I was waitlisted for the English MA at Miami of OH. I have funded offers elsewhere, so it is unlikely that I'll stay on this waitlist very long. They mentioned in the email that they often admit deep off the waitlist, so hopefully that is helpful for someone :D

On 2/15/2017 at 10:27 PM, Silabus said:

I will take that funded offer! xD I sooooo want to be involved in their Victorian Studies department!

I just emailed IU my decision. As you saw in my other topic I am weighing two other offers with (I think) far better fit for me.

I want to say "all yours!" because I really wish it worked like that, but silliness aside I wish you the best of luck wherever you end up :)

Just now, shoestofollow said:

I just emailed IU my decision. As you saw in my other topic I am weighing two other offers with (I think) far better fit for me.

I want to say "all yours!" because I really wish it worked like that, but silliness aside I wish you the best of luck wherever you end up :)

Ha ha! I appreciate the update! And the luck!

And it sounds like you don't need any luck from me but you've got it anyway!

On 2/19/2017 at 0:13 PM, slightlymoreanonymous said:

Just wanted to join and commiserate! I'm waitlisted at Penn State...I don't know if it's better to think of it as a outright rejection and have the possibility (?) of being pleasantly surprised, or factor it the decision making process. How are y'all handling it? 

I'm on that waitlist too!! I know one person who says he was accepted but he also was accepted at Michigan and UC Davis. I need him to make a decision ASAP

Hello there!

I just received news today from my POI that after being interviewed for Columbia's PhD program, they would not be able to offer me a place. This means that my last shot at getting into a PhD program is Rutgers, where I am waitlisted. The DGS called and walked me through their program and funding when I was waitlisted, and so I would like to remain hopeful, but this month has been exhausting for me (as I imagine it has also been for many of you!). If you were accepted to Rutgers, but do not intend to attend, please consider declining your offer sooner rather than later. It could make my life a whole lot better. Thank you, and best of luck to others on waitlists!

1 hour ago, la_mod said:

Hey, UCLA has 10 people on the waitlist! They didn't give me details about what the concentrations were, but yeah. FYI. 20th centurty people, help me out. Please. 

Omg this is so good to know!!! Thank you!! 

A- Loyola Chicago

W- UCLA, UVA

R- Chicago, Northeastern, Harvard (implied)

Edited by fieldingfanatic

On 2/24/2017 at 5:11 PM, jaewoww said:

I'm on that waitlist too!! I know one person who says he was accepted but he also was accepted at Michigan and UC Davis. I need him to make a decision ASAP

Let's keep our fingers crossed then! Dr. Hawhee told me that they arrange the waitlist by potential advisor/research interests so I'm behind one other candidate in rhet/comp. Can't decide if I hope mystery person with the same interests as me will choose another wonderful program, or that I won't get in and then my decision will be easier haha. The faculty at Penn State are amazing though, so it's hard to let go of completely.  

Then might anyone have information regarding the Early Modern waitlist? I've yet to hear from PSU one way or the other, but I've noticed the rejections seem to have come from other fields, so I'm not sure if I'm on some kind of waitlist or simply languishing, waiting for a rejection.

17 minutes ago, Pragmatologist said:

Then might anyone have information regarding the Early Modern waitlist? I've yet to hear from PSU one way or the other, but I've noticed the rejections seem to have come from other fields, so I'm not sure if I'm on some kind of waitlist or simply languishing, waiting for a rejection.

Not to dishearten you, but I'm an early modernist, and when I applied to PSU two years ago, I didn't receive an official notice of rejection until April 16th -- yep, a day after the official commitment date to a program. Whether or not that meant I was on an invisible waitlist, the lack of communication was pretty awful. In other words, don't expect to hear from them anytime soon.

I'm not sure if they even have a waitlist, but I declined a funded offer from South Carolina yesterday, so if they do it should be moving soon!

Good luck to everyone who is waitlisted at various places. Things should start shifting around soon, and I have my fingers crossed for all of you!

Waitlisted for real at Brown, imaginarily waitlisted for NYU and Princeton (actually more like sure rejects at this point but one can dream).

I do have an acceptance at a place that I feel might be a better fit for me than Brown though. I will still consider Brown if I do get accepted since I'm not in a position to judge objectively right now, but at least this means that I'm not going to stress too much over my waitlist status.

