Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

OptimiscallyAnxious

11 minutes ago, PNIplz said:

I interviewed at 2 locations for clinical psych and I'm waitlisted at both! So glad this thread exists.

Fingers crossed for you!

I actually wish the process was similar to match/postdoc days where there was 24 hours to sort out offers, waitlists and rejections. Or at least some non-punitive way of coordinating this entire process. It would suck if 2 applicants were holding offers and waitlists spots for the others schools.

The worst part is that I am the top choice at one of the schools but my POI was unable to make an official offer due to senior faculty status -- needed to first ensure that junior faculty and smaller labs fill their spots first. Ugh. Being first but last...it's worse than normal waitlist...

Congrats to everyone offered admissions! We all know how competitive and challenging this process has been, so I am genuinely happy for you! I have received 5 rejection letters from Seton Hall (counseling), Suffolk University (clinical), U Texas at Austin (counseling), University of Miami (counseling) and Berkeley (social/personality). I've been preparing to take 1-2 years off to gain clinical experience in the field and then reapply for admission. Surprisingly, I was not discourage with the rejection letters, as I am a senior applying directly to Ph.D. programs. I applied to a great number of schools, but because I've only heard from 5 out of about 17 I figured at this point in the game I probably did not get in. 

Today, I received an email from Rowan University's Clinical Ph.D. program informing me that I've been waitlisted. I am extremely grateful because this is clearly preferred news over a rejection letter. There is still hope! I thought I'd share.

Please, please, if you were offered admission to Rowan and plan to deny please do so ASAP. 

Edited by currentlypsychoanalyzing

I was waitlisted at University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University. REALLY hoping to get into OSU but I think I a lot of other people would have to turn down their offers before I get an offer :( However they were able to provide me with some good feedback on strengthening my application by adding more research experience since it's mostly been clinical for the past 6 years so that was encouraging. If i don't get in this year I will definitely re-apply this fall or in the near future. 

Hi all, I'm first alternate at my top choice school (which has been my top choice since before I applied) and I'm super disappointed, especially considering it's extremely rare for people to say no to this program/PI. Also, I got extremely positive feedback from the POI at the end of the interview as well as by email after the interview, so it came as a bit of a surprise as well (the POI literally said "I could not possibly feel better about you"). I'm trying to just have faith that everything will end up like it's supposed to, but also, this sucks! Any tips on how to cope? Right now, I'm basically putting the idea that I could get off the waitlist out of my mind altogether, since it is so rare...

2 hours ago, elephantbird said:

Hi all, I'm first alternate at my top choice school (which has been my top choice since before I applied) and I'm super disappointed, especially considering it's extremely rare for people to say no to this program/PI. Also, I got extremely positive feedback from the POI at the end of the interview as well as by email after the interview, so it came as a bit of a surprise as well (the POI literally said "I could not possibly feel better about you"). I'm trying to just have faith that everything will end up like it's supposed to, but also, this sucks! Any tips on how to cope? Right now, I'm basically putting the idea that I could get off the waitlist out of my mind altogether, since it is so rare...

I got similar feedback at a school I was waitlisted at. Was waitlisted and it totally sucks. Let's hope for good news for both of us!

5 hours ago, elephantbird said:

If worse comes to worse and your not accepted, you can always collaborative across programs or at least ask this person if they would be willing to be on your masters and dissertation board. There is always post-doc too! But until you hear for certain, there is still hope. That school may not be their top choice if their holding the position.

16 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

If worse comes to worse and your not accepted, you can always collaborative across programs or at least ask this person if they would be willing to be on your masters and dissertation board. There is always post-doc too! But until you hear for certain, there is still hope. That school may not be their top choice if their holding the position.

All very good points. Thank you for helping keep things in perspective for me!!

Was interviewed at Marquette University and just got notice today that I was waitlisted. I was in their initial group of interviewees so I assume I am toward the top of their waitlist. One of those who were interviewing the same day as me for the same lab  also withdrew her application so I have to be toward the top of the wait list... But not sure what to think at this point. I haven't heard anything at all from UW-Milwaukee.. I am in a panic mode and I really hope to get accepted to Marquette.. I hope the people in front of me make their decisions quickly

Just a heads up, my current mentor told me that usually wait-list people aren't notified until mid-late March since that's really when most people make decisions unless they are offered at their dream school earlier and withdraw everywhere else.

30 minutes ago, PNIplz said:

I'm honestly thinking it's good news though...whoever is ahead of me must have this school as a back up. Here's to hoping they get their first choice!! :)

I think they're having funding issues, rather than me being on a waitlist, because I've inquired about my status and they mentioned they really want to have me there and they're working hard to make it happen (and I was nominated for a fellowship), so hopefully that all works out!

Just now, JacobW83 said:

I think they're having funding issues, rather than me being on a waitlist, because I've inquired about my status and they mentioned they really want to have me there and they're working hard to make it happen (and I was nominated for a fellowship), so hopefully that all works out!

That sounds a lot more like an offer to me! Congrats on that! Another school I'm waitlisted at is having the same funding issue...my POI had to let younger faculty fill spots in their lab first, as is typical in situations like that. 

1 minute ago, JacobW83 said:

I've got my fingers crossed for you!