Anyone else feeling hopeless?

Ilikekitties

3 hours ago, cannonfodder said:

I just got accepted to one place. Finally, I am relieved! I have 4 other schools in Canada to go.

3 hours ago, nobraintrain said:

All I got were two waitlists. Just got an offer from one (although today that school is officially closed) and the other school simply doesn't make offers to the waitlisted till 4/15.

Don't give up! 

Congrats to you both! I got a rejection from a school (2/3 rejections now). Waiting on my final university and I'm feeling pessimistic about the whole ordeal now. :-(

I agree with nobraintrain, as I received a phone call and offer from a university late yesterday afternoon that I thought wasn't possible. I had not heard from the university since February 1, telling me my app was being sent to the department. Also have waitlisted schools that won't make a decision until next week. It's not quite time to give up because my situation is a perfect example of that.

The term 'hopeless' seems apt right now. I just got rejected from my 12th school, which was also my top choice and best hope of admission. There's technically one more school out there, Emory, but they haven't responded to me in any way since October (and when they did it was via form-email with dates from 2015).

I honestly thought a career in academia was for me, and was incredibly excited at the prospect of starting my PhD this Fall. Instead, I'm wondering what I did wrong, or what is wrong with me for even applying to begin with.

I had thought of all the hours spent away from my family, and at times putting in lackluster performance at work in order to make an interview happen, as an investment for my future. Now it just seems like a massive waste.

I don't know if I'll ever be more than the 3rd best candidate to apply to a program, which is a problem when all the programs seem to only take one or two people each year.

So, yes. I'm feeling hopeless right about now.

Feeling SO hopeless. I applied to a program with an intended Summer 2017 program start and haven't heard anything! I emailed last week to check in and they responded that my application was complete and "ready for committee review." So, that leads me to believe that they have yet to review them, which does give me hope! But, with summer start rapidly approaching, I'm getting very nervous and feeling hopeless.

Sigh. This process is so draining.