Edited by ThousandsHardships

Does anyone know how big a waitlist usually is? My first choice - the CUNY Grad Center - got more than 300 applicants and will only admit 25, and I hear they usually only allow about 2 from each specialization (e.g.: modern). I'm a Victorianist and I'm waitlisted so I wonder how big a waitlist usually is during the admissions process? About the same number they will admit? Half? Any ideas from your own personal experience? 

2 hours ago, Zeromus1337 said:

Does anyone know how big a waitlist usually is? My first choice - the CUNY Grad Center - got more than 300 applicants and will only admit 25, and I hear they usually only allow about 2 from each specialization (e.g.: modern). I'm a Victorianist and I'm waitlisted so I wonder how big a waitlist usually is during the admissions process? About the same number they will admit? Half? Any ideas from your own personal experience? 

Not all programs even do waitlists, so there's certainly no such thing as a usual size. The thing about graduate programs is that they often admit more candidates than they expect to matriculate, expecting that some will decline. Unfortunately this means that getting in from the waitlist entails a little more than a single person declining his or her offer. It requires that more people decline than accept.

I wish there was a way to just transfer their acceptance to a specific person. "while I won't be attending your illustrious institution, Jaewoww from thegradcafe.com has been losing sleep over this and would love to attend"

50 minutes ago, jaewoww said:

I wish there was a way to just transfer their acceptance to a specific person. "while I won't be attending your illustrious institution, Jaewoww from thegradcafe.com has been losing sleep over this and would love to attend"

Hahahaha that would be both awful and extremely good right now. 

51 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

I have unexpectedly found myself on a wait list! Is it acceptable to ask them for more information about wait list length / likelihood of admission / campus visits?

Yes, absolutely! It will show that you're interested in accepting them, should they have the spot to make you an offer. 

1 hour ago, erosanddust said:

I have unexpectedly found myself on a wait list! Is it acceptable to ask them for more information about wait list length / likelihood of admission / campus visits?

I asked about wait list length and likelihood of admission for mine (though I personally felt it was overstepping to ask about campus visits, since I wasn't actually admitted and they didn't say anything about it first).  As long as you're professional and enthusiastic etc., I can't imagine it'll hurt.  For mine, while they said they weren't able to give me any more detailed info, it opened up communication channels and established a friendly, more personal rapport with the grad chair.

Also, I'd venture to say (though someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's detrimental not to contact them in some capacity after you're waitlisted.  How else would they know you're still interested? :P

Just got off the Syracuse CCR waitlist! If anyone else is on that too..you've got less competition now:) Waiting for one more campus visit this month before deciding and freeing up spots at three or four programs!

Also, anyone have any idea when we might hear back about waitlist stuff? Like will most students wait to decide till right before April 15th? I'm pretty much considering my other waitlist spot as a no-go now. I afraid if I hold out for their program, it could mess up acceptances at other schools. Do you think programs will be offended if you take until April to decide? For the MA, I had everything figured out by mid-March; but this decision seems more difficult. 

38 minutes ago, cj cregg said:

Back to the sad saga of partners trying to get into school together:

If any medievalists want to decline their spots at Iowa or Fordham, we would be so grateful. And if any 20th/21st gender/sexuality/race people want to decline their spots at Riverside, that would be fantastic.

And then we could decide and decline the spots we hold, and hopefully open them up for some other people!

Hurry up, April...

You mentioned Iowa. So does this mean you or your partner have received a waitlist notification from them? Still in the dark with my status there!

Okay so I am no longer patiently waiting for Loyola Chicago. I just got the "waitlist" email. Actually, It was one of the "your fate has (kinda) been decided" emails that sent me to the portal. I don't know how to feel about ANOTHER waitlist

Well, things have just gotten rather complicated for me... just got an email from UMASS Amherst and learned that I am at the "very top" of the wait list... They're my #1 program and I would love to go, but Nebraska (my #1 program until six minutes ago) needs an answer from me by March 15. My nightmare scenario is, of course, finding out that I get into UMASS on March 16. 

I guess this is a long way of saying that if you're in at UMASS Amherst and you have always admired the wit and goodwill in my posts and thought to yourself, "Wow,I wish there was a way to become this person's friend..." your opportunity is here!