Jump to content
OptimiscallyAnxious

Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

Recommended Posts

Just found out after a lot of inquiry that my application for the Clinical Psych PhD program at Milwaukee was not approved. I don't know why it wasn't approved or if they just weren't interested in me, but that is very disheartening.. Still praying for Marquette. They were my #1 anyway.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone. Could use a little advice. 

I am currently waitlisted at my top two programs and have been accepted to what we will call my #3. Happy to have an acceptance but am in a dilemma. 

The program I am accepted to is not nearly as appealing to me as my two waitlist options. Do I sit on both waitlist options, hoping one will pan out and wait until the last minute to accept my offer at my #3? I feel bad doing this, knowing someone may really want the acceptance I have but is waitlisted. But I also feel like turning down an offer and hoping a waitlist option pans out is a real gamble. Am I being a jerk for holding on to two waitlist options eventhough I have an acceptance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Hi everyone. Could use a little advice. 

I am currently waitlisted at my top two programs and have been accepted to what we will call my #3. Happy to have an acceptance but am in a dilemma. 

The program I am accepted to is not nearly as appealing to me as my two waitlist options. Do I sit on both waitlist options, hoping one will pan out and wait until the last minute to accept my offer at my #3? I feel bad doing this, knowing someone may really want the acceptance I have but is waitlisted. But I also feel like turning down an offer and hoping a waitlist option pans out is a real gamble. Am I being a jerk for holding on to two waitlist options eventhough I have an acceptance?

First- congrats!

You'd be a jerk if you held on to multiple acceptances. Rule of thumb is to hold on to 1 acceptance at any given time to avoid a bottleneck across the country. You only have 1 acceptance. I see no harm in waiting on these waitlists to get into a better fit program. You being on the waitlists doesn't stop the admission process from continuing. you have my blessing lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Hi everyone. Could use a little advice. 

I am currently waitlisted at my top two programs and have been accepted to what we will call my #3. Happy to have an acceptance but am in a dilemma. 

The program I am accepted to is not nearly as appealing to me as my two waitlist options. Do I sit on both waitlist options, hoping one will pan out and wait until the last minute to accept my offer at my #3? I feel bad doing this, knowing someone may really want the acceptance I have but is waitlisted. But I also feel like turning down an offer and hoping a waitlist option pans out is a real gamble. Am I being a jerk for holding on to two waitlist options eventhough I have an acceptance?

I agree with the juhidee119. I'll add that APA's videos on the application process mentions that when you're in this situation you can call/email your POI at school #1/#2 and let them know that you have an acceptance to another program but you feel that #1/#2 is a better fit and you will not accept another school until you hear back from them. They said it can bring you up the waitlist (if you're not at the top of it already).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

let them know that you have an acceptance to another program but you feel that #1/#2 is a better fit and you will not accept another school until you hear back from them. They said it can bring you up the waitlist (if you're not at the top of it already).

I was/am in this situation. What you mentioned (emailing #1 school and letting them know they were a better fit) was advice I was previously given, so I did this. However, it didn't seem to work in my favor? Response a bit wishy washy; pretty much encouraged me to take the other offer due to a long wait list. I had not heard from them post-interview so it was news to me that I was now wait-listed and it almost sounded like a rejection. Thoughts? I did email them back to re-emphasize they were my a better fit for me compared to other program, and I would be willing to wait if the list moved. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if I hear back from #1 saying that I'm now rejected. I got the feeling it was almost worse to follow up with them and let them know about the other offer. I have no idea though. If I'm not rejected, why would the admins tell to take something else? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad that this forum exists! Rejected at my top choice, waitlisted at four other programs. One of the 4 I would probably not attend, so may take myself off that waitlist. Being on waitlists is the worst.... Hoping for good news for all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2017 at 11:29 AM, eveline said:

I was/am in this situation. What you mentioned (emailing #1 school and letting them know they were a better fit) was advice I was previously given, so I did this. However, it didn't seem to work in my favor? Response a bit wishy washy; pretty much encouraged me to take the other offer due to a long wait list. I had not heard from them post-interview so it was news to me that I was now wait-listed and it almost sounded like a rejection. Thoughts? I did email them back to re-emphasize they were my a better fit for me compared to other program, and I would be willing to wait if the list moved. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if I hear back from #1 saying that I'm now rejected. I got the feeling it was almost worse to follow up with them and let them know about the other offer. I have no idea though. If I'm not rejected, why would the admins tell to take something else? 

Honestly you emailing them probably did not drop you lower on the waitlist. They most likely already had you at a certain spot and if you were lower on the waitlist (not in the top 5 or so) then they may not have wanted you to get your hopes up too high. But I can't recall a school looking negatively on an already accepted applicant showing more interest in their school, especially with how competitive the process is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Honestly you emailing them probably did not drop you lower on the waitlist. They most likely already had you at a certain spot and if you were lower on the waitlist (not in the top 5 or so) then they may not have wanted you to get your hopes up too high. But I can't recall a school looking negatively on an already accepted applicant showing more interest in their school, especially with how competitive the process is.

