Playwriting MFAs

dampka

@nerve Yes, I received an email from David Henry Hwang this morning notifying me of finalist interviews. I'm scheduled to have mine via Skype this Saturday. When filling out the doodle for scheduling there were about 14 other applicants listed (with names hidden, of course).

@greenchile That makes sense re: UCSD. Guess that means I'm also out of the running!

Hi @Animal Liberator  Most schools being talked about here only offer places to people they have interviewed, i.e. Yale, Columbia, NYU, Brown, UTA, etc.  That being said as far as I know no one has heard a word from some schools: Brooklyn College, Hunter College, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana to name a few.  Also feel free to correct me if I am wrong @greenchile but how I interpreted that post was that UCSD only told her about her application status because she reached out after having a michener acceptance.  I don't think UCSD has started conducting interviews yet.  So I wouldn't lose hope quite yet!

@jnp809

Right on the money. Those schools typically decide in mid-late March. I know I'm still waiting to hear from iowa, Ohio, Catholic and UCSD. Indiana is invite only this year - emailed Peter, the chair at Indiana, about the process this year and haven't heard back so... who knows. 

and im interpreting the UCSD info the same way. Here's to March and good news and congratulations to all accepted! 

Hello! I'm interviewing with Columbia this Saturday too. I'm a fan of David Henry Hwang and Lynn Nottage's work so just being able to meet them will be a treat. Good luck to everyone else who is interviewing!

I have to say this community is really comforting in these nerve-racking times. I got a missed call from a 909 area code this morning and while my sane self knows it was probably telemarketer, I tried to call back four times. Keep on keeping on everyone! 

Checked my Yale status. Rejected. Said nice things about my writing but encouraged me to get more professional experience. So sort of makes sense since I'm aware I don't have that many productions under my belt. Figured as much 

@SeaLou I'm sorry to hear that *hugs* The letter sounds kind and encouraging, tho! Just wondering how you checked your Yale status since the link to the online application tool on the school of drama page is not there anymore?

Just got home from opening night of my play and.... also got the rejection email from Yale. @SeaLou it sounds like your form letter might have been more encouraging than the one I got! Oh well. Certainly a weird way to end my night. The play I just opened was the script I had submitted for my application.

Oh well. Glad I know now. Best of luck to everyone!

I know what you mean @esfg1 my letter was not particularly encouraging and was pretty formulaic.  Congratulations on opening night! I hope your play has a great run, may it be the first of many. 

Edited by CocoBeans

whoa is everyone's yale rejection letter different? I thought it was generic? This was mine:

Dear Nerve,

The Admissions Committee of the Yale School of Drama has carefully reviewed your application for admission for the 2017-2018 academic year.

I regret that we are not able to offer you admission to the Playwriting department. Enrollment is highly competitive and limited to only three students per year.   As a result, it is not possible to accept many candidates like yourself whose education and background in theatre might have qualified them for admission under different circumstances.

Thank you for your interest in the School of Drama, and best wishes in your career.

Sincerely,

Because of my job, this time of year I get lots of e-mails from schools inviting me to see showcases of students work and what not, which is cool.  But every time I see Yale or UCSD or another school I applied to in my e-mail I have a mini heart attack.  This can't be healthy.  I hope we all hear back from everyone soon!

I got rejected from Brown and UCSD today. Brown with their generic rejection, but UCSD also sent a very sweet email along with theirs saying I was very talented and that they look forward to seeing my work on the stage sometime in the future. So... a let down but a kind let down nonetheless. 

2 minutes ago, jnp809 said:

Ok, wow so UCSD is notifying now.  Thanks for the update @nelletankus

I reached out to them and Deborah responded to me directly, they said they'd be reaching out officially within the next few days. 

Gotcha.  I really appreciate the update.  I'm sorry it was a no for you but it sounds like they liked your work.  Good luck with the apps you're still waiting on!

@lrb0192 Congrats! How do you plan on juggling? Is Brown going to wait for your other interviews? My Brown app is still sitting with no decision but lots of people are showing rejected so who knows. Maybe I'm your alternate in case you drop out. ;-)