2 minutes ago, Hartley said:

How do we know to infer decisions from UMichigan, Brown, and UPenn?  I haven't seen anything from any of them yet.

unsure of the others, but Brown acceptances seem to have gone out on Feb 10 based on the results search

24 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Is there any reason you're thinking of yourself as an "imaginary waitlist" at U Penn?  I haven't seen anything from them on the results board so far this year, and I have been speculating that we wouldn't hear from them until sometime between mid- next week and early March, based on previous years' data.

It was a joke based on someone else jesting about creating "imaginary waitlists" for those of us still waiting. Didn't mean to set off a panic! :)

27 minutes ago, Katara said:

It was a joke based on someone else jesting about creating "imaginary waitlists" for those of us still waiting. Didn't mean to set off a panic! :)

The topic has been opened, feel free to rejoice and repent over there. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Katara said:

Waitlisted at Illinois State University. "Imaginary waitlisted" at (i.e., still waiting impatiently to hear back from) UIC, U of Penn, U of Michigan, Florida State, and UCSC. ;)

Glad to know I'm not the only one waiting for UIC and UCSC! The lack of response was making me feel like I might have missed something. 

Just got waitlisted at Princeton. Not sure how to feel, because I doubt space will open up. But mostly, after having nothing but bad news so far, I'm just glad that I was at least somewhat competitive this cycle. (I'm still waiting on some schools, but I've come to assume rejection even when I have no reason to.) It gives me some more hope for what's to come, both this year and next.

2 minutes ago, jackdacjson said:

Just got waitlisted at Princeton. Not sure how to feel, because I doubt space will open up. But mostly, after having nothing but bad news so far, I'm just glad that I was at least somewhat competitive this cycle. (I'm still waiting on some schools, but I've come to assume rejection even when I have no reason to.) It gives me some more hope for what's to come, both this year and next.

In all fairness, you applied to virtually the most difficult and competitive programs. I admire your moxie. A waitlist at Princeton is very respectable. 

2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

In all fairness, you applied to virtually the most difficult and competitive programs. I admire your moxie. A waitlist at Princeton is very respectable. 

Haha, true. I told myself that my first time through I would only apply to top-twenty schools, in case I could fluke high. If I don't get in anywhere this year, I'm going to expand my list a bit for next year. And thanks for the moxie admiration. :)

6 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Indeed. That's something I'd definitely humblebrag about, @jackdacjson :lol: 

Edited by Yanaka

I got waitlisted at Princeton too, @jackdacjson! Also waitlisted at Stanford. I'm happy I'm still in the running for both, but the waitlist doesn't feel good, exactly. Do you know how long the Princeton list is? I was thinking about emailing the department with some questions about it but I don't want to annoy them. 

1 hour ago, aglaia said:

I got waitlisted at Princeton too, @jackdacjson! Also waitlisted at Stanford. I'm happy I'm still in the running for both, but the waitlist doesn't feel good, exactly. Do you know how long the Princeton list is? I was thinking about emailing the department with some questions about it but I don't want to annoy them. 

I have no idea. As you are likely equally aware, the e-mail they sent was strangely roundabout and vague. I went through the results page for the past few years, and it doesn't seem like they've tended to waitlist many gradcafers, but that also means that I haven't seen an example of someone getting off the waitlist recently either.

On 2/17/2017 at 9:48 AM, Katara said:

Waitlisted at Illinois State University. "Imaginary waitlisted" at (i.e., still waiting impatiently to hear back from) UIC, U of Penn, U of Michigan, Florida State, and UCSC. ;)

21 hours ago, urbanfarmer said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one waiting for UIC and UCSC! The lack of response was making me feel like I might have missed something. 

Oohhh, hi hi UCSC applicant friends! Good to see some other applicants there! Did either of you apply for the creative/critical concentration? I'm dying to hear back from them.   It looks like there's always a sprinkling of acceptances that have heard back by now so I don't know what's up! A few years back there's some Feb 23-25 so I suppose we'll hear soon!  (Also, any intel on that results post from last year saying they only take comp lit students?)

In other news, I'm waitlisted at UC Santa Barbara, which would be great for me! If anyone's accepted and knows they're turning their spot down, be kind & notify! :D

46 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

Oohhh, hi hi UCSC applicant friends! Good to see some other applicants there! Did either of you apply for the creative/critical concentration? I'm dying to hear back from them.   It looks like there's always a sprinkling of acceptances that have heard back by now so I don't know what's up! A few years back there's some Feb 23-25 so I suppose we'll hear soon!  (Also, any intel on that results post from last year saying they only take comp lit students?)

In other news, I'm waitlisted at UC Santa Barbara, which would be great for me! If anyone's accepted and knows they're turning their spot down, be kind & notify! :D

I have no idea what that comp lit thing was about! On the dept site it says, "The study of literature at UCSC is organized as an interdisciplinary field coordinated through a single Department of Literature, rather than through separate departments of English, modern languages, and classics. This structure fosters innovative and comparative approaches to literature among both faculty and students. Courses in the major encompass traditional literary history and interpretation as well as cross-cultural inquiry and current theoretical debates." So It definitely sounds MORE comparative than other departments but who knows! Honestly this whole process is a mystery to me half the time. I do hope we hear soon though! My nerves are shot with all the waiting.

Good luck with UCSB! It's a beautiful campus.

1 hour ago, eatthatbee said:

Hello everyone!

I have a bit of an odd situation and request: I've been accepted to UC-Riverside and my partner has been waitlisted for 20/21st Century Literature and we'd really like to attend Riverside together. If you are in that field/area and won't be attending, please let them know as soon as possible (if only for our sanity). Thanks!

