Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

OptimiscallyAnxious

5 hours ago, cortisol said:

If it were me, I'd assume rejection as well because I'd think that if it were an acceptance, I would have been personally contacted by the POI already. :/ But you never know, miracles could happen. Best of luck!! 

I've definitely accepted that it this point it would take a miracle! I guess I will embolden myself to reach out and ask again so if indeed it is rejection I can move on and maybe stop distracting myself with dreams about "what if".

On 3/8/2017 at 7:08 PM, AbbyB13 said:

Finally received an official waitlist email yesterday from UMKC Clinical PhD program. Rejected from 4 programs and still haven't heard from 6 programs... getting a little worried. I wish everyone struggling to cope like me the best of luck :(

Who was your POI? I got waitlisted as well at UMKC

2 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

Hi everyone! After an agonizing decision process, I've decided to decline my offer from WashU's clinical program. Posting this on here in the hopes that those on the waitlist will see this and not give up hope!

That must have been incredibly difficult. Do you mind me asking what program you landed on?

4 minutes ago, schizometric said:

That must have been incredibly difficult. Do you mind me asking what program you landed on?

Thanks for the reply. It definitely was difficult and took a lot of deliberation. I actually decided to take time off for an RAship at UCSD. There were a lot of factors that went into the decision, one being that I'm currently an undergrad at WashU and I wanted to have the opportunity to go to another institution and learn from new people. I'm also really excited about the research of the PIs I'll be working with. It's a bit of an unconventional path, but I think it's the best path for me!

8 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

Thanks for the reply. It definitely was difficult and took a lot of deliberation. I actually decided to take time off for an RAship at UCSD. There were a lot of factors that went into the decision, one being that I'm currently an undergrad at WashU and I wanted to have the opportunity to go to another institution and learn from new people. I'm also really excited about the research of the PIs I'll be working with. It's a bit of an unconventional path, but I think it's the best path for me!

I hope it works out the way you want. Kudos on making a decision based on your specific needs.

15 minutes ago, That Research Lady said:

Just got off the wait list and received an offer from my top school! I will be accepting as soon as I get the official paperwork and releasing my other offer. Don't lose faith! The wait list is moving!

Congrats!!! Hard work does one day pay off. Where will you be going if you don't mind me asking?

2 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

Just got off the wait list and received an offer from my top school! I will be accepting as soon as I get the official paperwork and releasing my other offer. Don't lose faith! The wait list is moving!

Congratulations!!!! I'm beyond happy for you and grateful that you shared this exciting news with all of us. 

2 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Congrats!!! Hard work does one day pay off. Where will you be going if you don't mind me asking?

14 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Congratulations!!!! I'm beyond happy for you and grateful that you shared this exciting news with all of us. 

Thank you both! This thread has helped me stay positive so I'm happy to contribute to that for others. I'll be going to UConn @8BitJourney

21 minutes ago, That Research Lady said:

Thank you both! This thread has helped me stay positive so I'm happy to contribute to that for others. I'll be going to UConn @8BitJourney

UConn is very competitive  (2-4% acceptance rate I think) and has great faculty so you'll definitely be in a good position in a few years (just survive the snowpocalyses XD). Congrats again!

45 minutes ago, eeepsych13 said:

I got accepted off the waitlist from my number 1 school! I will be giving up my position at South Florida (which was an incredibly hard decision, since I absolutely loved the school). I hope this helps someone on the waitlist. 

Congratulations! What's your number 1 program?

1 hour ago, eeepsych13 said:

I got accepted off the waitlist from my number 1 school! I will be giving up my position at South Florida (which was an incredibly hard decision, since I absolutely loved the school). I hope this helps someone on the waitlist. 

Oh man, if this involves school psychology, I may finally be getting off that list! 

Congrats!! I know its tough but see it as doing good for both yourself and your POI :) as you could be releasing the offer to someone who has this school as their top choice (someone on this forum did this for me actually!)

Congratulations, I love seeing good news like this posted. Thank you for sharing they joy with the rest of us. 

I was amazed at how difficult it was to turn down an offer. It really twisted me up inside. I think the better the program and faculty are, the harder it is to let go, even when you have selected what you believe to be the program for you. I never thought about this while selecting programs to apply to. 

What made it a little easier was seeing the person who got the spot I released express their excitement on the results board. That was awesome!

Edited by schizometric

49 minutes ago, schizometric said:

I was amazed at how difficult it was to turn down an offer. It really twisted me up inside. I think the better the program and faculty are, the harder it is to let go, even when you have selected what you believe to be the program for you. I never thought about this while selecting programs to apply to. 

What made it a little easier was seeing the person who got the spot I released express their excitement on the results board. That was awesome!

So true. I was amazed at how much cognitive dissonance the whole process brought up, and they way I dealt with it. I think it'd be a fun little research topic to write a short paper about (j/k)!

1 hour ago, schizometric said:

I feel you.. It actually made me sick to my stomach to let go of a MA offer even though I had PhD offers because I had bonded so well with some of the grad students in the lab I applied to. I definitely didn't expect for these decisions to be so difficult. 

1 hour ago, schizometric said:

Me too! It was really hard to give up programs, maybe because we've worked so hard to get it? Not sure but we made other people very happy :) 

On 4/6/2017 at 1:13 PM, schizometric said:

Same here. I teared up while writing the email to decline one of my other offers. I could have easily seen myself at either of my top two choices to which I received acceptances and it felt so personal to turn it down. I'm only now starting to not feel a pang of emotional pain thinking about it and I turned my other offer down like a month and a half ago! No idea who the acceptance ended up going to, I was kind of hoping to see someone post on the results board to at least feel a little better knowing someone was happy about it!