPD program, but I wanted to opt for a Masters degree with a thesis option / requirement instead of a final project, as I might be interested in pursuing PhD at a later date. (Correct me if I am horribly mistaken!)

Do participate in the weekly chat session that UPenn provides, you can ask all sorts of questions there! I personally think UPenn might just have (at least the Eng.) the best means of communication and the least amount of time it takes to reach back.

----------------

Surprised to see a lot of Business cohort applicants here! I thought for sure the applicant pool would be skewed towards Design / Engineering... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, akhilm1991 said:

I applied to the business cohort 

 

Hey, which cohort did you apply to? 

I have a design + business background as well. Applied to business and shared link to design portfolio on my resume. But they haven't looked it up yet.. 

I applied as a designer! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Amit37 said:

I too have applied in the business cohort - what's your profile like?

Bachelor's in engineering (GPA on the lower end), 325 gre, 1 year as a business analyst and 2.5 yrs as an entrepreneur, Some software product design experience 

How about yours? 

 

5 hours ago, Fingers-Xed said:

Haha yes, I do know they have the IPD program, but I wanted to opt for a Masters degree with a thesis option / requirement instead of a final project, as I might be interested in pursuing PhD at a later date. (Correct me if I am horribly mistaken!)

Do participate in the weekly chat session that UPenn provides, you can ask all sorts of questions there! I personally think UPenn might just have (at least the Eng.) the best means of communication and the least amount of time it takes to reach back.

----------------

Surprised to see a lot of Business cohort applicants here! I thought for sure the applicant pool would be skewed towards Design / Engineering... 

Says on their site, 'thesis project' 😬

 

3 hours ago, violet03 said:

I applied as a designer! 

Oh cool! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the IDM program specifically asked for the portfolio and other documents in specific format (PDF, etc.), no option to share a link to a web portfolio. However, I included my website on my CV and portfolio. So maybe that is why they visited.

Anyway, I'm getting rather anxious. I have a few deadlines for scholarships, etc. coming up within the next week, and I don't have nay word from IDM adcom yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, akhilm1991 said:

Bachelor's in engineering (GPA on the lower end), 325 gre, 1 year as a business analyst and 2.5 yrs as an entrepreneur, Some software product design experience 

How about yours? 

 

Says on their site, 'thesis project' 😬

 

Oh cool! 👍

1

 

4.5 years work ex - mix of consulting, start-ups, family business and entrepreneurship. 760 GMAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SolderBob said:

I think the IDM program specifically asked for the portfolio and other documents in specific format (PDF, etc.), no option to share a link to a web portfolio. However, I included my website on my CV and portfolio. So maybe that is why they visited.

Anyway, I'm getting rather anxious. I have a few deadlines for scholarships, etc. coming up within the next week, and I don't have nay word from IDM adcom yet!

What other programs are you applying for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone applied to any other programs that focus on human centered design / design thinking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, aj17 said:

Has anyone applied to any other programs that focus on human centered design / design thinking

I had applied to Master in Design Engineering (from Harvard) and I've been already rejected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now