I'm an early modernist so I don't know if it would help, but I'm fairly certain I'll be declining my fully funded spot at UCR. I'm holding on for a bit bc I'm waiting on funding info at one of my top choices and am hoping to negotiate, but I hope to let them know within the next two weeks.

9 hours ago, urbanfarmer said:

I have no idea what that comp lit thing was about! On the dept site it says, "The study of literature at UCSC is organized as an interdisciplinary field coordinated through a single Department of Literature, rather than through separate departments of English, modern languages, and classics. This structure fosters innovative and comparative approaches to literature among both faculty and students. Courses in the major encompass traditional literary history and interpretation as well as cross-cultural inquiry and current theoretical debates." So It definitely sounds MORE comparative than other departments but who knows! Honestly this whole process is a mystery to me half the time. I do hope we hear soon though! My nerves are shot with all the waiting.

Good luck with UCSB! It's a beautiful campus.

Ha, I most definitely agree about the mystery thing!! Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit mystified by the comp lit comment.  I concur with it being more comparative, which is actually super cool, and honestly an awesome approach.  I notice some academics becoming very insular/closed off, and this would definitely prevent that! My bizarre, barely co-habitating interests range from medieval to eco to modern feminist (esp fantasy) so maybe it'll be a strangeness they appreciate! 

We can hang in there for another week! Moral support! :D

On 2/17/2017 at 7:21 AM, Hartley said:

How do we know to infer decisions from UMichigan, Brown, and UPenn?  I haven't seen anything from any of them yet.

I'm considering UMich an implied rejection, but mainly so I can prepare myself *cries*. UPenn hasn't come out at all yet! I saw someone say that they've done Mondays the past two years, around Feb 20-22... so maybe this Monday..... 

Also if anyone is C20 Brit Lit at UCLA and has a better offer, I'd appreciate if you could let them know sooner rather than later! Feeling very fatalistic / like my remaining schools are p much impossible....

Anyone have any advice on how often to communicate with a program you're waitlisted at? I've been in touch with the DGS at the program I'm waitlisted in, we've exchanged friendly emails etc., but re: my inquiry about my status on the waitlist/how their waitlist works, said that she couldn't divulge much further info but would be in touch if there was movement, or by April 16 at the latest (obviously).  I don't want to be that person that they never hear a peep from again until April 16 (I'm very interested in attending and would like to make it known I'm still interested over the next months), but it seemed like the last word & so I also don't want to be the person who annoys them to death.  Thoughts/advice? 

2 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

Anyone have any advice on how often to communicate with a program you're waitlisted at? I've been in touch with the DGS at the program I'm waitlisted in, we've exchanged friendly emails etc., but re: my inquiry about my status on the waitlist/how their waitlist works, said that she couldn't divulge much further info but would be in touch if there was movement, or by April 16 at the latest (obviously).  I don't want to be that person that they never hear a peep from again until April 16 (I'm very interested in attending and would like to make it known I'm still interested over the next months), but it seemed like the last word & so I also don't want to be the person who annoys them to death.  Thoughts/advice? 

Are you invited to the visiting weekend? That seems like the most crucial thing - going to that would allow you to still hobnob with relevant profs, get a feel for the dept, etc., especially if you're considering other options and don't want to wait till April 12th to start thinking comparatively. If they haven't told you either way, that's definitely something to inquire about. Other than that, I don't think a friendly follow-up to POIs is unwarranted either.

8 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Are you invited to the visiting weekend? That seems like the most crucial thing - going to that would allow you to still hobnob with relevant profs, get a feel for the dept, etc., especially if you're considering other options and don't want to wait till April 12th to start thinking comparatively. If they haven't told you either way, that's definitely something to inquire about. Other than that, I don't think a friendly follow-up to POIs is unwarranted either.

I wasn't invited to visiting weekend :'( They didn't say that in so many words, but there's also no mention of it in either the initial waitlist or further correspondence.  It's actually something else I was wondering about -- I can't help but thinking it would be a turn off if I asked about it, since I figure they obviously haven't mentioned it for a reason.  And funny enough, the DGS is also one of my POIs :blink:

(On another note -- your username!! Piers, you gave me hell last semester! :P)

On 2/18/2017 at 8:01 PM, eatthatbee said:

Hello everyone!

I have a bit of an odd situation and request: I've been accepted to UC-Riverside and my partner has been waitlisted for 20/21st Century Literature and we'd really like to attend Riverside together. If you are in that field/area and won't be attending, please let them know as soon as possible (if only for our sanity). Thanks!

Hello there

I am also waiting for a response from Riverside. Because all acceptance entries in the results page seemed to have scholarships, I had assumed they notified scholarship receivers before the others with regular package. That was last week. But I just saw (I think) your partner's entry as "waitlisted" and started to worry that there will be no second batch of notifications. So I wanted to ask with whom your partner contacted, and what details they gave them (like how many people are in the waitlist, where in the waitlist they are?) I feel very nervous about contacting the department, but waiting for a response is also slowly killing me.

My area is Science Fiction by the way I really wish to work with Dr. Vint. So if there is also someone in SF who are considering to drop the offer, please let me know.

Also question: is this normal that they don't let waitlisted people know that they are in the waitlist? Just checked results page, last year, one person called the department to learn their status 24 Feb, the last 3 waitlisted were notified a month later, late March. I cannot wait another month :(  

I am supposed to working on my masters thesis, but I cannot focus. And even though I know there is 11 hour difference between here and California, so the people are probably sleeping as I nervously wait for them to contact me, I still jump at every notification on my phone. :unsure: