World Bank Scholarship Applicants - 2017

paxi

On 2017-6-2 at 4:34 AM, rrahman1210 said:

not june. it might be announced in mid july.

Wow... That's a long time to wait though. I assume it must be pretty tough for them to select finalists considering the increasing volume of applications year after year . 

Let's endeavour to share with the forum any info that will calm our nerves ?.. It will be good to get this over with. 

2 hours ago, MH2 said:

Hello,

Have any of you received the finalist email? Do you think we are still in the race if we have not received the email which was sent out to other finalists in May?

The real question is "Has the mail been sent? .... " I'm not sure it has (Cos of their history of pushing feedback till late June/mid July)....

I've searched online for pointers/clues and i have seen none. 

Unlike other scholarships, there are no forums out there with any relevant info about the JJWBGSP.   

On 6/4/2017 at 8:08 AM, rrahman1210 said:

MH2, i have heard some getting email in May requesting to submit letter of acceptance. the deadline was 3rd may. if no one got the email that time, he/she is no more considered for final selection i think.

Those who did not submit their offer letters during the application process were given a chance to do so... It does not mean that when you did not get that message you are out of the race... Just be a little bit patient, the  finalist list will be out next week before Friday I presume. Best of luck to you all. 

Edited by Tinaye

9 minutes ago, Tinaye said:

Those who did not submit their offer letters during the application process were given a chance to do so... It does not mean that when you did not get that message you are out of the race... Just be a little bit patient, the  finalist list will be out next week before Friday I presume. Best of luck to you all. 

FYA: Check on current announcements from World Bank Group. 

• JJ/WBGSP:
  • The Call for Scholarship Applications for JJWBGSP preferred master degree programs is closed. Applicants receiving scholarships will be informed in mid-June.
  • http://www.worldbank.org/en/programs/scholarships#5
  • Kindly take note and read carefully. 

Edited by Tinaye

I also received the email with the 3 May deadline. My programme starts in August. I dont know if I will have enough time to plan for my travel and visa. its now 8 June and my patience is being tested. Who also applied for Heller School of Social Policy MISD programme here?Are we supposed to ever pay for the enrollment deposit if we get the worldbank scholarship? 

Edited by HazyN

1 hour ago, HazyN said:

I also received the email with the 3 May deadline. My programme starts in August. I dont know if I will have enough time to plan for my travel and visa. its now 8 June and my patience is being tested. Who also applied for Heller School of Social Policy MISD programme here?Are we supposed to ever pay for the enrollment deposit if we get the worldbank scholarship? 

Do not worry, Heller understands the procedure as to how the WBG Scholarship operates and once you are selected, Heller will work tirelessly to ensure your visa process is expedited. The responses should be out by the 16th of June if all goes well. So meanwhile, relax and enjoy the last days before grad school commences. Best of luck. 

Tinaye you are also from Zimbabwe. Best of luck to you too. I was just going through their annual scholarship publication http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/887451490013013188/2016-Annual-Report-Scholarships-Program.pdf. Its a very competitive Process. Out of 5000+ applicants, they give the scholarship to less than 200 students.

Edited by HazyN

11 hours ago, HazyN said:

Great to know that you got the finalist mail . Quick one, did you submit your letter of acceptance with your initial application ? This will give some people closure. 

I did not submit letter of acceptance when I applied. But a friend of mine who applied last year submitted a letter of acceptance with her initial application but was asked to submit again when they sent finalist mail. However, I would like to believe that procedures can always change.

9 minutes ago, HazyN said:

I did not submit letter of acceptance when I applied. But a friend of mine who applied last year submitted a letter of acceptance with her initial application but was asked to submit again when they sent finalist mail. However, I would like to believe that procedures can always change.

Thanks for the response. It's nerve racking for those that didn't get the mail on the 3rd of May.

Although I submitted my acceptance letter with my application, One cannot really say what the procedure is anymore.... Lol... I do hope you get selected. You've come this far.... Cheers!!!!!

One thing i know is the World Bank seriously follows the Eligibility criteria especially the minimum of 3 years of development related experience AFTER COMPLETION OF ONES UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE to be selected as a finalist. Thats why i was not selected as a finalist last year.

This time i got the email that requested me to send my unconditional offer letter though i sent it with the application letter. 

NOTE: I had indicated three prefered courses but attached an unconditional offer for one.

In the email for finalists the Secretsriat requested for only ONE unconditional offer letter out of the courses indicated in the application which the applicant would study incase he/she wins the scholarship.

6 hours ago, Keren Adiru said:

One thing i know is the World Bank seriously follows the Eligibility criteria especially the minimum of 3 years of development related experience AFTER COMPLETION OF ONES UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE to be selected as a finalist. Thats why i was not selected as a finalist last year.

This time i got the email that requested me to send my unconditional offer letter though i sent it with the application letter. 

NOTE: I had indicated three prefered courses but attached an unconditional offer for one.

In the email for finalists the Secretsriat requested for only ONE unconditional offer letter out of the courses indicated in the application which the applicant would study incase he/she wins the scholarship.

Did you chose more than one university after you have submitted your offer letter during the application exercise. If yes, the secretariat wants to be sure of your choice that why you receive another update as a semi finalist. Because should you have chosen just one University, they would have only updated you as a finalist and not a semi finalist. 

For those of us that chose one or two courses from one university, there is high tendency that we would not receive message in May but shortlisted as a finalist in June or early July. 

14 hours ago, MH2 said:

Hey @Keren Adiru Thank you. Your comment was very helpful. Was the unconditional letter for your first preference? Congratulations to the finalists!

Yes, they only needed for the first preference. Thanks for appreciating.

I have been offered NFP (Netherland Fellowship Programme) Fellowship. Anyone knows which would be better? NFP or World bank scholarship? Any idea how much monthly allowance the world bank pays in the Netherlands? NFP pays 970 euros monthly.

7 hours ago, Steve16 said:

I have been offered NFP (Netherland Fellowship Programme) Fellowship. Anyone knows which would be better? NFP or World bank scholarship? Any idea how much monthly allowance the world bank pays in the Netherlands? NFP pays 970 euros monthly.

Hey Steve, a couple of people would love to be in your shoes right now.

1) What's the deadline for accepting the NFP offer? You need to consider it cos you wouldn't want to lose out on that cos you are expecting JJWBGSP

2) JJWBGSP pays 1000 monthly (in the currency of the country you are studying) 

3) I'd say take NFP so you won't be burdened with the restriction of the inability to work in any WB funded project in the nearest future. 

My thoughts!!!!......  :)

Edited by Mide

3 hours ago, Mide said:

Hey Steve, a couple of people would love to be in your shoes right now.

1) What's the deadline for accepting the NFP offer? You need to consider it cos you wouldn't want to lose out on that cos you are expecting JJWBGSP

2) JJWBGSP pays 1000 monthly (in the currency of the country you are studying) 

3) I'd say take NFP so you won't be burdened with the restriction of the inability to work in any WB funded project in the nearest future. 

My thoughts!!!!......  :)

Hey Mide.. I've already accepted the NFP offer. If JJWBGSP pays 1000 euros in Netherlands then there is not much difference between NFP and JJWBGSP. Thanks for the information. I have been trying to find out the financial details of JJWBGSP but it's not available on the net, plus world bank is delaying too much.