Playwriting MFAs

dampka

hey! to those who are interviewing with/considering hunter. long time lurker here but feel it is a timely moment to contribute.
I got an interview with Hunter a few weeks ago and an offer to study there, which I've accepted. So anyone who is also going to Hunter-- DM me! Would love to connect virtually before the program starts

On 5/21/2019 at 9:35 PM, PlayWitch said:

You too! How was your interview?

It was great! They are so lovely - hope you get a chance to meet them. Sounds like they are still reviewing some applications and are aiming to be in touch with everyone (really, this time) by June 1.

• 3 weeks later...

@kevinmalone @lalalalawriter and anyone else headed to Hunter: 

Private message me for my email address. I will be the only remaining second-year and it would be nice to be in touch. I can't relocate to Austin because of development opportunities, etc. that I already have in motion here in NYC. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

New member here. I've decided to jump back into the MFA pool this next year after applying to a couple of programs in 2017. Reading through this thread has been very helpful.

I'm wondering what the rules typically are for recycling a writing sample for a program you once applied to if you've since made changes to the piece?

Same with recommendations - is it acceptable to reuse a recommendation for a program you applied to two years ago, particularly if said program requires three?

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, tx-nyc said:

Hi all!

New member here. I've decided to jump back into the MFA pool this next year after applying to a couple of programs in 2017. Reading through this thread has been very helpful.

I'm wondering what the rules typically are for recycling a writing sample for a program you once applied to if you've since made changes to the piece?

Same with recommendations - is it acceptable to reuse a recommendation for a program you applied to two years ago, particularly if said program requires three?

With the sample, it depends on the program. Get in touch with them to confirm. Pretty sure you can reuse your recommendations. Juilliard requires an additional or updated letter if you're reapplying, so I guess it still depends on the program.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, PlayWitch said:

How long should your resume/cv be? Is three pages too long?

Hi, I applied to schools last year, and am currently at UCSD. I cut my resume down to 2 pgs from 3 pgs last year, and that was successful for me. Though I don’t know that it would have changed anything it was 3, I just figured they were more likely to glance through it all?

I found a format that let me put education, residencies, and awards in a smaller right hand column and the bulk of my resume is play history and also some press links in the main column.

but also ??‍♀️

Good luck! Let me know if anyone has questions about UCSD.

Hey everybody! First time poster who just spent all morning at his desk job reading 80-pages of forum posts.

Just popping in to see how everyone's doing with MFA applications! It's my first time applying to programs and, with deadlines coming up soon, online commiseration has always helped with anxiety. Ha. ugh.

My main question at the moment though: what are they really looking for in a resume? I've been out of undergrad for ~4.5 years now, but I don't have much of a production history or any fellowships, awards, etc. It's mostly focused on undergrad education (acting), work experience from the past few years (screenwriting & film development), a small selection of self-produced production history and a list of plays written. It's around 2 pages, but feels very inexperienced...

Applying to UCSD (#1 choice), Austin, Iowa, Carnegie Mellon, Yale, Brown, and maybe Northwestern.

How's everybody else doing??

On 11/14/2019 at 4:37 PM, jck349 said:

Hey everybody! First time poster who just spent all morning at his desk job reading 80-pages of forum posts.

Just popping in to see how everyone's doing with MFA applications! It's my first time applying to programs and, with deadlines coming up soon, online commiseration has always helped with anxiety. Ha. ugh.

First time poster also. Just submitted for Juilliard, after spending hours and hours revising and revising my statement. Definitely found it anxious making!

On 11/14/2019 at 4:37 PM, jck349 said:

My main question at the moment though: what are they really looking for in a resume? I've been out of undergrad for ~4.5 years now, but I don't have much of a production history or any fellowships, awards, etc. It's mostly focused on undergrad education (acting), work experience from the past few years (screenwriting & film development), a small selection of self-produced production history and a list of plays written. It's around 2 pages, but feels very inexperienced...

Applying to UCSD (#1 choice), Austin, Iowa, Carnegie Mellon, Yale, Brown, and maybe Northwestern.

How's everybody else doing??

Hey there. First time poster/applicant here, as well. I got a little over-caffeinated a few weeks ago and submitted everything in one day. Now I'm anxiously trying to get my recommenders to put some speed on their submissions. I am also applying to Austin (Michener), CMU, and Yale. Potentially Brooklyn College but still feeling it out.

I feel like resumes are extremely flexible - when I look at the profiles of recent alums/students in these programs, they're mostly people coming out of academic settings. I'm obviously no expert, but as long as you feel like it reflects the work that has actually been impactful to you and isn't just long for the sake of being long, it's probably fine :)

Nice! I'm applying to the Austin Theatre & Dance school, not Michener... Have you been able to find concrete info on the differences between the two? They seem to have the same faculty. My guess is that the T&D program has more of an emphasis on production, but that's just pure guessing.

