Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

OptimiscallyAnxious

I noticed that in past years there had been a waitlist thread so I thought I would create one. 

I've been waitlisted at 2 programs. I really fell in love with one of them and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get off the waitlist and into the program. 

Best of luck to all of those in the same situation. 

9 minutes ago, Lucyshoneypie said:

Hi!

I was just wondering if you received an official waitlist mail, or just assumed you were upon not getting rejections yet.

In both cases I was notified by graduate coordinator that I was being waitlisted. They also asked whether I was interested in being on the list and that I keep in touch while making my decisions.

3 minutes ago, fritolay said:

I'm still waitlisted for UCSB's school psych emphasis in their combined program. Seriously hoping I end up getting accepted since it's my top choice!

Best of luck to you. Do you have any idea what the likelihood of getting admitted from the waitlist is?

@OptimiscallyAnxious Thanks! No idea really. I do know it's a short waitlist because it was a small group of us at interviews. All the applicants I met at interview day were really great so I can't be mad! Just keeping my fingers crossed :D

7 minutes ago, fritolay said:

@OptimiscallyAnxious Thanks! No idea really. I do know it's a short waitlist because it was a small group of us at interviews. All the applicants I met at interview day were really great so I can't be mad! Just keeping my fingers crossed :D

I feel the same way about everyone I met at the interviews for UCI's Psychology & Social Behavior program. They were all so wonderful, talented, and qualified that any of them would make a great addition to the program. However, I wouldn't mind if the declined and went elsewhere so I could be admitted. 

1 hour ago, AuntieGrandma said:

Wait listed here too. I have 2 acceptances which is amazing but wait listed at 2 amazing programs. Wondering how long you plan to wait if you have a solid acceptances too? 

Congratulations on your acceptances! I will wait as long as I can in hopes of getting accepted of the waitlist at my top choice. However, I declined to be considered at the waitlist at one of programs. But I'm also going to decline one of the two admission offers I have received as soon as I decide which of the two programs I prefer to attend.

11 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Congratulations on your acceptances! I will wait as long as I can in hopes of getting accepted of the waitlist at my top choice. However, I declined to be considered at the waitlist at one of programs. But I'm also going to decline one of the two admission offers I have received as soon as I decide which of the two programs I prefer to attend.

I think I will do the same. I was actually accepted to a Master level program that I will decline right away since it was my back-up plan. I should be able to decide between the 2 accepted programs once I know more about funding from one of them. However, I do think that I will keep my wait listed programs in play since I really like them both. I just think it will be hard to not accept the "sure thing" as deadlines start to get closer. The wait list status sure does complicate things!

3 hours ago, AuntieGrandma said:

Wait listed here too. I have 2 acceptances which is amazing but wait listed at 2 amazing programs. Wondering how long you plan to wait if you have a solid acceptances too? 

I think you are truly being selfish holding onto that many offers. You need to make a list and rank them and let go of something. You are holding onto spots that people are waiting for. People who don't have any accpetances and are waiting for your spots. 

58 minutes ago, nervous_nellie said:

I think you are truly being selfish holding onto that many offers. You need to make a list and rank them and let go of something. You are holding onto spots that people are waiting for. People who don't have any accpetances and are waiting for your spots. 

@AuntieGrandma only has 2 actual admission offers and they haven't even received the pertinent financial information to make the decision between those programs. And they stated that once they had the information they would make their decision and decline one of those 2 programs.

Edited by OptimiscallyAnxious

35 minutes ago, nervous_nellie said:

I am letting go of the Masters offer. How can I possibly decide between the other 2 without knowing about funding? The other 2 are wait lists which mean that I have nothing. How is this selfish? You will need to explain yourself if you are going to start name calling. Wow!!

6 minutes ago, AuntieGrandma said:

I am letting go of the Masters offer. How can I possibly decide between the other 2 without knowing about funding? The other 2 are wait lists which mean that I have nothing. How is this selfish? You will need to explain yourself if you are going to start name calling. Wow!!

Generally, holding onto more than 2 (or really 1) offers is frowned upon. Of course, it's hard to know if you don't know the funding. So if you haven't already, I would call and ask about it. If the funding is the one issue that distinguishes between the two programs, figuring this out is important. However, generally deciding about climate and the program's pros/cons should be sufficient to decline offers. 

So Tldr good luck getting sorting things out quickly and then letting go of a spot you don't want. :)

Edited by Clinapp2017

43 minutes ago, nervous_nellie said:

1 minute ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Generally, holding onto more than 2 (or really 1) offers is frowned upon. Of course, it's hard to know if you don't know the funding. So if you haven't already, I would call and ask about it. If the funding is the one issue that distinguishes between the two programs, figuring this out is important. However, generally deciding about climate and the program's pros/cons should be sufficient to decline offers. 

I only have 2 offers and I have no information on funding from one of them. I have been told that I will receive that information in mid March approximately. I'm sorry if anyone finds this wrong, but I am not in a position to make a decision without funding information. I'm sure that I'm not alone. 

11 minutes ago, AuntieGrandma said:

While nervous Nellie could've worded their comment much better I think its believed that if you're on the waitlist of a less preferred program and have an offer from a preferred program then you also should count waitlist as 'offer to let go'. Its kind of murky but I hope you get your funding information soon and you're happy with it! :)

3 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

While nervous Nellie could've worded their comment much better I think its believed that if you're on the waitlist of a less preferred program and have an offer from a preferred program then you also should count waitlist as 'offer to let go'. Its kind of murky but I hope you get your funding information soon and you're happy with it! :)

The 2 waitlisted programs are my top 2 choices. I hope that I have clarified my position. I fully understand the need to let go of offers if I have another preferable offer (remember, I am on wait lists for preferred programs myself). Unfortunately, at this point I do not. 

3 minutes ago, AuntieGrandma said:

The 2 waitlisted programs are my top 2 choices. I hope that I have clarified my position. I fully understand the need to let go of offers if I have another preferable offer (remember, I am on wait lists for preferred programs myself). Unfortunately, at this point I do not. 

No worries, I know what its like to be in a grey area for your preferred program!  Best of luck!

2 hours ago, nervous_nellie said:

Sorry, I missed the part about waiting for funding. But you should be able to decide once you receive funding. 

Grown ups recognize when they've made a mistake and they apologize. Well done. This process has all of our nerves frayed.

25 minutes ago, Brittabot said:

What? I'm so confused. Why should someone give up their waitlist spot at a top choice until he/she accepts a different offer? That wouldn't give anyone else an offer

It wasn't worded as well as id like but what I meant was if you're waitlisted at your #1 & #3 but have an acceptance to your #2 It's expected for you to let go of #3 But okay to keep your #1 waitlist spot.

people do get accepted off the waitlist (especially if co-mentorship or additional streams of funding become available) and freeing up spots can help make the process go faster.

Edited by 8BitJourney