Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hey @SeaLou I e-mailed Art at Iowa and got this response today: We receive a large pool of applications and can offer admission to a very small fraction of the pool. We have made offers of admission to three candidates. The process is highly competitive and unfortunately must exclude a number of talented and accomplished candidates. 

Also I know that Ohio has offered to 2 students already.  I have a phone call with Charles today.  Not sure that I will get the 3rd offer but I feel really good about it after my visit over the weekend.  That being said, I know that neither of the other 2 offers had accepted as of yesterday.  It's possible something has shifted since then.  Best of luck!  I would love it if we could be classmates there.

@SeaLou I am in the same boat with UCSD. I called a week ago to as if I'm on the waitlist at all, and they said the same thing we heard earlier, that admission was offered to three people and all accepted. Soooooo. I think they just forgot to reject us. Nice to know we made it further than most though.

Friends, has anyone heard of schools offering financial aid packages year by year? I'm accepted at UCLA, but they offer aid packages on a yearly basis. This makes me VERY nervous.

Hey @SeaLou Charles did offer me a spot.  He couldn't speak to funding yet but said that he would know later this week.  He also said that he would know if the other students he offered admission to were accepting later this week.

@faro555 from my talks with Ohio this is very typical practice at state schools since funding is subject to change due to government funding.  I think the best thing you can do is talk to current students and see if their funding has remained constant.  And/or ask UCLA if anyone has gotten X funding one year and not the next.  They should be honest with you.

Hey there, everyone!

A friend turned me on to this thread recently, so I thought I'd comment with the status of some of my applications in hopes of clearing room for some of you. I received acceptance to Rutgers this week and Carnegie Mellon last week, but have declined them because of my acceptance to Yale late last month. 

Best of luck to all of you still waiting! I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you. 

Edited by N578

Those who were among the second phase of UCSD applicants, the ten or so who were under consideration, did you receive a very formal and generic rejection? I thought for as long as I was potentially under consideration there, it would be more than a generic rejection.

Oh well. Ohio is all that's left this year for me. Last I heard, they were still considering the third slot. But congrats and best of luck to all those accepted. 

Congrats @jnp809

I got the call that I got in off the waitlist at NYU last week, but after double checking and visiting the school I'm going to decline. So there should be some more movement there soon for those still waiting! 

Edited by TalkingChickpea

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! I thought no one is here this year which scared me a little bit. 

I applied to Yale Brooklyn, UCSD, NYU, and Columbia, but none of them updated anything yet.

Congratulations on your interviews at UT and UCSD! 

It's literally just us @JsMono. We are the only three that applied to MFA programs this year :lol: Are you in Austin? I am also in Austin! I keep meeting all of these Austin playwrights through these forums, it's crazy!