Skowhegan 2017

Tyra1992

19 minutes ago, tugbamina_871 said:

I didn't because I figured it would be close to the time to pack up and move to grad school but now really regretting it!! what's your medium? best of luck!!

I agree. Applying to G-School was enough of a fish to fry. (Plus I am going to Leipzig for a 6-week residency + visiting the Venice Biennial in May + a residency in NJ later in the summer)

Good luck with your Skowhegan app though @Tyra1992! 

I ended up not applying too for similar reasons—also because some MFA programs offer funding for Skowhegan, so I figured I'd wait until then. I did apply to ACRE (won't hear back until April) and Marble House Project (got a rejection letter last week). 

Good luck!!! 

Thanks! I applied for sculpture. @tugbamina_871

But y'all are probably right to wait until grad school to apply, then they can cover the fee. I just thought since it is so competitive I might as well just try and see if it works out. Seems like responses come around April so still some waiting time to wonder.

I didn't know ACRE, @sylviecerise, it looks gret tho, hope you will get it!

@Poodle-Doodle, that is awesome! You should check Documenta as well but I guess you will since you will be in Leipzig?

@YayYayYay I do have many! Thanks! Perhaps it is better to ask you here on the thread in case more people want to read about it as well? How did you like it the program? Was it a bit too intense? I really like company but also really need time alone for my practise, do you get any time for yourself during the program or is all the period you are in there fully packed? What was the best part of the program? It seems like a lot of people found the networking the most relevant part of the program? Which is fine with me, I'm just not really good at it and would like to also make sure there would be time to be a loner making works. Lol

Thank y'all!

Edited by Tyra1992

@Tyra1992 Good idea! And sorry, this response is going to be a bit long please excuse -_-

1. How did you like the program? Was it a bit too intense? 
       - I think the intensity of the program depends by the year's group. I was fortunate to be part of such a lovely community as I've heard some horror stories from before and after my year. I am still friends with a lot of the people I met there. The program for me was intense in that we got along so well, a bunch of us cried at the end of the residency. 
:-P
I miss my time there. I went to Skowhegan right after earning my BFA, and was in a weird creative block. It is hard to explain exactly why, but the experience I've had there continues to have a profoundly positive impact within me. Even for friends who at first felt the residency was a negative experience, felt that the outcome of it was immensely positive after the fact for various reasons. 

2. Loner time, social time, and networking. 
       - There is so much time to do all of it. You can literally do whatever you want with your time. Some people go to really hunker down in the studio, and others looked at this as a artist vacation. I think the most common schedule was studio during the day and party/ event in the evening. There were tons of group crits, artist talks, parties, activities, collaborations, etc that were initiated, I rarely felt guilty about choosing alone time as I knew there would be something else. There are only around 60 people every year (plus faculty, staff, etc) you end up knowing everybody's names by the 1st or 2nd week. 

3. Favorite thing. 

- The library. I wish I took photos of the covers so that I could have compiled a wishlist for myself. They have amazing books.
       - All those visiting artist talks over the years are documented for us to revisit.

4. Advice. 

- Bug. Spray. I used Herbal Armor, and carried around an electric fly swatter. Fucking deer flies.
       - For future applicants, the quality of your photos are super super important for the portfolio review. If you're not a photographer, I'd hire a professional or ask a photo friend.
       - Bringing your car. I live in Los Angeles, so driving that far (alone) wasn't something I wanted to do. But if you're pretty close, I'd consider bringing it. You're gonna want to go into town, and mailing back materials/ artwork can get costly super quick. Plus, easy way to make friends through carpool.

I hope my answers were helpful! Good luck, I hope you get in :)

4 hours ago, YayYayYay said:

@Tyra1992 Good idea! And sorry, this response is going to be a bit long please excuse -_-

1. How did you like the program? Was it a bit too intense? 
       - I think the intensity of the program depends by the year's group. I was fortunate to be part of such a lovely community as I've heard some horror stories from before and after my year. I am still friends with a lot of the people I met there. The program for me was intense in that we got along so well, a bunch of us cried at the end of the residency. 
:-P
I miss my time there. I went to Skowhegan right after earning my BFA, and was in a weird creative block. It is hard to explain exactly why, but the experience I've had there continues to have a profoundly positive impact within me. Even for friends who at first felt the residency was a negative experience, felt that the outcome of it was immensely positive after the fact for various reasons. 

2. Loner time, social time, and networking. 
       - There is so much time to do all of it. You can literally do whatever you want with your time. Some people go to really hunker down in the studio, and others looked at this as a artist vacation. I think the most common schedule was studio during the day and party/ event in the evening. There were tons of group crits, artist talks, parties, activities, collaborations, etc that were initiated, I rarely felt guilty about choosing alone time as I knew there would be something else. There are only around 60 people every year (plus faculty, staff, etc) you end up knowing everybody's names by the 1st or 2nd week. 

3. Favorite thing. 

- The library. I wish I took photos of the covers so that I could have compiled a wishlist for myself. They have amazing books.
       - All those visiting artist talks over the years are documented for us to revisit.

4. Advice. 

- Bug. Spray. I used Herbal Armor, and carried around an electric fly swatter. Fucking deer flies.
       - For future applicants, the quality of your photos are super super important for the portfolio review. If you're not a photographer, I'd hire a professional or ask a photo friend.
       - Bringing your car. I live in Los Angeles, so driving that far (alone) wasn't something I wanted to do. But if you're pretty close, I'd consider bringing it. You're gonna want to go into town, and mailing back materials/ artwork can get costly super quick. Plus, easy way to make friends through carpool.

I hope my answers were helpful! Good luck, I hope you get in :)

This answer is amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Super helpful. No idea if I will get in but you made the experience there quite visual. 

Nice to know about the library, I am a book nerd and I collect as many as my pockets allow me to do. Would love to see it there!

the bugs, lol, important tip! 

Thanks again and best of luck for your applications!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 9:03 PM, Gato04 said:

Did anybody apply with video?

Hey, sorry I respond so late. Had to sort of try to take a break from the forum to not get even more anxious.

I had one video and now. Checked the stats and I got a hit from Skowhegan in the past one week. Did you get it as well? Guess they are doing the selection now? Or first round was last week? Don't know but am freaking out! 

On March 17, 2017 at 6:58 AM, Tyra1992 said:

Hey, sorry I respond so late. Had to sort of try to take a break from the forum to not get even more anxious.

I had one video and now. Checked the stats and I got a hit from Skowhegan in the past one week. Did you get it as well? Guess they are doing the selection now? Or first round was last week? Don't know but am freaking out! 

Hy Tyra1992, for some reason the site wasn't letting me post. Back to your reply, I applied with video and yes I had a play on March 15th. Have you had any other plays since January or is this one the only one?

On 3/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, Gato04 said:

@aethiryn, I think then contact them after acceptance emails. A couple of people were accepted in the past said their recommenders hadn't been contacted yet.

Cool thank you! Was always curious about that process....like do they actually contact them while reviewing and consult? Or is it more of those, who they know? ??‍♀️

23 minutes ago, Gato04 said:

Just received my email-rejected:(

i was rejected too. But my email said I made it to the final round of review so I guess that's good although that also sucks to know I was that close....

I was hoping you'd get in Gato because, if i remember correctly, you got to the final round last year. Hopefully next year will be our year! 

Thank you for your kind words cpw0021! I didn't get that encouraging email this time– congratulations!. It seems that my application was reviewed until march 15th with a total of 14 plays between my two videos, last year the videos were reviewed until late feb and had a total of 10 plays between the two. I think that the number of plays or until when they review your work has nothing to do with the final results as someone mentioned before. Hopefully we'll get in next time! 

I was just notified that I'm on the waitlist. Does anyone know anything about the waitlist at Skowhegan/ how likely you are to be admitted if you're on it?

heystap I was waitlisted a couple of years ago. After a month of waiting they asked me if I wanted to continue on the list as it seemed very unlikely anyone would give up their space by then. Noone gave up their space then but a friend of mine was placed on the waitlist in 2013 and was lucky enough to get a spot because someone couldn't attend. I say it has a lot to do with luck...best of luck to you!

• 6 months later...