HCI, Informatics, Information Systems, Human-Centered Design Masters Thread for Fall 2017

siitrasn

8 minutes ago, dag17 said:

MHCI (design track) and HCDE

I'm guessing by MHCI (design track) you're referring to GaTech's program? I'm not aware of any other program that requires application for a specific specialization since several schools simply allow you to choose electives freely after admission.

On the results page, some people posted that they've received acceptances for Georgia Tech already, so you might want to check if historically they release results all at once or if they do it in waves. 

As for HCDE, no news has shown up on the results page so I don't think decisions have been sent out yet. Previously the program started releasing for its Masters around this time of year so it should be soon. :)

7 minutes ago, siitrasn said:

I'm guessing by MHCI (design track) you're referring to GaTech's program? I'm not aware of any other program that requires application for a specific specialization since several schools simply allow you to choose electives freely after admission.

On the results page, some people posted that they've received acceptances for Georgia Tech already, so you might want to check if historically they release results all at once or if they do it in waves. 

As for HCDE, no news has shown up on the results page so I don't think decisions have been sent out yet. Previously the program started releasing for its Masters around this time of year so it should be soon. :)

Thanks a lot! That's really helpful. :) 

I still however would like to know, if you know, about the time (EST) when the decision was emailed. CMU and UMCP included. Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, dag17 said:

Thanks a lot! That's really helpful. :) 

I still however would like to know, if you know, about the time (EST) when the decision was emailed. CMU and UMCP included. Thanks again.

CMU was around 1pm EST. Not sure about UMD.

Edited by siitrasn

Does anyone know if Gatech HCI has sent out all their decisions? I am applying for psych track but haven't heard from them yet. I've seen results from id, ic and lmc tracks..

Edited by haaangao

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, MS HCI Fall 2017 Applicant here. Completed undergrad in 2016. Brief Profile

GRE: 320 (161 V, 159 Q), GPA: 74% (~3.0), TOEFL: 104, 1 yr work ex by Aug 2017, Research Papers in 3 international conferences, 2 national conferences. Multiple Internships

Had applied for Fall 2016 when in final year. Received waitlists from Cornell Tech in NYC (MS IS Connective Media - similar to HCI) and Northwestern (EDI), reject from UMich (MSHCI), admit from Rensselaer (MS IT HCI) and Rochester (TEAM program).

Reapplied this year, have got a waitlists from UMCP (HCIM) and Northwestern EDI. Reject from Cornell. Waiting for Indiana. I guess GPA seems to be a big issue. Should I apply to:-

1. MS in Human Systems Engg at ASU - Apr 1 deadline, or
  2. MS in HCI at IUPUI - Apr 15 deadline

I really want to get into a good HCI program, hopefully in the US. Please suggest comparable programs in other countries as well.

4 hours ago, mymindym said:

GRE: 320 (161 V, 159 Q), GPA: 74% (~3.0), TOEFL: 104, 1 yr work ex by Aug 2017, Research Papers in 3 international conferences, 2 national conferences. Multiple Internships

Had applied for Fall 2016 when in final year. Received waitlists from Cornell Tech in NYC (MS IS Connective Media - similar to HCI) and Northwestern (EDI), reject from UMich (MSHCI), admit from Rensselaer (MS IT HCI) and Rochester (TEAM program).

Reapplied this year, have got a waitlists from UMCP (HCIM) and Northwestern EDI. Reject from Cornell. Waiting for Indiana. I guess GPA seems to be a big issue. Should I apply to:-

I really want to get into a good HCI program, hopefully in the US. Please suggest comparable programs in other countries as well.

Have you thought about GaTech or UW?

23 hours ago, mymindym said:

ASU reportedly has a strong program in design / HCI but I haven't really hard much about their publications in places like ACM or CHI, so I'm not that familiar with the program. If I'm not mistaken Purdue also has an OK program as well.

While GPA might be a bit weaker than average you have decent GREs to back it up. I'm not sure how strong your TOEFL score is (as a native English speaker), but that might also be a factor relative to other students. Since you already have conference publication/presentation and work experience, I'm sort of surprised you didn't get better responses from the programs you applied to. I feel like most MS programs really value and emphasize work experience.

Have you considered getting some people to read your SoPs and provide feedback on how well they address the question of why you want to study in these programs? Maybe you did plenty of work in this area already, but I feel like your SoP is probably the thing that might make or break your application.

Another thing I can think of from your application is that you're applying to programs like Northwestern EDI, which from what I know has a strong tradition in design research. I'm not sure if you're coming from an engineering/research background but if design experience is highly valued, it could be simply a mismatch between your profile and what the schools are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone else on the results thread is in the exact same situation in regards to UC Irvine MS in Information and Computer Science as myself. Any chance he/she is on the forums as well? :P

Edited by siitrasn