On 3/21/2017 at 6:11 AM, Peppermint&Rooibos said:

I turned down my offer at Iowa yesterday afternoon. I hope that helps (or has already helped) one of you out!

Thanks for keeping us anxious waiters posted!! 

I also saw on the results board that someone got accepted to Riverside off the wait list--hoping it was one of you guys @cj cregg @eatthatbee or soon will be!!

Does anyone know if you get an extended time to decide on your school if you get accepted off a waitlist around now, or in the coming weeks?  That is, would you still have to make your decision by April 15 if you were extended admission at the beginning of April, for example?

I'm waitlisted at three schools, one of which is a top-choice program for me but couldn't give me any information on my place at the waitlist (also a very good school, so I'm guessing fewer people turn it down).  My worry is that I'll get accepted at one of the other two sooner, and have to make a decision by April 15 when I may not hear from my top choice until after that :unsure:

21 hours ago, Said123 said:

Hi! Anyone heard back from UT Austin's waitlist? OR is declining their offer?

Rhet/Comp or Lit? I have a buddy who just officially accepted for Rhet/Comp, and the way I understand it they only accept about 2 ppl per year--of course, she could have been exaggerating about that number... :huh:

I contacted Ole Miss to get a rough estimation of when to expect an answer, and they told me that I am #5 in a 12 person wait list. I could not be more excited. I know it's risky to my emotions, but with all of the people I see waiting to reject their many offers until closer to the deadline, I'm taking this as an acceptance. Eeee! 

... In other news, was anyone accepted for their English MA program that doesn't plan to attend? 

On 2/15/2017 at 9:24 PM, shoestofollow said:

I will likely be declining a funded offer from Indiana-Bloomington, as I am leaning strongly toward UW-Madison. I hope someone from here gets my spot!

Did you already decline? I'm secretly hoping that you're the person ahead of me on this interdepartmental fellowship I'm waitlisted for...ugh.

I recently turned down a fully funded offer from IU with a first year fellowship. Will also soon be turning down a fully funded offer from the University of Washington, also with a first year fellowship. I've also withdrawn myself from the UCSB wait list. Hope people waiting from these schools see some movement! 

7 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

I recently turned down a fully funded offer from IU with a first year fellowship. Will also soon be turning down a fully funded offer from the University of Washington, also with a first year fellowship. I've also withdrawn myself from the UCSB wait list. Hope people waiting from these schools see some movement! 

I'm one of those people waiting for IU's first-year fellowship. If I hear something soon, I'll be thanking you =D

16 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Oh my gosh, how excellent!! So stoked that you got the fellowship, it really was a nice offer and I was sorry to turn it down. Will you be heading to Bloomington for sure in the fall?

I'm really excited. Thank you for declining! Right now it's between IU's PhD and Syracuse's MA. As of yesterday, I had been leaning more toward SYR, but now that my first year is funded, IU has changed the game completely. I'll know more when I go to IU tomorrow for Recruitment Day. I'm also trying to work out a way to visit Syr before the 15th.  

6 minutes ago, Joasia0429 said:

Wow @positivitize that's awesome! :) Congrats. (And how awesome to actually see the process in action, re: that you received the fellowship @RydraWong gave up.) 

I'm still on the waitlist at IU, fingers crossed. :) 

Thank you! Are you on the waitlist for acceptance or the waitlist for first year funding? Either way, I am seriously considering Syracuse's' MA as it's a much more 1-on-1 situation with much less intra-cohort competition, so my spot might open up. I'll know more when I go to visit. I think the 6 years of funding is really important, but I had kind of fallen in love with the PhD possibilities a MA from Syracuse would open up for me.

11 minutes ago, positivitize said:

Are you on the waitlist for acceptance or the waitlist for first year funding?

Waitlist for admission, with no info on how funding would work once accepted. So, for now, I'm just hanging in there and trying not to fret too much. 

1 hour ago, Joasia0429 said:

Waitlist for admission, with no info on how funding would work once accepted. So, for now, I'm just hanging in there and trying not to fret too much. 

Hang in there! I was accepted off of the waitlist so it can be done! I think they have multiple waitlists (ie, a waitlist for Americanists, a waitlist for Victorian Studies, ect). I think they would have notified you if you had no chance. A lot of decisions will be made over the next week or two. Don't lose hope! If they do admit you off the waitlist, be prepared for an offer funding years 2-6 but not year 1, as year 1 is covered by fellowship or not at all. Do you have an offer elsewhere?

38 minutes ago, positivitize said:

Hang in there! I was accepted off of the waitlist so it can be done! I think they have multiple waitlists (ie, a waitlist for Americanists, a waitlist for Victorian Studies, ect). I think they would have notified you if you had no chance. A lot of decisions will be made over the next week or two. Don't lose hope! If they do admit you off the waitlist, be prepared for an offer funding years 2-6 but not year 1, as year 1 is covered by fellowship or not at all. Do you have an offer elsewhere?

I do, but not at a school of the same caliber, unfortunately. I'm also waitlisted at two other places. So, I don't think that the offer I do have would be competitive enough to mention in negotiations.

I'd be happy to get into IU without funding for the first year. I'm not financially independent by any means, but I do have a scholarship that would help significantly should I be accepted and not receive the fellowship. I'd probably have to supplement that first year with some part-time work, but it would be doable. For now, the biggest challenge is getting in... Only time will tell--not to sound pithy or dramatic. Just trying not to look at the date each day and live the next few weeks in a timeless void until April 15th rolls around, haha. 

3 minutes ago, Joasia0429 said:

I do, but not at a school of the same caliber, unfortunately. I'm also waitlisted at two other places. So, I don't think that the offer I do have would be competitive enough to mention in negotiations.

I'd be happy to get into IU without funding for the first year. I'm not financially independent by any means, but I do have a scholarship that would help significantly should I be accepted and not receive the fellowship. I'd probably have to supplement that first year with some part-time work, but it would be doable. For now, the biggest challenge is getting in... Only time will tell--not to sound pithy or dramatic. Just trying not to look at the date each day and live the next few weeks in a timeless void until April 15th rolls around, haha. 

I know that feeling, man. I was there not too long ago.

Keep up the good fight.

@positivitize You guys have a recruitment day? Are all the admits from your program invited? I'm curious because I'm waitlisted for a fellowship and there's a good chance that the top candidate was from your department.

Edited by ThousandsHardships

Languishing on the waitlist at U Penn and Columbia. Losing my mind as each day comes and goes with no news from either program. Please, if anybody who has gotten accepted at either of these schools, would feel comfortable declining their offer, I will send all the positive vibes and good mojo your way. You and your progeny will get 10000 years of great luck and you'll never have to stand in really long lines ever again. Moreover, you'll never run out of gas! All for turning down an offer so that somebody else on the waitlist got into their dream school. 

I accepted my offer at Davis yesterday and sent out emails declining all of my other fully funded offers, so there should be some movement (hopefully) at Riverside, Madison, UGA, Iowa, and Santa Barbara. I also pulled my name off the waitlist at GWU (I was "very high" on it, apparently, whatever that means), so for what that's worth. I hope someone here gets one of these spots!

2 hours ago, ThousandsHardships said:

@positivitize You guys have a recruitment day? Are all the admits from your program invited? I'm curious because I'm waitlisted for a fellowship and there's a good chance that the top candidate was from your department.

To which program are you referring? IU or Syr?