Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Accepted offer from UC Riverside 

I just wanna give a shout out again to Schopenhauerboy. I think he was the first or one of the first to make a decision.

Just accepted an offer from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. :-)

There's no official standard. If you're waiting on a waitlist(s) to see if you get in, I'd email the school you'd go to otherwise and ask for a specific deadline. (If you're just indecisive, I would pick by the early morning.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2017 at 11:15 AM, MentalEngineer said:

Of the two, I only got into/visited Cincinnati, but I was really impressed. If you're interested in phil of mind, especially new and interesting approaches, it's a great choice. Plus it's starting to draw some notice in the rankings, so whatever value that holds is likely to increase during your time there.

 

On 4/9/2017 at 10:09 AM, dgswaim said:

This. I don't do phil mind, but my very strong impression when visiting was that the phil mind work that's going on there is super cool. Plus, it's all very empirically informed, and empirically informed philosophy is the best philosophy. Plus, Tony Chemero is a ridiculously nice and supportive guy, and very well respected in phil mind/psychology/cog sci circles. Also, the program has been placing very well over the last 5-6 years.

Thank you very much to the both of you! I decided to accept my offer from Cincinnati!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2017 at 0:24 PM, Nichi said:

Accepted offer from UC Riverside :D

Congrats!!

On 4/10/2017 at 7:44 PM, akraticfanatic said:

Just accepted the offer at Brandeis! (I finally got my financial aid info, pretty happy with it.) Declining BU and BC (MA programs) and Suffolk (MS in Ethics & Public Policy). 

Congrats! Great news!

On 4/10/2017 at 10:53 PM, Franzkafka said:

Any ideas about choosing between Florida State University and Rice University, especially as a mind/cognitive science person? Thx!

At this point, don't look at Leiter, just compare faculty to faculty. # of tenured, # of faculty (tenured or not) in your particular area; whether their work is in the particular area of cog sci you're interested in or whether their recent papers sound interesting to you (or, perhaps, you disagree with their approach, being too empirical or too armchair).

Also, look at placement yourself. Compare actual stats, and see if people are getting placed in your area of interest.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:12 PM, mano said:

does anyone know what's the exact time to decide? (Since 4/15 is Saturday I am not sure whether they expect us to decide by 4.00 pm).

I just asked one of the programs their hard deadline, because another program asked me specifically to get it to them by noon if at all possible. I'd ask the programs directly. Otherwise, I'd presume 5pm.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:21 PM, Nichi said:

There's no official standard. If you're waiting on a waitlist(s) to see if you get in, I'd email the school you'd go to otherwise and ask for a specific deadline. (If you're just indecisive, I would pick by the early morning.)

Yeah this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Naruto said:

 

Thank you very much to the both of you! I decided to accept my offer from Cincinnati!

Congrats! Sounds like a great program despite being unranked! One of my colleagues was hoping to get in there, so I know a bit about the strengths of the program (he's already accepted an offer somewhere else, btw).

Link to post
Share on other sites

i am having a very hard time to decide between two schools. I got the offer just yesterday. And, since I hadn't given it a chance, I haven't done enough research about the environment in the department and outside the university. Do you guys think that it is possible to ask for an extra one or two day to decide? And is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Edited by mano
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mano said:

Do you guys think that it is possible to ask for an extra one or two day to decide?

No.

Research that thing like it's a paper due today.

EDIT:

Yes, it is possible you can ask, but I really don't expect it and what I say above amounts to: I highly encourage you to get on it right way. Departments need to know asap. Ideally your advisors or DGS or mentor would've told you to rank all your programs from best to worst before any acceptances or rejections come in, so that you know exactly how you should respond should you get accepted somewhere. (e.g., turning down any offers that rank lower than that program). Of course, if they ranked nearly equal on your personal ranking, then scrutiny increases to the measure that they are identical offers.

Edited by Duns Eith
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidebysondheim said:

Yeah, really if you knew you were in the running you should have already been emailing grad students. 

oh I was in purgatory (secret wait list?)

Edited by mano
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mano said:

i am having a very hard time to decide between two schools. I got the offer just yesterday. And, since I hadn't given it a chance, I haven't done enough research about the environment in the department and outside the university. Do you guys think that it is possible to ask for an extra one or two day to decide? And is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Suffolk wanted a decision by the 15th and as of last week i didn't have an official offer from Brandeis. I asked Suffolk if it was possible to get a few extra days and they said I could have until the 21st. So I think it is worth asking. But if you have all the info, then you probably don't have a real excuse from their point of view. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what good berating mano is going to do. As to the situation at hand, you can ask, you'd be unwise to expect. That the decision day is a Saturday (and on a holiday weekend no less!) is unfortunate since it means less chance of contacting people, especially faculty. So do what you can. That said, one extra day (Easter) is thus unlikely to help much unless you're somewhere that doesn't celebrate. Or, I suppose if you're truly busy, then you might benefit. Given the gravity of the decision and unlikeliness of an extension, you'd be well-off to clear your schedule and figure it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SamStone said:

Just declined Boston University and Georgetown (with funding). 

And I plan to accept my offer from Riverside! 

Congrats! 

1 hour ago, hector549 said:

It's done. I'm going to Milwaukee!

Congrats! From your other post, I can tell you're quite happy to go there. It must feel good to have a decision!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am mainly posting this so that future applicants can know the upshot of my application season. I was accepted with full funding and a tuition remission to Texas Tech, and I will be accepting this offer. I was informally notified of the department's decision to offer me funding in the eleventh hour on April 15th, preceeding an official letter from the department. I am so incredibly honored, relieved, and ecstatic just to be able to go somewhere, and I am very grateful to the faculty at TTU for accepting me. I'll see some of you again on here in two years! Final outcome: 1a/1w/9r

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, I_am_the_last_Thylacine said:

I am mainly posting this so that future applicants can know the upshot of my application season. I was accepted with full funding and a tuition remission to Texas Tech, and I will be accepting this offer. I was informally notified of the department's decision to offer me funding in the eleventh hour on April 15th, preceeding an official letter from the department. I am so incredibly honored, relieved, and ecstatic just to be able to go somewhere, and I am very grateful to the faculty at TTU for accepting me. I'll see some of you again on here in two years! Final outcome: 1a/1w/9r

This is such great news! I hope you love the program!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.