Playwriting MFAs

dampka

• 2 weeks later...

Playwriting MFA program hopeful...

Anybody heard anything yet? Interviews? Acceptances? Rejections? Anything?

Hi dampka. Another MFA playwriting hopeful here. I have heard nothing yet. If I may ask, where did you apply?

Here's the run-down for me:

Yale School of Drama

Tisch NYU

The New School

Boston University

Hi dampka. Another MFA playwriting hopeful here. I have heard nothing yet. If I may ask, where did you apply?

Here's the run-down for me:

Yale School of Drama

Tisch NYU

The New School

Boston University

Hey there,

Yeah of course! I applied at some of the same... Yale, NYU, UCLA, UCSD. As yet, haven't heard anything, either.

Hi!

I applied to Yale, Columbia, NYU, The New School, UCSD, Brown, UTA, Northwestern and SFSU. I haven't heard back from any of them. I talked to the people at New School they said they would let people know late Feb. Which is only pushed back from mid feb which is what it says on there website.

Do either of you want to trade writing samples? I would love to read you plays!

Hi Everyone!

I'm glad to hear that nobody's heard anything yet, since it means I'm not alone out there. I'm on pins and needles, checking the Northwestern application page every day. I applied to Yale, Columbia, NSD, Brown, and Northwestern. Thanks for the intel from NSD, Honeysalt. I went to New School undergrad and they can be a wee mite disorganized.

I've been telling myself that if these schools rejected me outright, I would've heard something already. Maybe that's just wishful thinking... Okay, it's totally just wishful thinking, but what can I say, I'm an optimist!

Hi Everyone!

I'm glad to hear that nobody's heard anything yet, since it means I'm not alone out there. I'm on pins and needles, checking the Northwestern application page every day. I applied to Yale, Columbia, NSD, Brown, and Northwestern. Thanks for the intel from NSD, Honeysalt. I went to New School undergrad and they can be a wee mite disorganized.

I've been telling myself that if these schools rejected me outright, I would've heard something already. Maybe that's just wishful thinking... Okay, it's totally just wishful thinking, but what can I say, I'm an optimist!

Hi Amy Beth, welcome to the thread. Looks like we're all still waiting. Oh, and honeysalt, just echoing Amy Beth's thanks on the info from The New School.

I was wondering, Amy Beth, because you are applying to The New School for your MFA, after completing your undergrad there, you obviously think highly of the program. I was wondering (if you're comfortable) if you could let us know a little something about your thoughts and experiences, an insider's perspective on the program.

Hey everyone,

This is kind of a general question... I've noticed on the boards and heard from a few friends that their directing/ acting auditions are already set up for mid-March. Do you think this means that we didn't get playwriting interviews? Is it possible that the playwriting programs interview later (or is this just wishful thinking on my part)?

Straight away, Feather, I should tell you I know very little about Drama, even after spending three years at The New School.

I loved my undergraduate education. I learned about more than I ever could have imagined, not just coursework, but about myself on a host of different levels- scholarly, political, creative. It's an odd university. My program, the "traditional" undergraduate liberal arts college (which was anything but traditional) was kind of the redheaded stepchild of the institution. Nobody knows what to do with the division and there's constant talk of doing away with it entirely. That having been said, there was, at least, some interaction between it and the other schools. You could petition to take a course at the art or music school, do combined a BA-MA program with one of the grad programs, or take summer classes at the other liberal arts division. The only college you couldn't cross-register with was Drama.

Drama's an insular program. They don't interact with the rest of the university, and even their building is several blocks from the rest of the Greenwich Village campus (it is, however, about a block from where I live, so if I wind up there in the fall, I'm not wearing shoes to class for the first month). They keep to themselves and don't really invite anyone else in.

The undergrad theatre curriculum was firmly rooted in theory and the avant-garde. It wasn't what I was interested in as an undergrad and still isn't really enjoyable for me, but my exposure to the theoretical and the postmodern has made me a more well-rounded artist. Drama's program looks as if it's got an emphasis on the 20th Century movements, but they also keep on top of what's happening now. If NSD is anything at all like Lang, a lot of what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

Has this been of any help at all? I feel as if I've been blathering on and saying very little.

This evening, I actually had my psychic to look into when I might hear from schools. She doesn't perceive time. So. Incredibly. Anxious. Gah!

Edited by Amy Beth

Hi Amy Beth,

Don't feel like you were rambling. The information you provided is MUCH appreciated. Thanks! I certainly hope you get the opportunity to just step out your door in bare-feet and walk the one block it takes to get you to the Drama program building. Best of luck, and I second that "Gah!"

So, my mom is bugging me to call the schools and ask when they're sending out letters. What do you guys think, good idea or less-than good idea?

I'm struggling with the same quandary. My gut tells me to hold out just a little bit longer, answers will come soon. Of course, let's see how my gut feels by the end of the day...It's gonna be a long one. Don't know how I'd be able to hold out if I had parental units involved in the madness. Still, answers will probably come from many schools at least by the middle/end of March, so maybe give it just a bit more time.

We'll have to wait to see if I'm able to take my own advice.

Edited by Feather

I really don't think there's anything wrong with checking in to inquire. As long as you're not calling daily, a friendly call or email saying checking in or touching base can illicit a response sooner than you think. It worked for me. If they like your work, and are considering you...they're not going to change their minds because you're excited and anxious!

I broke down and emailed the director of graduate studies for the playwriting MFA at Brown. Here's the reply:

I am still awaiting word from the graduate school as to when notification of

decisions for applicants to our graduate programs can be made. Technically,

Professor Erik Ehn handled the MFA applications in his capacity as head of

the MFA Playwriting Program, so I do not know what decisions were made.

Either he or I or the graduate program will be in touch soon, but I cannot

give you a timeline until the graduate program gives me one.

Sorry that I cannot be more specific at this time.

I had hoped for a response that would make it easier for me to be patient and wait for their decision, but I'm even more high-strung now. I should have known better.

Was anybody interviewed? I'm assuming if I didn't have an interview, I wasn't admitted. Is this reasonable?

So just to let you guys know, I got an interview at New School in New York and I did it on Monday. Pippen the department head said they got about 100 applications and interviewed 20 of them. Then they have a 24 hour collaborative work shop with the top 12 from the interviews. The work shop is with directing canadates and acting canadates and it sounds really cool. The work shop is the weekend after this one and I can't go because I'm from Seattle and can affored another ticket out. Pippen told me that it doesn't mean I'm out of the runnning. But, you know, I feel like I would be more in the running if I could show them what i can do. The program sounds amazing and super collbrative which is exactly what I want.

Also I got rejected from UTA. wasn't crazy about the program but it still stings. I haven't heard anything from the other school I applyed to: Yale, Columbia, Brown, Northwestern, SFSU, UCSD, or NYU. Have any of you heard form them?

Hey all,

For what it's worth I haven't gotten any interviews yet, either. I applied to Yale, Columbia and Julliard for Playwriting.

Anyone heard from any of those? Or are they just late in sending out notifications??

Hey all,

For what it's worth I haven't gotten any interviews yet, either. I applied to Yale, Columbia and Julliard for Playwriting.

Anyone heard from any of those? Or are they just late in sending out notifications??

I just got an interview at Columbia. I got the e-mail on Thursday.

So excited.

Has anyone heard anything more? I just found this thread after being on here for a month or so wondering if there were any other playwrights. I applied to Yale and Iowa and haven't heard from either. I understand Iowa is usually very late, as in late April or even May. I was thinking no news was good news, but now I'm not so sure.

Edited by basil

Has anyone heard anything more? I just found this thread after being on here for a month or so wondering if there were any other playwrights. I applied to Yale and Iowa and haven't heard from either. I understand Iowa is usually very late, as in late April or even May. I was thinking no news was good news, but now I'm not so sure.

I heard back that NYU will be letting people know end of March before April 1st.