Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

OptimiscallyAnxious

18 minutes ago, schizometric said:

What I have heard from many professors is that there is a particularly good crop of applicants this year. Clearly you are among them.

I keep hearing that from potential POIs and while I appreciate that they take the time to soften the blow it doesn't tell me what my shortcomings were/what keeps me as just a second-tier applicant. With that info I could at least prepare for the worst and know what to focus on for next cycle (problem solving/planning helps me cope).

21 minutes ago, JacobW83 said:

I've also heard this, it seems a good number of programs are bringing in more applicants than usual to interview because there are so many competitive people, but at the same time there are funding concerns due to the political climate so some departments have even tighter budgets than they anticipated. It's a rough combination. 

I've seen this funding issue as well. The majority of my interviews had no less than 6 students competing for one spot per faculty member. My friends who are current PhD students said they've never seen anything like it in the past few years so clearly this year was full of talented individuals!

42 minutes ago, tanm55 said:

do most POIs just accept one student or could they potentially accept two?

Depends on the type of program, the funding this year, other faculty needs, etc. I would say typically, at least in Clinical and often Counseling at least (my two interest areas), POIs take just one. Sometimes they'll take 2 if they are lower on students and/or have spare funding. 

20 minutes ago, JacobW83 said:

Depends on the type of program, the funding this year, other faculty needs, etc. I would say typically, at least in Clinical and often Counseling at least (my two interest areas), POIs take just one. Sometimes they'll take 2 if they are lower on students and/or have spare funding. 

alright, good deal--thanks!

I was just notified I have been denied/rejected off of the waitlist from my top choice. I'm sad but also relieved. I can now accept my other offer which I have grown to love as time goes by.

Best of luck to all of those still waitlisted, may you have good news soon. 

15 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I was just notified I have been denied/rejected off of the waitlist from my top choice. I'm sad but also relieved. I can now accept my other offer which I have grown to love as time goes by.

Best of luck to all of those still waitlisted, may you have good news soon. 

Sorry you were rejected from waitlist...but UC Irvine is a GREAT school!! Congrats!! 

11 minutes ago, PNIplz said:

Sorry you were rejected from waitlist...but UC Irvine is a GREAT school!! Congrats!! 

Thank you, I have grown to love my ultimate choice very much. I'm quite happy and feel very fortunate to have this opportunity. 

Ugh, I found out that I am wait-listed from my second choice and I have only been accepted into one program (my third choice). I am worried because I only found out I was on the list because I called the university to ask for a status update. This probably means that I am low on the list, right?

39 minutes ago, HopefullyDr said:

Ugh, I found out that I am wait-listed from my second choice and I have only been accepted into one program (my third choice). I am worried because I only found out I was on the list because I called the university to ask for a status update. This probably means that I am low on the list, right?

Not necessarily. Some schools don't tell people their wait list status because if the first choice rejects, they would move on ASAP to the second choice to accept them. If you tell someone they are wait-listed, they might be less inclined to wait for your offer unless they are desperate. 

I'm currently waitlisted at Georgia Southern and Baylor. 

Fortunately I got one acceptance from IUP and I plan to accept it if I'm not accepted off a waitlist. I really like the program but unfortunately it is not fully funded so it would be much more difficult to handle financially than the other two.

Finally received an official waitlist email yesterday from UMKC Clinical PhD program. Rejected from 4 programs and still haven't heard from 6 programs... getting a little worried. I wish everyone struggling to cope like me the best of luck :(

Not been told I'm on any waitlist, but I just haven't heard at all from a couple of the programs I interviewed at. I'm confused because I thought they would have at least outright rejected me by now. Be honest, is there any hope at all? I've essentially resigned myself irregardless. 

6 hours ago, Sherrinford said:

Not been told I'm on any waitlist, but I just haven't heard at all from a couple of the programs I interviewed at. I'm confused because I thought they would have at least outright rejected me by now. Be honest, is there any hope at all? I've essentially resigned myself irregardless. 

Some programs just keep going down the list after an interview but don't notify people they're on a waitlist. Outright rejections happen pretty quickly after an interview. It's most likely people are holding on to offers from the program. 

Did the programs tell you when you should be hearing back from them? If it's past the date, you can email/call for an update. 

Theres always hope until 4/15- horrible, crippling anxiety provoking hope, but it's there! 

Good luck!! 

Does anyone know when movement starts to happen on the wait list? I have heard in mid-march people start making decisions which then affects wait listers. My top choice still has two offers out; I would like to give my second choice (that I received an offer from 2.5 weeks ago) a "yes" or "no" soon...I hate making them wait but I don't want to give a definite answer until I hear that my top choice has no offers out anymore. 

On 3/1/2017 at 5:44 PM, 8BitJourney said:

I keep hearing that from potential POIs and while I appreciate that they take the time to soften the blow it doesn't tell me what my shortcomings were/what keeps me as just a second-tier applicant. With that info I could at least prepare for the worst and know what to focus on for next cycle (problem solving/planning helps me cope).

I ask specifically for brief "feedback" on what separated me from top candidates, outside of "research fit." The professor told me that honestly it was my GPA.

On 3/9/2017 at 7:37 AM, juhidee119 said:

Some programs just keep going down the list after an interview but don't notify people they're on a waitlist. Outright rejections happen pretty quickly after an interview. It's most likely people are holding on to offers from the program. 

Did the programs tell you when you should be hearing back from them? If it's past the date, you can email/call for an update. 

Theres always hope until 4/15- horrible, crippling anxiety provoking hope, but it's there! 

Good luck!! 

Thank you! All I was told was that they generally let people know at the end of February...which is why it's kind of weird. I'm nervous about emailing for an update as I certainly don't want to put on pressure or anything like that. Though maybe I should...

26 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Congrats!!

14 minutes ago, schizometric said:

Congratulations!

Thank you both! Still shaking and in complete shock but so incredibly thrilled!

On 3/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, Sjbionia said:

Does anyone know when movement starts to happen on the wait list? I have heard in mid-march people start making decisions which then affects wait listers. My top choice still has two offers out; I would like to give my second choice (that I received an offer from 2.5 weeks ago) a "yes" or "no" soon...I hate making them wait but I don't want to give a definite answer until I hear that my top choice has no offers out anymore. 

I am in the same situation. I was rejected from my top choice, wait-listed at one of my second choices and accepted to the other. I am so happy to have an acceptance, but the research at the program I was wait-listed for is a little more aligned with my interests. I feel terrible holding on to the offer while waiting for an opening at another school.

@Sjbionia @HopefullyDr I'm right there with you guys. Wait-listed at my #1 and accepted to a decent but not ideal program. I, too, really don't like making the other school wait.  I wish I could know where I am on the wait-list -- is it appropriate to email them (maybe in a week or so, or late March if I haven't heard) to find out more specifically where I rank?  Is that too pushy? 

What scares me is that I know someone currently enrolled in my #1 program who got off wait-list on April 14th :unsure:.  Moreover, my colleague heard from his school that same day too a few years ago.  I'm really hoping that does NOT happen!