Thanks @8BitJourney, that makes a lot of sense. Wish I knew where I was for sure on the waitlist, but yeah, I guess it doesn't seem as though I'm very high on the list :unsure:

Edited by eveline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2017 at 8:26 AM, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Hi everyone. Could use a little advice. 

I am currently waitlisted at my top two programs and have been accepted to what we will call my #3. Happy to have an acceptance but am in a dilemma. 

The program I am accepted to is not nearly as appealing to me as my two waitlist options. Do I sit on both waitlist options, hoping one will pan out and wait until the last minute to accept my offer at my #3? I feel bad doing this, knowing someone may really want the acceptance I have but is waitlisted. But I also feel like turning down an offer and hoping a waitlist option pans out is a real gamble. Am I being a jerk for holding on to two waitlist options eventhough I have an acceptance?

In this scenario, I don't think it is a "jerk move" to hold on to the waitlist option- as the 15th approaches, you should hear back, just be sure to let #3 know with a week or 2 to go before the 15th so that your spot can go to someone else. Really hope that it works out for you :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Slothanos15 said:

Any word from Temple for those on the waitlist? Man, this process is giving me a stress ulcer haha

I was wait listed but the initial offer was accepted, so Temple is out for me. I'm guessing we have different POIs if you haven't heard anything. Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, eeepsych13 said:

I was wait listed but the initial offer was accepted, so Temple is out for me. I'm guessing we have different POIs if you haven't heard anything. Best of luck!

Did the DCT contact you to let you know that the initial offer had been accepted, or did you reach out to him? Thank you! And I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I'm sure you have great schools still ahead! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slothanos15 said:

Did the DCT contact you to let you know that the initial offer had been accepted, or did you reach out to him? Thank you! And I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I'm sure you have great schools still ahead! 

My POI emailed me, and CC'ed the DCT. This may be different depending on what your POI decides to do. And thank you very much! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another waitlist notification and both due to decreased funding. Feedback from all POIs was that there is very little I can do to improve my application which I find so much worse than having a pin-point shortcoming that I can improve if I have to apply again. I know its not over till April 15 but I know that I'll be worrying till then and not dedicating as much focus to work :/

ETA: And to salt the wound an acceptance to the program I was waitlisted at got posted right after I read my status. Going off the forums for a while to meditate.

Edited by 8BitJourney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Another waitlist notification and both due to decreased funding. Feedback from all POIs was that there is very little I can do to improve my application which I find so much worse than having a pin-point shortcoming that I can improve if I have to apply again. I know its not over till April 15 but I know that I'll be worrying till then and not dedicating as much focus to work :/

ETA: And to salt the wound an acceptance to the program I was waitlisted at got posted right after I read my status. Going off the forums for a while to meditate.

Same thing happened to me regarding funding at one of my top choices. POI was told they would be allowed to take two...came back and was told they could only take one so it was the waitlist for me. Stay strong my friend, I will be sending you all the good vibes!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Friends,

Greeting from SE Asia. I am Susan from Myanmar.

Have anyone heard of SID program of Brandeis University (Heller School)? I applied to that program since 7th January and admission team emailed me that I need to wait four to six weeks after admission deadline  (15th January) . As more than 5 weeks after I had applied to that program, I am really stressful for waiting the admission results. I am so tired of being waitlisted !

Furthermore, I get success in scholarship to support my study at Heller but I need to promptly submit admission acceptance from Heller school. I am so worried since I don't wanna lose any chance to extend my education in America. I tried so hard to get success in applying scholarship and now admission acceptance from Heller school is the last thing I need to make my dreams come true. I don't know how to do with delay.

Any suggestion and thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, psychlife4me said:

Same thing happened to me regarding funding at one of my top choices. POI was told they would be allowed to take two...came back and was told they could only take one so it was the waitlist for me. Stay strong my friend, I will be sending you all the good vibes!! :)

The funding struggle is real. I think programs are pro-actively freaking out due to the new administration. 

I actually had a program tell me due to wanting to secure funding for existing students they were only taking ONE student in their social program! ONE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2017 at 6:15 AM, That Research Lady said:

I agree with the juhidee119. I'll add that APA's videos on the application process mentions that when you're in this situation you can call/email your POI at school #1/#2 and let them know that you have an acceptance to another program but you feel that #1/#2 is a better fit and you will not accept another school until you hear back from them. They said it can bring you up the waitlist (if you're not at the top of it already).

Thanks so much for the information. I was waitlisted at my first choice and I wasn't sure whether I should update the program on my acceptances to other programs. I was just going to wait as long as I could before committing in hopes of being accepted off waitlist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another waitlist notification. That makes 3/4. I'm starting to feel like everyone is on in a joke but me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Another waitlist notification. That makes 3/4. I'm starting to feel like everyone is on in a joke but me.

What I have heard from many professors is that there is a particularly good crop of applicants this year. Clearly you are among them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, schizometric said:

What I have heard from many professors is that there is a particularly good crop of applicants this year. Clearly you are among them.

I've also heard this, it seems a good number of programs are bringing in more applicants than usual to interview because there are so many competitive people, but at the same time there are funding concerns due to the political climate so some departments have even tighter budgets than they anticipated. It's a rough combination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.