Haha, yeah, some of the students are fresh out of undergrad and some seem to have had tons of fellowships and productions already. I've just been getting so in my head about resumes and Statements of Purpose that I need to keep reminding myself that the hardest & most important part is already done--actually *writing* the plays

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 7:39 PM, jck349 said:

How's everyone doing! Mid-December, feels like we're halfway through all the deadlines!

Well now in early January feeling tense ?Wondering if more of us will come out of the woodwork? How are you doing?

On 11/20/2019 at 10:19 AM, jck349 said:

Nice! I'm applying to the Austin Theatre & Dance school, not Michener... Have you been able to find concrete info on the differences between the two? They seem to have the same faculty. My guess is that the T&D program has more of an emphasis on production, but that's just pure guessing.

Haha, yeah, some of the students are fresh out of undergrad and some seem to have had tons of fellowships and productions already. I've just been getting so in my head about resumes and Statements of Purpose that I need to keep reminding myself that the hardest & most important part is already done--actually *writing* the plays

I can answer this one! It seems you should really only apply to Michener, not T&D. Michener comes with like a $30,000 stipend per year plus free tuition and insurance. I went down for interviews last fall having only applied to T&D because I didn't know the difference either. They are essentially the same program, you just have to have a secondary focus for Michener (I guess some people do film/tv, which most people would want to take anyway). And as I mentioned before, Michener gives you $$$. I think the T&D MFA is not fully funded...? That was the vibe I got. It should be clearer on their sites.

Edited by captbaka

Hi all! First time poster/applier. Hope everyone is doing well in this very anxious time. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with Hunter College? As far as I can find out, they seem to still have only an "acting"  head and no clear faculty announced. Would love to know if anyone knows anything more. Thanks! Hope everyone is getting through it!

Hey everybody,  

I just wanted to say--I'm in the Hunter MFA and it's been great so far.  Great teachers and workshops (Karen Hartman, Lisa D'Amour, Clare Barron, Lauren Yee) and the new director of the program is really supportive. There's still a week left to apply.   Best of luck to everyone and keep writing!

17 hours ago, Ezra Brain said:

Hi all! First time poster/applier. Hope everyone is doing well in this very anxious time. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with Hunter College? As far as I can find out, they seem to still have only an "acting"  head and no clear faculty announced. Would love to know if anyone knows anything more. Thanks! Hope everyone is getting through it!

heyy I went to hunter under Branden and Annie, but even when they were there they each only taught one class each and the same basic format is still intact. it's a great program if you live in New York (or want to) and have a full life/job. All the classes are at night and you can take electives throughout the CUNY system plus have a chance to see lots of stuff in the city. they get a good array of teachers who taught us really different approaches/styles and there is a chance to TA/get teaching experience. aps are due on Jan 15 i highly rec applying! 

A Hunter Question: I applied to Hunter last year. Will possibly do so again this year, but I'm having trouble opening a new application -- when I go to the dashboard in applyyourself it only gives me the option to view my 2019 application. Any ideas for how to fix this without dealing with tech support? Screencap attached.

Capture.PNG

18 hours ago, Ezra Brain said:

Hey! I'm a current Hunter MFA Playwright and I second that I am loving my experience in the program! Christine is an incredible mentor and teacher and is doing so much for the program. It's affordable and the program basically pays for itself with what it offers beyond the classes themselves (seeing shows for $15, individual workshops with playwrights, free rehearsal space, free gym membership even!). Though it's technically a "transitional time" it doesn't feel that way at all and the program is running smoothly. The only "difference" is there just is more of a dialogue between program and student on what's working, what could be improved, etc. which is awesome! I feel really cared for and heard. I would highly recommend applying!!

13 minutes ago, SeltzerBot said:

A Hunter Question: I applied to Hunter last year. Will possibly do so again this year, but I'm having trouble opening a new application -- when I go to the dashboard in applyyourself it only gives me the option to view my 2019 application. Any ideas for how to fix this without dealing with tech support? Screencap attached.

Capture.PNG

if I recall correctly, I think you have to make a new account to apply again!

On 1/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, captbaka said:

I can answer this one! It seems you should really only apply to Michener, not T&D. Michener comes with like a $30,000 stipend per year plus free tuition and insurance. I went down for interviews last fall having only applied to T&D because I didn't know the difference either. They are essentially the same program, you just have to have a secondary focus for Michener (I guess some people do film/tv, which most people would want to take anyway). And as I mentioned before, Michener gives you $$$. I think the T&D MFA is not fully funded...? That was the vibe I got. It should be clearer on their sites.

Ahhh! I ended up only applying to T&D... It seemed like it had a focus on teaching and practical production compared to Michener. It still seemed like the funding was pretty decent for it though?