avocado48

UT LBJ 2017

Recommended Posts

Admitted Students weekend is the 24th and 25th of March. That's really soon given that they just sent my acceptance today. 

Also, it conflicts with the premiere of the new season of RuPaul's Drag Race and the Texas Independence Relay. More importantly, though, that's a really short turnaround for people who live out of town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also not heard back yet (MGPS program).  I sent in an incomplete application on December 13, before scholarship deadline, but they didn't tell me it was incomplete until a month or two later (I had inadvertantly attached the same file twice rather than two different files, so they were missing a document).  If I remember right, they accept aplication until April 1, so I guess I just got bumped back to that time....

This is all speculation, of course.  The fact that others have also not heard back yet shows that it could be something else.  In any case, I'm going to withdraw my application so someone on the waitlist can take my spot.  You snooze, you lose, LBJ! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think I'm going to accept another offer too even though Austin was my #1 pick because I've received all of my other acceptance letters more than a month ago, and LBJ is just playing with my patience now. I've even emailed then a couple of weeks ago and the decision was supposed to be made 'shortly'... still nothing though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LifeOnMars said:

I have also not heard back yet (MGPS program).  I sent in an incomplete application on December 13, before scholarship deadline, but they didn't tell me it was incomplete until a month or two later (I had inadvertantly attached the same file twice rather than two different files, so they were missing a document).  If I remember right, they accept aplication until April 1, so I guess I just got bumped back to that time....

This is all speculation, of course.  The fact that others have also not heard back yet shows that it could be something else.  In any case, I'm going to withdraw my application so someone on the waitlist can take my spot.  You snooze, you lose, LBJ! 

 

 

3 hours ago, chipsandqueso said:

Yeah I think I'm going to accept another offer too even though Austin was my #1 pick because I've received all of my other acceptance letters more than a month ago, and LBJ is just playing with my patience now. I've even emailed then a couple of weeks ago and the decision was supposed to be made 'shortly'... still nothing though. 

If you don't have to make a decision right now, why withdraw or accept someone else? I found this process frustrating, but it's still a great program. I don't know what has gone on the admissions department this year, because this isn't normal, but, living in Austin, I have several close friends who go to LBJ and this is not ordinary for the school. I worry that it has to do with some software error. If it's your number one pick, and if you love chipsandqueso, it's worth giving another call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied to the MGPS program on 12/15 and although some of my supporting documents (recommendations, etc.) were not submitted until later that month, I am still really surprised that I haven't heard anything about the status of my application. I emailed LBJ in January and was told that I would have a decision by late February/early March, but no such luck. I emailed them again last week to inquire about my status and have still not received a reply, even though several business days have passed. Particularly considering this a graduate program and people clearly have lives to plan around, I find this very disappointing. I live in Austin and know people who are currently enrolled in LBJ and, even so, I'm not sure I'm willing to consider this program at this point. 

Edited by WMK21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, it has felt ridiculous to me from the outset that LBJ has a deadline of 12/1 but then doesn't get back to you until 3 months later.  It doesn't take that long to review an application.  I applied to schools with Jan. 5th and Jan. 15th deadlines and heard back from them before LBJ, some of them a little more than a month later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 3dender said:

FWIW, it has felt ridiculous to me from the outset that LBJ has a deadline of 12/1 but then doesn't get back to you until 3 months later.  It doesn't take that long to review an application.  I applied to schools with Jan. 5th and Jan. 15th deadlines and heard back from them before LBJ, some of them a little more than a month later.

I feel like, other than Chicago and, to a lesser extent, Michigan, that was my expectation for almost every program. Harvard and Berkeley had their applications due two weeks before LBJ's and I only heard from them the week before I heard from LBJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Obecalp said:

 

If you don't have to make a decision right now, why withdraw or accept someone else? 

It was never a top pick for me, and I got into other places I'd rather go anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to echo many of you: I've heard from five of the six schools I applied to and nothing from LBJ. I'd be ok with it if there was open communication, but that hasn't been the case. Every day I've been waiting for them means going lower on grad housing lists at other schools and having the peace of mind knowing my future is secure. I'm just going to mentally expel them from my options and go with one of the other five schools that accepted me. Their loss.     

Edited by jumpman85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 0:44 PM, jumpman85 said:

I just want to echo many of you: I've heard from five of the six schools I applied to and nothing from LBJ. I'd be ok with it if there was open communication, but that hasn't been the case. Every day I've been waiting for them means going lower on grad housing lists at other schools and having the peace of mind knowing my future is secure. I'm just going to mentally expel them from my options and go with one of the other five schools that accepted me. Their loss.     

This is my exact same thought process. I heard back from my other four school that I was accepted a month and a half ago....UT was high on my list but I'm going to move forward with someone else. Oh well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 9:44 AM, jumpman85 said:

I just want to echo many of you: I've heard from five of the six schools I applied to and nothing from LBJ. I'd be ok with it if there was open communication, but that hasn't been the case. Every day I've been waiting for them means going lower on grad housing lists at other schools and having the peace of mind knowing my future is secure. I'm just going to mentally expel them from my options and go with one of the other five schools that accepted me. Their loss.     

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm probably going to just pull the trigger and take the money the Bush School awarded me and run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to someone that I know at the school yesterday because I was a bit concerned that people aren't hearing back. 

She clarified that there are some people who would not have heard anything yet due to the rolling admissions process. She did stress, though, that anyone with questions or concerns (or who applied early in the applications process but who still hasn't heard) should reach out directly so that they can be aware of any problems that might have stopped your notification and so they can help resolve your concerns.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the admitted students' weekend this past weekend. Lots of thoughts that I'm happy to share! PM me directly if you want. I will say that the building was very nice and well-appointed, and that the staff and faculty were incredibly organized, eager, and gracious. They put together a great 2 days' worth of events. The staff was very, very impressive and clearly have wonderful relationships with students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard back today, in case anyone else is still waiting. It's a moot point by now, but the admissions office is still fucntioning.  I got into the MGPS program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats. And likewise. I already accepted my offer from UCSD, though. Maybe it's for the best since I'd like to have an Asia-Pacific oriented career and their quant programs seem pretty comparable . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also got an acceptance email from LBJ today. Unless I get a substantial financial aid package though I'm still probably going to attend A&M, since out-of-state at UT pretty damn high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


That is so weird... There were tons of MGPS at the admitted student event, so they had obviously already sent out SOME acceptances. Really weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ingo93 said:

I also got an acceptance email from LBJ today. Unless I get a substantial financial aid package though I'm still probably going to attend A&M, since out-of-state at UT pretty damn high.

For the past several years (something like 7), the LBJ school has given in-state tuition to everyone. The UT system has the second largest endowment of any school in the country. Something like $24 Billion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now